Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
How do you know it has a station license? Expire date should be on the certificate, which we keep in the nav table. If the prior owner got it, you will need to transfer it to your FCC account, which you will get when you apply for your restricted operators license. Caution: the FCC website is one of the worst and most confusing. Be patient.

If you have Digital Selective Calling on any radios aboard (and you should), the existing station license could have your boats MMSI number on it and it could be programmed into another radio. Otherwise, I suppose it would be possible to apply for a new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2012

windward54 is on a distinguished road
The FCC doesn't transfer licenses. If the license was from the prior owner, that prior owner should have canceled the license when the boat was sold.

If you have an RRO, you may already have a Federal Registry Number (FRN). You can get this off you RRO, or you can look it up on the FCC website. You just need to get your password, and everything else is pretty straight forward. Just take your time, and make sure all the information is entered correctly.
Old 01-08-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I had a Ham license years ago. If I remember correctly technician was morse code only and general class allowed you to use voice.

Is morse code still a requirement for these licenses?

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by windward54 View Post
The FCC doesn't transfer licenses. If the license was from the prior owner, that prior owner should have canceled the license when the boat was sold.

If you have an RRO, you may already have a Federal Registry Number (FRN). You can get this off you RRO, or you can look it up on the FCC website. You just need to get your password, and everything else is pretty straight forward. Just take your time, and make sure all the information is entered correctly.
I can't recall specifically, but there is a bit more to the station license. You have to transfer an MMSI, which is on the station license if I recall correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-08-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
As Windward54 said, the FCC doesn't transfer ship station licenses. If you don't have a station license issued to your boat upon your own application, then you will need to apply for one.

The MMSI number is issued by the FCC and will come along with the ship station license. THAT is the number which should be entered into any DSC transmitting equipment you have on board: VHF (including handhelds with DSC capability) and MF/HF SSB radios.

For Jim McGee: NO. There is no longer a code requirement.

The amateur radio Technician license allows you to operate mostly on the ham VHF bands, and voice only on a portion of the amateur 10-meter band and above (UHF). This latter is not very useful on a boat. That's why you need at least a General Class license to allow you to use voice transmission on authorized portions of the ham bands.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012

Since the MMSI number can't be changed once programmed on a DSC radio, perhaps I'm recalling that you must transfer that number onto your new application rather than have one reissued?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 01-08-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Minewaska: i know because I looked it up.
I emailed the PO to try and get the boat license cancelled.
I will use the site recommended by Bill to get new licenses. Thanks
To all for your help specially Bill.
Old 01-08-2012

If you looked up its station license, then be sure to jot down the MMSI number if the FCC assigned one.

To confirm my sanity, I just signed onto my FCC account and began the process to apply for a new station license. After a half dozen questions, you are asked to either fill in the previously assigned MMSI number or request a new one. This must be the transfer concept I was recalling.

If the MMSI has already been entered into a DSC radio anywhere aboard, you will need to know that number when applying for a new station license. If you ask for a new one, you won't be able to match your radios, as the radios dont permit updates. (I do believe you can send them back to the manufacturer to be wiped clean, but who would want to bother.)

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 01-09-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
I just installed a new VHF on the boat with remote mike. I did not know that the boat had a previous MMSI assigned so I got a new one and had it installed on the VHF. If the previous MMSI is in the SSB no biggie though I doubt it is.
Old 01-09-2012

You're right, this isn't the kind of biggie that sinks boats. However, when you get your station license for your boat, I'm fairly sure all installed radios must use the same MMSI. I'm not a pro on your SSB, but have a feeling it may not have DSC, so that could be moot.

I was more concerned that the prior owner had already programmed another radio, as you identified they did get a station license for your boat, and you would want to carry that forward.

As you applied for your own MMSI and haven't done the station license yet, can I assume you got a free one from BoatUS? If so, perhaps someone knows if you can use those on an FCC application. BoatUS MMSI numbers are valid in the US only, while those issued by the FCC are registered internationally. Again, no biggie, you just want to get your station license right.

If you have a US only MMSI, and are happy with it, you may be able to have your FCC station license issued without one. ( as long as the prior one is not programmed anywhere aboard )

Who's on first?....... Have fun.

Jeanneau 54DS