Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By smackdaddy
  • 1 Post By SimonV
  • 1 Post By paulk
  • 1 Post By denverd0n

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Rescue boat issues

I was talking to fellow over lunch who told me about a cruse he took a couple months ago aboard a cruse ship.
His ship was leaving Bermuda half way to the states when his captain got a request to turn around and pickup some distressed sailors.
It was a pretty good blow, 40 knots 15 foot seas.
A french 40' sailboat was in trouble.
The ship launched their rescue life boat over the side with no problem.
It was a little tricky getting all the people off the sailboat onto the lifeboat but they managed that too.

The real hard part was getting the rescue life-boat back on the ship.
He said it took them two hours before they were able make it happen.
They would approach and the violent action made hooking up the life boat very difficult.

Just thought it was interesting that retrieving the life boat was so difficult in rough water even thought the conditions were not as bad as they can get.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I started a thread on this here:

Rescued at Sea - Are You Prepared?

It has several videos of these kinds of rescues, including the one you might be talking about from the CS Norwegian Gem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-10-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Rescue at sea can be deadly to all involved. That's why it has to be the absolute last resort.
Old 02-24-2012

baxon is on a distinguished road
I just don't get it... The ships have FAST RESCUE BOATS, but they aren't able to get the boat back on board quickly.

It proves lack of practice and bad equipment. Which cruse line was this? I would never use them...

I know that many offshore companies only use Henriksen hooks on their MOB boats, because they are reliable and quick to use.
Old 02-24-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
If you ever need to be rescued, I vote for a cruise ship...

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 02-24-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Cruise ships will bill you for the ride after rescue! Most others don't, cost bucks to ride first class!..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"The ships have FAST RESCUE BOATS, but they aren't able to get the boat back on board quickly. "

And if the rescue boat reaches you, recovers you, and gives you a safe place to be until conditions get better, isn't that still better than nothing?

There may be no safe and economically feasible way to recover a boat in bad weather, except to wait for the weather to improve. Even the USCG shore-based rescue boats follow that policy, they simply are not sent out when conditions get too dangerous. And that's from shore stations, by professionals, operating in their home waters.

Transfering or recovering vessels at sea? If you can figure out a good way to do it, patent it.
Old 03-12-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
Re: Rescue boat issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxon View Post
I just don't get it... The ships have FAST RESCUE BOATS, but they aren't able to get the boat back on board quickly.

It proves lack of practice and bad equipment. Which cruse line was this? I would never use them...

I know that many offshore companies only use Henriksen hooks on their MOB boats, because they are reliable and quick to use.
Henrikson hooks may be wonderful things, but in big seas, getting the lifting line into the hook may be more difficult than it was during a drill. Once it is attached, do you just start lifting right away, so the rescue boat swings in and bangs against the hull, bouncing everyone out of it or breaking their bones as they're shaken like loose marbles in a can? Or do you risk having the strain of the hoist pull up at an odd angle, ripping the fitting out of the boat, since it's loaded with perhaps 8 or 12 people (half a ton?) on top of the boat's weight, as it drops off the top of a 40' wave? Rescue helicopters manage by trying to fly up and down at least a bit to match the waves, so that people don't get catapulted out of the water and then smacked back down into it if they can help it. That sort of delicate maneuver is difficult with a 100,000 ton cruise ship.

When you're being rescued, it's not a good time to be picky about who's helping you.
Faster likes this.
Old 03-13-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
When you're being rescued, it's not a good time to be picky about who's helping you.
Yeah, really.

"MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY! Taking on water fast! Need immediate rescue... but only if you have a vegetarian buffet."
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 03-14-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

With my bank book, it might be the only way I'll ever get on a cruise ship!....Dale
Where God got it done!