Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesaila View Post
Yes, I have a 3 foot lenght of yellow line that just about touches the water. It is rigged so that the ladder drops when pulled [pelican hook?] You do have to watch out when it drops down . We had a drowning in our area just last year because a fellow could not get aboard when the boat slipped anchor and a group was swimming.

If you don't at least have a ladder, you are done.

Joe,

Thanks. I'd love to see some pictures of that.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
This just in. On my Droid right now or I'd paste it here.

Morro Bay Coast Guard crew rescues sailor knocked overboard - Breaking News - SanLuisObispo.com

Guy's tether saved him.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 05-23-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
I saw a utube video recently of, apparently, a homemade, Rube Goldberg'ish self-rescue arrangement. I don't recall the details now, as my reaction was mild amusement rather than "what a great idea."

In the video, the guy jumped off the side of the moving boat, dragging a line that was secured outside the lifelines. As he swept abaft the transom, the line tripped a release on a mount holding a float board and the rescue line. The mount was aft facing and pretty high up.

When the rescue line finally went taut, the most amazing happened. While the video showed no details, one end of the doubled rescue line was apparently attached to some kind of drogue, and the other end to a wave board. The drogue dragged behind, of course, which had the effect of zipping the waveboard toward the receding sailboat at twice its speed. The neat thing was, when it caught up with the boat, the high mounting point hauled the "rider", board and all, up to the snatch block. This basically put him standing on deck just outside the lifeline.

I offer this in the spirit of the second-chance device discussion. Apologies if this already got mention in the 100 or so posts I haven't read yet.
Old 05-23-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWhy View Post
I offer this in the spirit of the second-chance device discussion. Apologies if this already got mention in the 100 or so posts I haven't read yet.
Mike, it didn't - and, whilst an interesting idea for larger boats, is probably not all that practical for smaller ones due to the amount of space required to mount something like this.

Whilst on this topic - on the subject of stanchion height and bulwarks: After racing in protected waters on yachts without any lifelines at all, I've often wondered if a decent sized toe-rail/bulwark (to stop you sliding) and NO lifelines isn't actually safer than having "regulation" lifelines that are too low or badly positioned to stop you actually going over??

Somehow, perhaps not having something there to save you makes one even more cautious when going forward, than the false security generated by something that probably won't save you anyway.. just a thought.

Last edited by Classic30; 05-23-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Whilst on this topic - on the subject of stanchion height and bulwarks: After racing in protected waters on yachts without any lifelines at all, I've often wondered if a decent sized toe-rail/bulwark (to stop you sliding) and NO lifelines isn't actually safer than having "regulation" lifelines that are too low or badly positioned to stop you actually going over??
Cameron,
I don't agree with no life lines, I do agree with having a decent bulwark though it does make sitting on the rail an even more uncomfortable proposition. As for lifelines while boat viewing one thing I did notice and with something akin to horror is that the lifeline height on some cruising boats with racing pretensions is so appallingly low that in order to get a suitable height one should really add a third line.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-23-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post

Somehow, perhaps not having something there to save you makes one even more cautious when going forward, than the false security generated by something that probably won't save you anyway.. just a thought.
Statistics show people who have insurance are more prone to loss. Seems the correlation is as you still have car insurance, so if I get in a wreck, I will get a new car or mine fixed.
The guy without insurance? First off he obeys all traffic signals and commands to avoid being pulled over and discovered. Second, he knows if he DOES wreck his car, hes f#%$Wed. False senses of security are something to always be wary towards.
Old 05-23-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
It did seem a bit overdone at first glance, but in context of this thread and getting back aboard, I'm suddenly interested.

Here's a link to something on youtube, not the video I first saw, but it looks like the same device.

YouTube - ‪Self Rescue System‬‏

Instead of deploying and trailing the line behind in anticipation, or maybe in addition to, I think I would clip the line on either side, outboard of everything and reachable if you should find yourself dangling by your tether.
Old 05-24-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Cameron,
I don't agree with no life lines, I do agree with having a decent bulwark though it does make sitting on the rail an even more uncomfortable proposition. As for lifelines while boat viewing one thing I did notice and with something akin to horror is that the lifeline height on some cruising boats with racing pretensions is so appallingly low that in order to get a suitable height one should really add a third line.
TD, I don't agree with no lifelines either.. it was just a thought... based upon recent experience in both racing and cruising without them, in protected* waters.

Just because I don't have them fitted right now, doesn't mean I wouldn't install them if, say, heading across the ditch.. but then they'll be proper 3 -line ones - not the dinky toys I see some people use, that, by restricting movement below the knees and nowhere else, are more likely to trip people up and send them into the drink than the ankle-high bulwark I've currently got (which stops sliders and stops them well, I might add).

Your horror is well-founded - but I guess it's like any piece of safety equipment on board: You (should) do it properly, because, done badly, it's more likely to kill you than having nothing at all. Unfortunately, there are boat-owners out there who don't think like that.

* = It's debateable whether or not Port Phillip really is "protected waters", given some of the horrendous conditions we can get out there!
Old 05-24-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I have a line attatched to my swim ladder that I can pull on.

Using a harness can be a pain, but if you don't you have increased the numbers of dying. I clipped onto the windward side on my mono to shorten the scope of the tether. I have been thrown from the boat, and over the lifelines. When Frolic fell off the wave the tether actually yanked me back onto the boat before hitting the water. I was attempting to furl the main in a storm when it filled with air, and pushed me over........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 05-24-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Tongue in cheek question:

Did Capt'n Hook do single handed sailing?

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture