Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcaudle View Post
Preparing for offshore sailing. After some experience and a lot of reading, I am curious about what experienced offshore sailors actually do. The more I read, the more problems seem to come up. Even using tethers there have been drownings after being dragged beside or behind boat, equipment failures, etc.

Question for the experienced?

1. Do you use jack lines and when?

2. How are they rigged to provide true safety?

NC Newbie heading for Bermuda in Spring
I don't really sail "offshore". My boat has (well, just sold her, now shopping) a 10 ft beam.

If in rough weather, low visibility or alone I run a single jackline from a cleat mid bow down the center line of my boat.

My tether has a three foot and six foot attachment.

I always use the three foot attachment unless I need to stand up and reach something. Then I clip on the six foot lead before un-clipping and visa versa.

The key is:
Use handholds and keep your center of gravity as low as possible.
Make the fall as short as possible to avoid injury.
To keep yourself inside the lifelines if you fall.
In other words, work as though you where not clipped on, even when you are.

I see jacklines run down the port and starboard outside the stays all the time. for the life of me, I can't imagine why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Tether attachment clips.

My bias

Gibb, Wichard or similar dual action attachments for jacklines, U bolts. I will not use simple gate clips.

Quick release snap shackles at the harness.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-24-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Tether attachment clips.

My bias

Gibb, Wichard or similar dual action attachments for jacklines, U bolts. I will not use simple gate clips.

Yes, locking biners are a must at the jackline or u-bolt end. The CE standard includes a test procedure where the biner is rotated through certain arcs on 2 different sized u-bolts. It is very sobering to see just how easily a plain wire gate biner will unclip from a u-bolt; plain biners generally fail on the first rotation.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
It is very sobering to see just how easily a plain wire gate biner will unclip from a u-bolt; plain biners generally fail on the first rotation.
I've had this happen to me more than once with my current tether, which has a wire gate on both ends. A new tether is definitely on the shopping list even though I don't sail offshore.
Old 11-24-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes, locking biners are a must at the jackline or u-bolt end. The CE standard includes a test procedure where the biner is rotated through certain arcs on 2 different sized u-bolts. It is very sobering to see just how easily a plain wire gate biner will unclip from a u-bolt; plain biners generally fail on the first rotation.
I had one come off a jackline in 2000 on a delivery from Honolulu. In the middle of the night I was going forward when it caught on something and came loose. Fortunately it attached it self to a genoa sheet. Never again.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-24-2011

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
Jack lines

As to position of jack lines, I am going to try the recommendation of adding an Alladin clamp on the shroud on each side which allows the jack line to be suspended up 5 ft or so. That means when u fall u stay on board. Cost is only about $20 a piece and regular line can be used.
Old 12-02-2011

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
A racing friend pointed out some time ago that if at all possible it is best to attach the aft end of each jackline to a point further forward of the stern than the aft cleat. The idea is to prevent dragging behind the boat - apparently some poor bloke lost his life during an offshore race to the Faralones a few years back because his inflatable PFD deployed yet he was being dragged by the teather and the crew wasn't able to get him back on board in time. I think the idea is to account for the length of the teather so if you're overboard you aren't 3' to 6' behind the transom. On my boat I just loop around one of the foreward stanchions of the stern pulpit before making fast at the stern cleat.
Old 12-02-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchallenger View Post
A racing friend pointed out some time ago that if at all possible it is best to attach the aft end of each jackline to a point further forward of the stern than the aft cleat. The idea is to prevent dragging behind the boat....
Also, on boats with transom mounted outboards, the thought of being suspended in the prop zone is just plain horible.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bavaria are the only mass production boat that I know that has as an option a full comprehensive safety system that includes discrete but very effective jack lines (mounted permanently) and several hook points on the cockpit with two on the back that permits a double tethered harness to maintain the wheelman stable in bad weather.

If you can find one with them mounted have a look it is worth it.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-02-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
1. Yes, on rare occasions when offshore and/or night sailing. Do not wear a lifejacket with a harness.

When we were teenagers, my siblings and friends would intentionally fall off the boat to be dragged behind the boat in a chest harness for fun. We discovered how to use the forces of being pulled behind the boat to manuever yourself to the transom - sort of like flying while skydiving. If you arch your back, keep your head up, and try to spread your arms away from your sides, you will remain on the top of the water and you can use the force to steer your body to the transom ladder.

I think this is a great idea for anyone: practice falling overboard while you are sailing with your harness on to understand the forces involved and how you can maneuver yourself back to a place where you can board the boat and not drown. (Make sure someone else is with you so you can be saved if necessary.) I can now understand how someone can drown while being dragged if one allows oneself to be pulled like a log with one's head down - you feel incredible force if you do not take actions to rise up out of the water.

2. Ordinary high stretch climbing rope run through the bow cleat outside the shrouds to the stern cleats with figure 8 knots, chest harness with standard 8-10 foot tether with nonlocking caribiner. I do not like the idea of clipping and unclipping everytime you must move forward. (I would rather drag behind the boat so I can more easily re-board, then on one side or another where I would have to climb back up the side.)

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-02-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.