SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Best routing information (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/82532-best-routing-information.html)

davidpm 01-09-2012 12:40 AM

Best routing information

What resources are available to assist as skipper in deciding on routes taking into account currents and normal weather patterns.
I'm not looking for a daily or weekly weather forecast. I'm looking for rules of thumb all put together in easily accessible form.

For example stay away from Bermuda from xx to xx months.
Most cruisers go from port xx to port xx in months xx,xx,xx as the trades and currents are typically favorable.

This stuff seems to e well known as every cruising log mentions this sort of thing.
Now with the internet there must be places where it can be easily found as opposed to just word-of-mouth.
I had thought that noonsite would be the place but it seems not.

davidpm 01-09-2012 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is possibly useful.

jackdale 01-09-2012 01:06 AM

Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Route's is sort of the bible for passage planning.

jackdale 01-09-2012 06:10 PM

Also the NGA Pilot Charts

Maritime Safety Information

These take some interpretation.

davidpm 01-09-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 814756)
Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Route's is sort of the bible for passage planning.

On order.

davidpm 01-09-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 814952)
Also the NGA Pilot Charts

Maritime Safety Information

These take some interpretation.

Well I've downloaded it not trying to figure out how to get it big enough to read.

jackdale 01-09-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 814960)
Well I've downloaded it not trying to figure out how to get it big enough to read.

The file is a pdf

two options:

1) Move you mouse to the bottom of your browser; you should get a tool bat pop-up. Use the + to zoom in and the scroll bars to move around. I use Chrome.

2) Save the file and use a pdf reader (Acrobat)

aeventyr60 01-10-2012 09:21 PM

Pilot charts much easier to use in old fashioned paper version, then you can flip back and forth and look at the wind/current changes. Nice item to have on your boat when making your passage plan. Also as others have mentioned passage planning requires several sources of information. Looks like you'll be on your way with those listed above.

davidpm 01-10-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 815323)
Pilot charts much easier to use in old fashioned paper version, then you can flip back and forth and look at the wind/current changes. Nice item to have on your boat when making your passage plan. Also as others have mentioned passage planning requires several sources of information. Looks like you'll be on your way with those listed above.

That sure makes sense as seeing them on the computer is tough at best.

Boasun 01-10-2012 11:18 PM

This years Pilot Charts and Pub 136 Ocean passages for the World...
Would be the main data I would use for long distance passage planning.
Also I would include local weather reports.
Do not want to get underway as a T'storm bearing down on us.