Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the feedback. The article by pdq regarding breaking strengths is very interesting.

Please check out the Aladdin clamps and see what u think. These allow the jack line to by mounted 5 ft or so off the deck(attached to the shrouds) so that a fall will not result in going overboard. Curious if anyone has any experience.

rjc
Old 12-03-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of having an extra tether at the place where you will be doing the work. So, for example, I was thinking of attaching a very short tether near the bow where I would be sitting hanking or unhanking my jib. I would of course leave the longer tether attached to the jackline too.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
a tether has about 1.5m. It cannot be smaller.
This seems to be a big complaint about tethers. Why can't a tether be smaller than this?

I was taught to move around on deck by staying crouched. I almost never do, of course, but if I were wearing a short tether I would have no problem moving around on deck. Certainly not more difficult that walking upright with a long tether that snags on everything.

Also "one hand for the boat" requires both hands. If you have one hand on a tether and one hand on a shroud, you have to let go of something to grab something else.

But it does get me thinking. Maybe I need a short tether for rough weather, to keep me on the boat. My current tether (probably 1.5m) will only be used in situations where it's not the end of the world if I fall off, so the tether only needs to keep me near the boat.
Old 12-05-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also "one hand for the boat" requires both hands. If you have one hand on a tether and one hand on a shroud, you have to let go of something to grab something else.
I can walk forward without holding the tether. It just drags along. Sometimes it will snag something.

I don't think harnesses are the end-all for safety, but, they probably help a lot more than they hurt.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
I have a teather with two whips, each with its own locking caribiner. One is about 6' long, the other 3'. The idea is to clip in one before clipping out of the other, in case you need to clip around a sheet, guy, standing rigging, etc. I'll use the short one if I'm in an exposed spot without the need to move around much, sometime it's best to be on a short leash.
AdamLein likes this.
Old 12-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchallenger View Post
I have a teather with two whips, each with its own locking caribiner. One is about 6' long, the other 3'. The idea is to clip in one before clipping out of the other, in case you need to clip around a sheet, guy, standing rigging, etc. I'll use the short one if I'm in an exposed spot without the need to move around much, sometime it's best to be on a short leash.
Sounds like a good system.
Old 12-05-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
This seems to be a big complaint about tethers. Why can't a tether be smaller than this?

I was taught to move around on deck by staying crouched. I almost never do, of course, but if I were wearing a short tether I would have no problem moving around on deck. Certainly not more difficult that walking upright with a long tether that snags on everything.

But it does get me thinking. Maybe I need a short tether for rough weather, to keep me on the boat. My current tether (probably 1.5m) will only be used in situations where it's not the end of the world if I fall off, so the tether only needs to keep me near the boat.
Good point about losing a hand when screwing around trying to get the tether off a snag. After moving from one place to another you get used to where it snags but it is still a PITA. I guess the best solution is to have a series of hard attachment points and a double tether. Getting around the dodger is the worst place on my narrow boat. There is no room to crawl up and stay low and no good handhold right there.
Old 12-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Getting around the dodger is the worst place on my narrow boat. There is no room to crawl up and stay low and no good handhold right there.
Ditto. My dodger is, well, dodgy. Not secure by any means.
Old 12-05-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Ditto. My dodger is, well, dodgy. Not secure by any means.
Have been thinking about replacing the 1" standard tubing frame with something more substantial, maybe a fixed (but removable) frame with a grip and a padeye for the tether. Between that and one more padeye on the deck I could go from cockpit to mast without attaching to the jackline. I have no desire to ever get tossed over while attached to the jackline and would like to get rid of it altogether, clipping in to a series of padeyes. With a short double tether this would not allow going overboard.
Old 12-07-2011

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
If clipping directly to a padeye with jackline, the line needs to be short. The force of a person falling 6 feet with a wave can pull out the attachment point unless it is very strong.

Also the force of stopping suddenly on a 6 ft tether can be injurious itself. The jackline absorbs some of that energy with its stretch (as long as that stretch doesnt send you overboard)

At least this is what all my reading has concluded. (lots of failures)

rjc