Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road
How Often and How Far...?

Not going to post a poll cause there are too many variables in the answers, but:

How often do you go out sailing (in season) ...every weekend...? Once or twice a month...? Couple times a year...? everyday cause your in the Navy...?

And related to that...How far do you live from the water/your boat...?
Is the lake in the back yard...? You live in town nearby...? You travel 1-2 hrs to get there...? Further...?

I ask cause I'm not near a lake suitable for my boat and need to travel, wondering if an in water slip is justified for the 4-5 times a year I'm thinking of going out, or if I'd be better off with a "dry slip" (boat on trailer) and just launch when I do get to go..?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We live 1-1/2 hour's away from the boat.
Drive up every Friday and Home on Sunday. There are very few exceptions to the rule; weddings and funerals. My wife joins me for 99.99% of that time. Rarely am I up alone.
I recently checked our log and there have been only three weekends out of the six month season that we have a 0 in the miles logged.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-10-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We live on the boat and go out every chance we get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 10-10-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
67 days aboard this year, with 57 overnights (so far). The bulk of this is during summer, but we get out year round though less tolerant of rain and cold than we used to be.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Only missed three weekends since early May. Usually anchor or moor out. Spent a few straight weeks as well. Most this year was 16 straight days aboard while cruising the New England coastline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
67 days aboard this year, with 57 overnights (so far). The bulk of this is during summer, but we get out year round though less tolerant of rain and cold than we used to be.
wimps ....

We would spend at least 35 weekends on board plus 6 - 8 weeks continuous.

Being Australians, who are obviously a tougher breed than Canadians we find in recent times we are more tolerant of rain and cold than once was the case.

jrd22 likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-10-2011
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road
I'm getting the feeling I may be going out more often than I originally calculated...
Old 10-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Squidd ... should have added ... we are 15 minutes from boat so travel is not an issue. I'd also note that we are essentially without families. we've never had children, the Wombet only has a brother, I only have a mother who does not live nearby and a brother interstate. The weekends we don't get down to the boat are the weekends spent visiting family. My guess is that the more family you have and/or the closer they live to you the more they will get in the way of your boating.

We get away so much largely because of somewhat selfish attitude which puts our time spent on board as the most precious.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-10-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Our marina is two hours away. It feels like a mini vacation each weekend. We made friends with our slip neighbors and we keep an eye on each others boats when one of us is away. We like the town and consider it another home.

We used to have a 22 footer that we kept there. I hate trailering so was OK paying for the slip. Now we keep our 30 footer in the same marina. The marina leaves a bottle of wine in the cabin each year when they launch our boat.

The marina is small and the staff knows our boat and its problems well. The mechanic who works on the engine has performed miracles. Originally I chose this particular marina because they didn't charge extra to keep my 22 footer in a 30 foot slip but since then we've come to appreciate the professionalism and knowledge of the staff, most of whom race and one who was a member of a couple America's Cup teams.

We also like that if we want to fix something ourselves, they are more than willing to tell us how to do it and have even allowed us to use their tools on the few occasions when we didn't have our own. We like having the option of trying to save money but knowing they will bail us out if we need it.

I guess my point of all that is to say that I'd miss the interaction with other boaters if we weren't renting a slip.

We don't sail every weekend but this season we came close.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-10-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
wimps .... .....
Being Australians, who are obviously a tougher breed than Canadians we find in recent times we are more tolerant of rain and cold than once was the case.

Roller main, full cockpit enclosure (despite no real winter), watermaker, living in the lap of luxury and WE'RE the wimps???
jrd22 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)