Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Think yourself lucky, I have to lean over the transom to reach the engine controls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
I would travel into the slip with just enough speed that you can have it in idle reverse so when you need to stop you can just tap it with your foot. Works for me.
Old 11-23-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
One lever is nice. I have one for throttle and one for gear. I usually leave the throttle at idle and move in and out of forward/reverse as needed. I found that a slow, stable approach to the slip minimizes the need to "jockey the throttle".
Old 11-23-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
This does not apply in all situations, but, when I want to pull up to my pin I throttle in reverese. While at the controls I watch over the side or transom at the water to see if I am still moving. I do have to take my eyes off the target for a few moments. Once stopped, I can pop it out of gear and go forward to grab the mooring.
Old 11-23-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
My previous boat had the throttle and selector down low. As others have pointed out, slow and steady wins the race.

I did consider fashioning a longer, removable, handle extension to attach to the fwd/rev lever just for docking.

Being on a mooring, most of my docking is coming up alongside.

Getting into or out of a slip is something I do once or twice a year. It can be pretty nerve racking. Acting like a prairie dog while docking just ads to the mess.
Old 11-23-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
My previous boat had the throttle and selector down low. As others have pointed out, slow and steady wins the race.

I did consider fashioning a longer, removable, handle extension to attach to the fwd/rev lever just for docking.

Being on a mooring, most of my docking is coming up alongside.

Getting into or out of a slip is something I do once or twice a year. It can be pretty nerve racking. Acting like a prairie dog while docking just ads to the mess.
This is exactly how I feel- a prairie dog- lol. I might try a piece of pvc pipe as an extension, even a 18 inch long piece would help a lot. I do like another poster said, look at the water to see how fast and relative motion of the boat, but that still is like driving a car by looking out a side window. I do go slow into the slip, but at times the wind will push me off and I back out and leave the slip and come around again. When this happens, the wind can blow the bow off and it would be nice to see what is happening while I am working engine controls. My slip is also basically a double slip with not even a piling between me and the boat next to me. So if the wind starts pushing the bow off, I can hit the boat next to me.
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 11-23-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Slow is most certainly Pro

A technique I found useful (depending on the cockpit layout):

Stand with tiller between legs, steer with legs, this allows hands to be free to manipulate throttle and lines. Generally, manuvering into a slip requires small steering inputs, so the leg method works fine.

I also find it easier to "Prairie Dog" while standing up.
Old 11-23-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
This is exactly how I feel- a prairie dog- lol. I might try a piece of pvc pipe as an extension, even a 18 inch long piece would help a lot. I do like another poster said, look at the water to see how fast and relative motion of the boat, but that still is like driving a car by looking out a side window. I do go slow into the slip, but at times the wind will push me off and I back out and leave the slip and come around again. When this happens, the wind can blow the bow off and it would be nice to see what is happening while I am working engine controls. My slip is also basically a double slip with not even a piling between me and the boat next to me. So if the wind starts pushing the bow off, I can hit the boat next to me.
Thanks for all the advice.
PVC pipe is just what I had in mind.

....and now "prairie dogging" has at least two meanings
Old 11-23-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
I don't know how Schock expects you to stand and reach lever at same time. With that extension could be possible. Mine is even worse as mine is a T with a trigger that must. be engaged to shift between forward and reverse. I leave bumpers permanently on the dock side. If wind is bad coming in or leaving hang some off the boat on your slip mates side for a little extra peace of mind. No answer 4 me but that extension may work 4 u.
Old 11-23-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
I don't know how Schock expects you to stand and reach lever at same time. With that extension could be possible. Mine is even worse as mine is a T with a trigger that must. be engaged to shift between forward and reverse. I leave bumpers permanently on the dock side. If wind is bad coming in or leaving hang some off the boat on your slip mates side for a little extra peace of mind. No answer 4 me but that extension may work 4 u.
On my boat, I could not stand (steering with legs) and reach the engine levers- would still need to bend down and into the blind spot.
I also do the same with fenders, leave them tied to the dock and hang some extras. Have some on the boat on the side that may contact slip mate. So far have not had any issues with contacts, but had some close calls, getting better at docking, although want to be in full control of the boat and not to depend on the fenders. Leaving the dock I take the dock lines and pull to revese out to get some speed up and then jump on the boat and hit the reverse throttle and back out. Works well and in reverse, visability is not a problem as the transome is low.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.