Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Rather than having individual tethers, I place tethers strategically; in the cockpit, base of the mast, and on the jacklines. As you move around you attach a new tether to your harness before removing the old one.

The cockpit mounting points are U bolts.

Tethers strategically placed is fine and dandy with short handed crews. A race crew with 5-7 folks on a 30' boat, probably better to have individual tethers, jack lines and appropriate mounting bolts/eyes or equal when needed.

I would agree that U-bolts or equal would probably be better for the cockpit, then again, if you have the need for 3-4 folks to tether to the same bolt....might be better to have a short section of webbing.

There is probably NOT a one size fits all in this disCUSSion frankly. Probably best for all to say what and how, figure out what will work for you following what most of us would call sound practices.

Like earlier stated, one person had jackline inside the shrouds, another outside. If the shrouds are attached to the hull sides, inside might work best, if like mine, the shrouds are attached next to the cabin, outside might be better. ALtho I have gone inside along the cabin top, to give folk a bit more room to fall before going overboard if traveling along the lee side. On the other hand, if they are on the windward side, they are now a foot closer to the lee side and going over.......not that a 4.5-5" or 1.5M tether should keep a person onboard a 10.5' boats, with about 8 or so feet to the edge of the le deck in my case.

I do believe there are some rights and wrongs to this need, along with some "depends" issues also!

marty
smurphny likes this.
Old 12-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think the answers are all here and note I said answers plural. You go with what makes sense for you and the boat you are on. A couple of comments that I can add:
- People assume that they will be walking around the boat to change sails, fix stuff, whatever. If the conditions are at all nasty you are at best in a monkey walk position or even crawling to get from point A and point B. Much less likelihood of falling and if the deck gets swept by green water you are inside your lifelines (ask me how I know) so they become useful rather than just something to fall over.
- We have our polyester jacklines (made my Wichard) inside the shrouds. If you are forward of the shrouds and were to fall overboard you will only slide back to the shrouds.
-We have the tether setup with one 6' tether and one 3' (from Wichard also). Excellent piece of kit but pricey. We got a really good deal at the Annapolis boat show a number of years ago.
- If you have webbing (polyester or nylon) jacklines, UV is a real problem. My lifelines go on just before we leave on a passage and are taken off right after, washed in freshwater, dried and put away. Even with this care they have still faded and I think I will replace them in another year (that will be three years of use). If you are going day sailing it is pain to put them on and take them off every day but you will save yourself some money and may keep yourself onboard.
- Only thing worse than no lifelines/tethers are bad/wornout ones since they give a false sense of security. Our boat came with 8 sets of harnesses and tethers that were state-of-the-art in 1982 (rich owner did Bermuda-Newport races that sort of thing), but I would not use them today even though they are in good shape.
Old 12-28-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rather than having individual tethers, I place tethers strategically; in the cockpit, base of the mast, and on the jacklines. As you move around you attach a new tether to your harness before removing the old one.

The cockpit mounting points are U bolts.
I really like that idea Jack! My main gripe with the double tether is in having to lose attention to what I'm doing (getting from point A to point B, where I am holding on, balancing, etc.) while fiddling around with the two snap shackles that want to get hung up on everything if left to their own evil devices. Do you have your snap shackles on each lead or on the harness? It would seem that two, directly attached to the harness, would work. This sounds like a good way to get rid of my jacklines completely. One well placed pad eye with a piece of webbing, centered, just forward of the dodger would also serve as a purchase to hold onto while clearing the dodger where there is NO solid handhold and always a balancing act.
Old 12-28-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
One thing to keep in mind is the sunlight degredation of the jack lines. I rinse off salt water, dry, then store inside the boat when not in use. Depending your location the loss of strength of the jack line could be significant when exposed to a few months of tropical sun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2011

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jacklines and tethers are used anytime you leave the companionway.

As you move around you attach the new one BEFORE releasing the old one.

You want to abide by this especially with what recently happened to the lady on Triple Stars during the NARC Rally. My biggest fear about sailing is being left behind.
Old 12-28-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
When single handing, I always teather, but still a concern is you go over the side, then how would you alone get back on board? On a small boat (narrow beam), even with the jack line tight and in the middle, you could still find your self over the lifelines. I have been looking at a boarding ladder I could rig off the side of the boat towards the stern in the hopes of being able to get to it, pull it down, and climb aboard. Most ladders have rungs and I could imagine having my fingers and feet pinched and maybe skin removed as I am trying to climb aboard this wild bucking horse (the boat). Recently I found these "Sea Steps" which might work. I plan to buy two, rig on either side of the boat with bungee cord normally holding them up and with a release line maybe just draging in the water. It could also be used in a man over board situation when crew is aboard.
Boarding steps & ladders - great prices!
Old 12-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I really like that idea Jack! My main gripe with the double tether is in having to lose attention to what I'm doing (getting from point A to point B, where I am holding on, balancing, etc.) while fiddling around with the two snap shackles that want to get hung up on everything if left to their own evil devices. Do you have your snap shackles on each lead or on the harness? It would seem that two, directly attached to the harness, would work. This sounds like a good way to get rid of my jacklines completely. One well placed pad eye with a piece of webbing, centered, just forward of the dodger would also serve as a purchase to hold onto while clearing the dodger where there is NO solid handhold and always a balancing act.
My preferred tethers have double action clips for the jacklines etc., and a snap shackle at the harness.

I have had single action tethers come loose. Never had a double action tether inadvertently attach itself.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-28-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My preferred tethers have double action clips for the jacklines etc., and a snap shackle at the harness.

I have had single action tethers come loose. Never had a double action tether inadvertently attach itself.
You know, Jack, I'm thinking that if I sew in a 1" X 5/16" ring at the end of each deck length, I could put two VERY short tethers, like 4", right on my harness which would allow switching as I move fwd and aft and never allow enough slack to go beyond the edge of the deck at the harness point. I'm going to have to get a scale dwg out to see if this would work out. This issue of tethering is really my biggest concern followed by getting knocked in the head with the boom and then getting run down by a tanker while I'm trying to catch 40 winks... then there are all those floating containers.... then... I must be crazy to be doing this
Old 12-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
then there are all those floating containers.... then
I have to spend my next cruising season worrying about tsunami debris on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

I am a little confused by your design proposal. I am a visual kind of guy.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-28-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You know, Jack, I'm thinking that if I sew in a 1" X 5/16" ring at the end of each deck length, I could put two VERY short tethers, like 4", right on my harness which would allow switching as I move fwd and aft and never allow enough slack to go beyond the edge of the deck at the harness point. I'm going to have to get a scale dwg out to see if this would work out. This issue of tethering is really my biggest concern followed by getting knocked in the head with the boom and then getting run down by a tanker while I'm trying to catch 40 winks... then there are all those floating containers.... then... I must be crazy to be doing this
Geez, relax a little, it all gets better once your out here...Put my jacklines back on for our passsage down the So. China Sea last week. dnot use them once as I just flew the working jib on the furler, no need to get out of the cockpit...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.