Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Storm trysail question

After reading the heavy weather thread I thought I would do this in a separate thread because it is quite specific.

I have a storm trysail that I have never used in anger although I have put it up a couple of times. It has its own track that goes down to the deck - on occasions I have put the sail on the track and tied the bag down to the deck which works fine. I will likely do the same in the Indian Ocean and in particular from Mauritius to Durban which I understand can be particularly nasty.

Here is the question. The sail is set up to be attached to the boom rather than deck. There is a large solid eye on the boom for this and the sail has a long, substantial line attached to the clew. I have a rigid boom so I can't drop the boom to the deck in any case so I think it makes sense to use the boom and keep it under control. Question is, what is the best way to get the clew attached and tight? Because of the length of the line on the clew, it looks like it is designed to go through the eye on the boom and then come back to the mast - likely put it around the mast and then tie to a cleat there. Should I put it onto a winch to get it really tight? I am thinking that I would need to have the rest of the sail tied up in some way so that the wind cannot get it - even the bit that would be out would be under a lot of stress at >>40 knots. I think in most conditions that 40 knots is not an issue at all, I am thinking of this sail in the 45 to 60 knot range. Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
How about a trucker's hitch?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hey B,
How are you guys going?

I cant remember, do you have an in mast furler?

Regardless of which, does the end of the boom have a sheave (spare or otherwise) for an outhaul / slab reefing etc. That is where I would think of as it is sturdy and controllable. can you add a sheave and run the sheet line back to a winch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Hi Dave
I have inmast so I do not have a sail in the way. There are no spare sheaves to be had since the outhaul sheave is always in use, even when the sail is furled and there are no reefing sheaves, but I could put a (very) substantial block on the eye that is on the mast to lead the line to one of the winches on the mast. I imagine that I would not have a spinnaker up in those conditions so those winches are available.
Old 01-28-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
After reading the heavy weather thread I thought I would do this in a separate thread because it is quite specific.

I have a storm trysail that I have never used in anger although I have put it up a couple of times. It has its own track that goes down to the deck - on occasions I have put the sail on the track and tied the bag down to the deck which works fine. I will likely do the same in the Indian Ocean and in particular from Mauritius to Durban which I understand can be particularly nasty.

Here is the question. The sail is set up to be attached to the boom rather than deck. There is a large solid eye on the boom for this and the sail has a long, substantial line attached to the clew. I have a rigid boom so I can't drop the boom to the deck in any case so I think it makes sense to use the boom and keep it under control. Question is, what is the best way to get the clew attached and tight? Because of the length of the line on the clew, it looks like it is designed to go through the eye on the boom and then come back to the mast - likely put it around the mast and then tie to a cleat there. Should I put it onto a winch to get it really tight? I am thinking that I would need to have the rest of the sail tied up in some way so that the wind cannot get it - even the bit that would be out would be under a lot of stress at >>40 knots. I think in most conditions that 40 knots is not an issue at all, I am thinking of this sail in the 45 to 60 knot range. Any thoughts?
I don't think you want to attach the clue to the boom. One reason is to protect the boom from the increased loads. Another is that when you are sailing down wind and the boat rolls, the boom can dip in the water and maybe break. Another is so you don't have to do all that tinkering about at the mast. Hauling in the clew on a trysail in 40+ knots is not going to be easy. Also are the cleats, cam locks strong enough for the loads?

Take a look at the "Pardey's Storm Tactics Handbook", checklist #6, Items 2-6.

I found that leading the sheets aft to a block and tackle on the toe rail, and another though the aft hawse holes and then using the primaries for adjusting to be easy. You can also ease the sheet to prevent chafe as well from the cockpit.

My trysail is rigged and ready to go at the mast on certain passages as well. Only have to run the heavy permanently attached sheets back to the primaries and then attach the halyard, raise the sail and were off to the races.

Think you'll get plenty of chance to use the trysail on the trip to Africa. Maybe even more so on the trip form Durban to the Cape, Nasty down there as well, but good Wx forecast so everybody scampering down together.

Good luck!

Still think you should stop in Malaysia/Thailand/Singapore for a year.....
blowinstink likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-29-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
Would tend to agree that going to the boom may create issues that it might be better to avoid. (Stress on gooseneck from banging sail, boom perhaps safer lashed in place in nasty conditions...easier (and safer) to gybe (especially accidentally) without it.) As an aside, we had friends who crossed the Indian Ocean to S.Africa. They had to wait 3 days outside a closed harbor in a storm, circling on their 50' wooden schooner with tankers on every side doing the same thing. Nerve wracking in seas that were big enough to lift a 1000' tanker from mid-channel (if it had entered the channel) and deposit it 200 feet over, on the breakwaters.
Old 02-08-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

A resurrection of the thread. Anyone have any idea what the loads would be on a storm trysail on my boat (36,000 lb)? I need to get a block for it and Garhauer have a 5000 lb, a 6000 lb and an 8500 lb (all SWL). I am thinking the 5000 should do it since the sheets with the trysail can't have a SWL of more than 3000 lb. Some of these blocks are incredibly large. The biggest one for a single block is 2 1/2 lb.

BTW, I don't think I can tie my boom out of the way on deck since it has a rigid vang. The boom is also very large and heavy. I can't imagine disconnecting the vang and lowering the boom in 40+ knots. The boat is clearly set up to have the trysail go to the boom and we have had a much reduced main up (probably similar or a bit smaller than the trysail in 55 knots and the strain did not seem too bad. The rig on the boat is very robust.
Old 02-08-2012

No need to "tie my boom out of the way on deck", use the boom vang to secure the boom amidships. It may have been set up that way, but then was it ever used "offshore" and off of the Cape of Good Hope?

I keep imagining having to work up on deck and trying to get that sail up and hauling out the clew to the back of the boom, deck heaving, rolling, strapped in, cold, tired, hungry, all kinds of other stuff going on....probably yelling to the wife..."head up into the wind", waves crashing all around, lines all about the deck, mainsail falling around your head, trying to secure the blowing main, winching in the clew, holding on with one hand, cold, wet.....The rig probably is very robust, but why put it at risk when you don't have too?

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-08-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I suspect that the boat may have the trysail because the first owner did at least one Newport-Bermuda race and also sailed to the Med (back in the days when cruiser-racer meant you could actually do both). I could tie off the boom - would have to see how best to run the sheets to the aft quarters. Can't do that until we are back in Oz in another 5 weeks or so.

Do you run your sheets to turning blocks and then to the primary winches? I don't have convenient eyes for doing that I think.
Old 02-08-2012

I use some heavy "bow" shackles through the aft deck cleats, and then have heavy snatch blocks attached to the shackles, sheets then run to primaries. Can do it another way with those snatch blocks on the aft end of the cap rail mounted track. Prefer the former as it is stronger.