Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Asymmetric spinnaker with dousing sock. Questions.

I have what I think is an asymmetric spinnaker with sock. I've done a little research and THINK I know how to use it. Is the following right?

Attach tack in front of the jib furler. The head is hoisted by the spinnaker halyard. The two sheets go in front of the forestay and back to the jib winches. The chute is gybed by pulling it across, in front of the forestay.

The sock when the spinnaker is deployed sits at the top.

Do you leave the sock hoisted, and the whole thing in the sock, when it's not in use, and then deploy it - or keep the whole thing below and hoist it when you're about to deploy it?
Old 12-16-2011

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
This video might help.

North Sails: Gennaker Handling Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You run your sheets, attach tack (usually w/tack line) hoist the sock/sail assembly, raise sock and fill/trim sail.

To douse, release sheet, pull sock down to collapse/contain sail, lower assembly, stow sheets and put sail away.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-16-2011

Thanks! Both very informative posts! If the wind is light on Sunday I'll try it. What's the worst that can happen? (making mental note to keep that sharp knife handy in my pocket)
Old 12-16-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Usually you attach everything, then hoist, and pull the sock up. When your done, you snuff it, then ease the halyard down to the deck and keep it below. In light air you can keep it lashed on deck. Leaving it aloft is a lot of weight and windage.

How you rig it will determine whether you do inside or outside gybes. All depends on when and where you plug in the halyard in relation to the lazy sheet. Inside gybes are hard to do in mod/heavy air on a boat that doesn't have a masthead kite and a sprit. I'd suggest outside gybes. This means that the clew will pass outside of everything, including the luff of the sail, flag out in front of the boat, and then be trimmed in on the other side. The danger is running over the new sheet and then trimming miles of line in on the new side.
Old 12-16-2011

Thanks. I see. Is it essential to take the tack line back to the cockpit? From the hardware I have, it looks like the PO just attached the tack directly to the bow.

But now I think about it, there was a block with a 6" line and a shackle. Think I threw it out Guess I know what it was for now.

Last edited by MarkSF; 12-16-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2011
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
You want to be able to adjust the tack height and also to let it go in case of "interesting" situations so ideally you want the tack line back to somewhere easy to get to. Having said that, the boat I raced on for a while didn't have it led aft, then again I think we were slower with asym up than with the jib

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I find for dousing that it works a bit better to release the tack (you need someway to release this quickly) rather than the sheet. Try both ways though and see which is better.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 12-17-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

My Newport 28 came with an asym kite in a sock. It was a lot of fun to use. There are a number of web sites from sail makers that have videos on how to use the kite. Do watch them as they definitely help.

It is better to have an adjustable tack line but not a requirement. You can just tack it to something at the bow, but make sure whatever you attach to is strong enough.

Make sure the sheets go outside of everything and you should have blocks shackled to the aft corners of the boat - the sheets should have as wide a run aft as possible.

Dousing is much easier if you head deep downwind and use the main to blanket the spinnaker.

My current boat doesn't have a chute and I do miss it.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2011

I figure I'll try it this weekend without all the accessories, and if I like it will get the various blocks for the tack and sheets.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.