Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Seems to me if you tied off the stern first, with a large fender at mid-ship and engine in slow forward, the bow would be pushed toward port, keeping the ship snugged to the pier. However, not sure I like the idea of jumping off a boat with the engine running in gear.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you control engine throttle and gear-slip.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Seems to me if you tied off the stern first, with a large fender at mid-ship and engine in slow forward, the bow would be pushed toward port, keeping the ship snugged to the pier. However, not sure I like the idea of jumping off a boat with the engine running in gear.
Normally I come in at about a 45 degree angle off the pier I tie to. If I come in at any less of an angle, the wind will push the boat away from the pier and the only choice I have then is to back out and try docking manuver again. If the boat is farther from the pier than what I can safely step off to, I must abandon the docking as I have now way to move boat closer to pier and I am then endager of hitting slipmates boat.

To tie off stern first and to have the boat in slow forward is of really no benefit and actually a danger. If I am on the pier able to tie the stern, I might as well tie the mid cleat and be done with it- the boat is now secure. to have the boat in gear and no one at the controls or on the boat is a big danger. Also, in this situation I now not only need to physically hold the wind loads on the boat, but also the prop loads. If somthing happens to me, the boat is in gear and might get spun around and head out of the dock. With no engine, worst thing that can happen is boat smacks the pier or slipmates boat, but after that she will stay in the slip and get banged around but not go anywhere (wind will keep pushing her into the slip).

Last edited by casey1999; 11-30-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
I find I'm almost always better off with a midship spring first. It's on the end of the finger with an eye, ready to drop on the mid cleat as I approach at an angle and turning to use the inertia of 22 tons to come along side. Boat does NOT go where it is pointing but where its pivot point is going.The spring is already the correct length so boat stops graceful or not. And wind or current will determine which way I run for the next line.but usually get the stern to prevent it kicking out as spring comes taut. I'm 55 ' overall , all windage foreward so timing is everything. Practice makes it look easy.
Old 11-30-2011

simpsoned is on a distinguished road
I use my feet....and like others, do it barefoot...but the added thing is I have to back my boat into the slip...which is a whole new wrinkle...basically, take it slow, but be sure that you have enough headway to maintain control...and make sure your crew can leap tall buildings (or at least clear the gap between the boat and the dock).

Ed
Skipper, "Das Dawg Haus"
"I'm the skipper, when my wife lets me"