SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   How do you control engine throttle and gear (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/81016-how-do-you-control-engine-throttle-gear.html)

casey1999 11-22-2011 01:35 PM

How do you control engine throttle and gear

On my boat, the engine throttle and gear selector are located near the floor of the cockpit. When docking I need to adjust throttle and shift gear a lot. When I do this I have no visibility as I need to lean down into the cockpit to reach the lever. I could use my foot, but would not have good control and might crash into the dock. This is only a real issue when I come into the dock and need to shift to reverse and give it some throttle to stop the boat. Basically doing this blind.
How do you do it?
Regards

nickmerc 11-22-2011 03:13 PM

I use my foot on my boat. Usually I am barefoot which I think makes it easier.

CaptainForce 11-22-2011 04:36 PM

Many of us have these controls high on a binnacle post with wheel steering. I assume you have a tiller, but would it be possible to use longer control cables and move the control levers to a higher position?

casey1999 11-22-2011 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I have a tiller and no practical place to moung higher. If I did mount higher, the controls would get in the way during normal sailing, or may even get damaged. A wheel with the pedistal makes things easier for mounting, and for control.

Maybe just need to train dog to be the "throttle man".

Lake Superior Sailor 11-22-2011 05:19 PM

I keep my speed to a minimum,only enough to maintain steerage,at that speed I find plenty of time to handle the shift,throttle,&tiller. I reserve reverse for my screw ups!Besides at slow speeds I can stop it.---Dale

casey1999 11-22-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor (Post 799676)
I keep my speed to a minimum,only enough to maintain steerage,at that speed I find plenty of time to handle the shift,throttle,&tiller. I reserve reverse for my screw ups!Besides at slow speeds I can stop it.---Dale

I also try to keep my speed very low. Problem I have is I normally have a 25 knot wind blowing me directly into my slip. I go in bow first and need to basically power into the slip using reverse to counter the 25 knot wind. The wind somtimes is also trying to blow me off the slip so I hit reverse to use prop walk to bring the boat up to the dock. With crew on board I would have little problem, but when single handed it can be difficult as once I get the boat stopped and against the dock, I need to get off quick to tie her down before the wind takes control.

CaptainForce 11-22-2011 06:27 PM

The dog's paw blocks my view, but that control lever looks like the type that I used to have. Don't these have "snap disconnects" that allow you to pull the handles out of the base when they might be in the way of sailing? With that feature you should be able to have them mounted higher, right?

casey1999 11-22-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 799691)
The dog's paw blocks my view, but that control lever looks like the type that I used to have. Don't these have "snap disconnects" that allow you to pull the handles out of the base when they might be in the way of sailing? With that feature you should be able to have them mounted higher, right?

The control is for a yanmar 3gmd. It is the throttle/gear selector on one lever (fwd/neutral/reverse). My controls do not disconnect, but I understand there are newer types that have controls that disconnect or fold away- that would work better.

CaptainForce 11-22-2011 08:40 PM

How about another very cheap and simple solution. What if you carry a 3 or 4 foot piece of pvc pipe that slips over the existing handle as an extension just to be used during docking? You may have to rotate the current mechanism so the draw and throw are upright. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

centaursailor 11-22-2011 11:38 PM

Mine is a single lever and I had the same worry when I first started sailing single handed.
Now I don,t even think about it, going in or alongside as slow as practicable seems the ticket. Having everthhing to hand helps.
Safe sailing.