Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Voluntary vessels equipped with VHF-DSC equipment must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz "
If I take that literally, it means any voluntary vessel that has chosen to acquire VHF-DSC instead of plain old VHF, must also now acquire and monitor the 2182 medium wave equipment which...is not even monitored by the USCG or the international community.

Sorry, guys, but there's something wrong here. Like old blue laws prohibiting the sale of ice cream on a Sunday if you're wearing blue pants. If they're still on the books...doesn't matter much anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchallenger View Post
Sometimes similar ineptitude can be heard in SF Bay among our beloved Coasties. Having made a pan pan call before and remembering the questions I got, as well as listening to all the other calls I've heard over the years I think I'd be inclined to answer those questions in my initial contact after a successful hail. Good procedure, for a mayday or a pan pan call would be to give your vessels name, position, and nature of distress, so it's a no-brainer to include enough status information that the first of those initial check-list questions don't have to be asked.
The incident in my OP was in SF. I could hear the CG station clearly, but only occasionally heard the Skipper who issued the Mayday (he wasn't on the radio long!). The CG was going through the list you describe, and I could hear the skipper panicking and abandoning ship, while the CG was routinely plodding through the list. Later, as I said in my OP, two vessels and the CG helicopter were on scene. The CG station was apparently unaware of the second vessel AND their own helicopter (though I was aware of all three). To your point, the CG station was asking the tug Capitan for for a description of the raft the victim was in. The CG helicopter had to break in to inform the CG station that they were on scene. I understand the need for protocol, and don't want to rag on the CG too much. However, for me, the moral of the story is that it's good form for all of us to monitor 16, regardless of what the regs say (and I'm not sure we are clear on WHAT they say!). Whenever I see a regulation start out with "Generally" and then fail to note the exceptions, it makes me nervous!
One thing IS clear though....Whenever the law forbidding eating Ice Cream on Sundays was abolished (previous post), that is CLEARLY when this county went off the tracks! Sorry...said I wouldn't get political.
Just re read it and realized it was the sale of Ice Cream on Sunday if you were wearing blue pants. That WAS over the top. They should have just banned the sale on Sunday outright (generaly speaking)!

Last edited by L124C; 11-26-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2011

DouglasYoung is on a distinguished road
The question isn't about being required it's a question about if you do or not. That being said yes I monitor 16.
Old 12-05-2011

luck66 is on a distinguished road
Yes I monitor 16 on and off the water.
Old 12-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck66 View Post
.........and off the water.
why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck66 View Post
Yes I monitor 16 on and off the water.
I believe it's illegal to operate a marine VHF off the water.
Old 12-05-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I believe it's illegal to operate a marine VHF off the water.
It is. It's OK to listen as long as you don't broadcast. The marinas and restaurants who respond to VHF calls from land have a special license.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-05-2011

DrB will become famous soon enough
Bad Doggie.

I do not usually monitor Channel 16 and I know others that do not either.

I really have no worthwhile excuse. Our radio is mounted in the salon/nav table area with speaker pointed away from companion way. Hearing it from the cockpit is difficult even with the sound volume up. When I did monitor, every weekend it was like listening to a sports call in radio show. Inane garble every minute. Someone looking for a mooring, some one looking for fuel dock, slip, some one looking for the harbor entrance, boat XYZ, etc.

This year one of my batteries wasn't charging well so I had only one for engine start. It was so bad, that we typically didn't use GPS or wind/depth instruments in order to save power on longer sails for engine restart.

I do have a handheld and could monitor with that, but that could only be useful in the cockpit. However, the problem with the inane chat would still exist and one of the reasons I like sailing is the quiet.

DrB
Old 12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
I do not usually monitor Channel 16 and I know others that do not either. I really have no worthwhile excuse. Our radio is mounted in the salon/nav table area with speaker pointed away from companion way. Hearing it from the cockpit is difficult even with the sound volume up. When I did monitor, every weekend it was like listening to a sports call in radio show. Inane garble every minute. Someone looking for a mooring, some one looking for fuel dock, slip, some one looking for the harbor entrance, boat XYZ, etc.
This year one of my batteries wasn't charging well so I had only one for engine start. It was so bad, that we typically didn't use GPS or wind/depth instruments in order to save power on longer sails for engine restart.
I do have a handheld and could monitor with that, but that could only be useful in the cockpit. However, the problem with the inane chat would still exist and one of the reasons I like sailing is the quiet.
DrB
I certainly agree with you about enjoying the quiet. Oddly, one of the things I enjoy most about sailing is when I turn off the diesel and glide away under sail. The contrast can almost be startling!
However, as I've indicated, I think it's important that we are aware of whats happening out there. Given this thread, I hope you will reconsider. In any case, if your weak batteries (or anything else) fail you and you need a tow or assistance, I'll be listening.

Last edited by L124C; 12-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2011

Just thought of another example of why it is in a Skipper's interest to monitor 16. Years ago, we were sailing in the SF bay, when we heard the Coast Guard issue a Securite (warning) on 16 about two 60 foot "Deadheads" (pilings) that were floating in San Pablo Bay. By the time we headed home (San Pablo Bay) it was Dusk. We were keeping a lookout for the Deadheads, and sure enough, found them in our path (what are the odds!). Had it not been for the warning earlier in the day, I doubt we would have seen them. Could have been a really bad ending to a nice day!
These warnings are fairly common around here. In fact, Army Corps of Engineers has a small ship ("Baykeeper") with a claw that does nothing but pick debris out of the bay. Obviously, on this day, two 60 foot Deadheads were not the priority! Most of the debris reports are provided to the CG by Skippers. I know, because I provided one and it came back as a Securite.

Last edited by L124C; 12-07-2011 at 04:10 PM.