Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
after a few hours the new helmsman gets a bit faster on the tiller and figures out flat is fast.
Depends on the boat. Mine is fastest at about 15-20 degrees of heel. It does suprise me when someone who learned to sail on keel boat gets in a small boat and doesn't even think about easing the main or heading up when they start to heel a lot. But, it is just not something that is part of their experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I love tillers. I learned to sail back in the early 80s with a local charter club sailing Cat, Oday & Ericson 27s which all had tillers. My Cat 36 has a wheel, but I miss coming in from a day of sailing, standing up with one bare foot on the tiller, one hand on the end of the boom....just makes you feel like a REAL sailor.

Mike
Old 12-02-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I've just about got the main all the way up when WHOOPS! Off the wind she falls and my crew tells me "I can't hold her!"
I agree with all those that say going from a wheel to a tiller or vice versa can take a bit of getting used to. But, if the sheet was still tight and she was only off by a small bit, the sail would fill and I can understand how she would not have been able to hold her. Ease the sheet and let it be slack and you have more wiggle room.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-18-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Well, I always have a slack sheet and boom vang before I hoist the main, specifically because I don't want it to take the wind and begin sailing before I'm ready. What happened is that the crew allowed her to fall off a bit, and then just the force of the wind on the flapping main overpowered the crew at the helm and pushed her over more until the main had taken up all the slack and filled.

I agree that my boat is skittish to steer, but my crew is an experienced sailor, and helmed a 40-something multihull down on a BVI trip for hours on end. Now, a 40-something multihull is not going to respond to the wheel like a 28' single hull, but I was still surprised at how quickly the boat got on top of the crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 12-18-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If the main filled, shouldn't that have caused her to round up, rather than fall off? Was the jib already flying? Was a motor running to keep water over the rudder?

I'm not doubting the story. Just curious. Mental picture practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-18-2011
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
My first boat had a wheel that faced aft. You stood in front of the wheel, and reached behind you to turn the wheel. It was easy to remember how to work it. Basically it's a combination of a wheel being opposite to a tiller, but since the wheel is behind you and facing aft, it's the opposite of a wheel to... in a way.

Got it?

Non-sailors would regularly mistake the stern of my double-ender for the "front of the boat." Especially with that wheel sticking out of the stern...

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 12-18-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If the main filled, shouldn't that have caused her to round up, rather than fall off? Was the jib already flying? Was a motor running to keep water over the rudder?

I'm not doubting the story. Just curious. Mental picture practice.
The engine was running on idle just to keep her into the wind. The main sheet and boom vang were completely off so that the main could spill to either side to allow for steering. The jib was on the deck. The main went up, caught the wind and we went slightly to port, putting us on a starboard tack (still with the loose sheet and vang).

Now, in all the years I've single handed her, I've never had a bit of trouble bringing her back to the wind with the engine on idle. Never ever. Especially not in the 7-10 winds we were having at the time. Even the few times I've sailed with the Admiral at the tiller, she's never had a problem keeping the boat into the wind for hoisting.

It boggled my mind as well.

Monrovia, MD
Old 12-18-2011

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road
Love tillers. My Tartan 27 and C&C 34 both tiller steered. Remember, the famous Dorade is tiller steered, a 52 foot yawl, only one of the greatest boats of all time!
Old 12-18-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Steering wheels are for cars!
Amen!

Old 12-18-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
When reversing...
...Where you aim is approximately where the boat will head.
Not in a Vega