Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dr, there's still something terribly out of context there since "Voluntary vessels not equipped with DSC must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz" that's a marine HF frequency, not a VHF frequency and simply not relevant, much less physically possible.

IIRC isn't 2182 the old international HF distress frequency which even the USCG also stopped monitoring some five years ago?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dr, there's still something terribly out of context there since "Voluntary vessels not equipped with DSC must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz" that's a marine HF frequency, not a VHF frequency and simply not relevant, much less physically possible.

IIRC isn't 2182 the old international HF distress frequency which even the USCG also stopped monitoring some five years ago?
Perhaps it would be best if you read the entire Code of Federal Regulations sections that are cited. The Coast Guard tries to make the law easier for the layperson to understand, whence the statement that preceded the citations that I copied from the Coast Guard site. The first section covers commercial vessels, the second recreational vessels. 2182 kHz is a single sideband frequency and is used on recreational vessels and is required once you leave US waters. Offshore boats will more often than not have both installed.

47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 11-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I do monitor Ch16 almost always though I sometimes prefer silence or some tunes off the iPod, in which case I may have the volume down on the VHF.

As far as coast guard response, my complaint is it seems like the radio watch standers are fairly inexperienced and are simply handed a checklist which they often seem more intent on completing, than actually assiting in managing the situation.

I've often heard repeated queries from a CG watchstander inquiring if everyone had on a PFD, or for a description of their vessel, while information from onsite skippers that were actually addressing the problem at hand were ignored or missed.

If you've every heard an ATC controller handle an inflight emergency you've heard an example of better training. They still get the souls on board kind of data, but they work it in among managing the issue and providing useful assistance to the pilot. With the CG it seems the checklist of required questions takes priority to actually providing any assistance. I've often thought if I were the skipper of a vessel in distress, I might have to use the "Standby" phrase which is the radio equivilent of shut up while I deal with this and I'll ask for specfic help when I figure it out.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 11-21-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I do monitor Ch16 almost always though I sometimes prefer silence or some tunes off the iPod, in which case I may have the volume down on the VHF.

As far as coast guard response, my complaint is it seems like the radio watch standers are fairly inexperienced...
At Sectors Delaware Bay and Baltimore at least, the majority of them are the newest recruits.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 11-21-2011

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
Sometimes similar ineptitude can be heard in SF Bay amoung our beloved Coasties. Having made a pan pan call before and remembering the questions I got, as well as listening to all the other calls I've heard over the years I think I'd be inclined to answer those questions in my initial contact after a successfull hail. Good procedure, for a mayday or a pan pan call would be to give your vessels name, position, and nature of distress, so it's a no-brainer to include enough status information that the first of those initial check-list questions don't have to be asked.

I moniter 16 on a handheld clipped to me (I singlehand a lot so I want to take it to the mast or bow with me when I go).
Old 11-22-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Regarding the Stereo vs. VHF issue: I installed a panel over the back of the cockpit instruments which allowed me to move the VHF next to the companionway. The boat has stereo speakers in the salon and cockpit and I usually have music playing. However this arrangement allows me to hear the gist of whats happening on the VHF and mute the stereo if needed (have a remote for that). As you can see, it also gives me a place for keys, a light, some switches and a bag for anything I need access to from the cockpit, but don't want to get wet (i.e., a IPOD which is linked to the stereo, binoculars, etc),. Previously, I had to come into the Salon to operate (much less hear) the VHF. One of the best additions I've made to the boat! Many boats are built with this set up, yet have the VHF deep in the Salon. I recommend moving the VHF to the companion way. Hand helds are great, but it often seems people don't turn them on, know where the are, charge them, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
How many monitor VHF 16 while sailing?-1122111323.jpg  
AdamLein likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 11-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sometimes it is not necessary to read the CFR.

"The U.S. Coast Guard only monitors distress alert signals broadcast using digital 406 MHz emergency position indicating radio beacons as of 1 Feb. 2009. Satellite processing from all 121.5 or 243 MHz locators was discontinued. Digital 406 MHz models became the only ones approved for use in both commercial and recreational watercraft worldwide on 1 Jan. 2007, the Coast Guard said.[5]"
from 2182 kHz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
I found other references that confirm my memory, 2182 was obsoleted as far back as 1998 in some parts of the world as the new global distress system came online and 406 epirbs became standard.
If you think CFR requires recreational sailors to carry and use 2182 equipment, which our own USCG no longer monitors (2009 was the end of a LONG grace period), good luck with that interpretation. The FCC seems to think there are no, none, zero, requirements for recreational boaters, aka yacht owners, to carry radios of any kind, either transmitters or receivers, anywhere on the planet. That's not commercial vessels, that's not compulsory service vessels, that's pleasure boaters like 90%+ of this forum (and this topic) are. Not required to carry medium-wave (2182kHz) or VHF at all.

Page two within your linked URL of 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310 also cites "68 FR 46967 August 7, 2003" and that may be the problem. This is an obsoleted reference to regulations that have since been changed. 2182 is dead, and there was quite a lot of protest about that--over a decade ago.
Old 11-25-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
The FCC seems to think there are no, none, zero, requirements for recreational boaters, aka yacht owners, to carry radios of any kind, either transmitters or receivers, anywhere on the planet. That's not commercial vessels, that's not compulsory service vessels, that's pleasure boaters like 90%+ of this forum (and this topic) are. Not required to carry medium-wave (2182kHz) or VHF at all.
Ah but here lies the rub.. IF you do carry one, like perhaps 99% of the recreational boaters on this forum do, then you ARE required to monitor it...

So no, you're not "required" to have a VHF but IF you do, voluntarily, then you are then required to monitor it..
DRFerron and Bilgewater like this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-25-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
"The U.S. Coast Guard only monitors distress alert signals broadcast using digital 406 MHz emergency position indicating radio beacons as of 1 Feb. 2009. Satellite processing from all 121.5 or 243 MHz locators was discontinued. Digital 406 MHz models became the only ones approved for use in both commercial and recreational watercraft worldwide on 1 Jan. 2007, the Coast Guard said.[5]"
As far as I can tell, this statement doesn't address channel 16 at all (156.8 MHz). So you're only making a claim about HF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoaccess.gov
e-CFR Data is current as of November 22, 2011

Voluntary vessels equipped with VHF-DSC equipment must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz and on either 156.525 MHz (Channel 70) or VHF Channel 16 aurally whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate.
This is from the following page: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:
Old 11-25-2011
A mod and her dragon

I posted a link to the entire section. It might be better to read it in its entirety because if pieces are extracted, almost any argument for whatever your opinion is can be made. It covers commercial, recreational, EPIRBs (which is what the last post refers to) HF and VHF.

For example, Adam's quote from hellosailor refers to EPIRBs and Adam is pointing out that it doesn't say anything about Ch. 16. No, it doesn't, but other paragraphs within the CFR do.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine