Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
And if you fall toward the bow... you can bounce off the tramp, and do a graceful twisting flip into the sea
Actually, once in heavy going I was working near the mast, turned to walk to the head stay... and the bow fell into a HUGE trough. As an alternative to falling down the front of the cabin on my knees, I intentionally did a front flip and landed on my back in the center of the tramp, as you describe, without any harm, and rebounded to a position facing the forestay on my knees, as though I had rehersed it one hundred times. I was clipped in and had the tether in one hand; it twisted in that hand without causing a tangle. Scared my wife, but my daugter and I though it was nearly funny. A real circus trick.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
They SANK the boat?

I'd have them send me up a sandwich or two so I'd have some time to think of a better way. Maybe I would just stay there; the view must be fine (and I've got a couple of sandwiches).

I'll bet it would be quite pleasant...

...until the wind picked up.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
They SANK the boat?

I'd have them send me up a sandwich or two so I'd have some time to think of a better way. Maybe I would just stay there; the view must be fine (and I've got a couple of sandwiches).

I'll bet it would be quite pleasant...

...until the wind picked up.
a. It was raining in Canada. I bet it wasn't pleasant. And I know is legs were asleep.

b. They "sank" the boat in a lock. That is, they lowered the water.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 02-17-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Climb down the mast steps
Old 02-17-2012

bob77903 is on a distinguished road
Jump, the fall won't hurt. The sudden stop might be a different matter
Old 02-17-2012

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Get someone else to go up and then supervise his rescue from the deck

I fell off the roof shoveling snow off of it and was saved by a line secured from above but the climbing jam cleat kind of thing couldn't be loosened with my weight on it. My wife was going to cut the line from the porch but I convinced her to get me a pair of pliers to unlock the jam cleat (don't know the proper term for it) a little at a time. Sounds like Sailor's fix might work even if you hurt for a few days, better than falling through the deck or being plucked off by a crane

Dabnis
Reminds me of the guy who up on his roof doing some work. It was a steep rood so he tied some rope around his waist and tied the other end to the bumper of his car. His wife didn't know what he was doing and at some she decided to drive to the store...you can figger out the rest of the story.
MarkSF likes this.
Old 02-17-2012

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
In all seriousness though, PDQ brings up something to think about, before one goes aloft again. For example, you may have 3 or 4 "spare" halyards on the mast, any of which could be used to descend on, with a spare biner, descending device and/or the proper knowhow to make a munter hitch, and transfer your weight to the spare line. (with another spare line attached as a backup vis a prusik knot). But, and this is a "big but", if they are all fastened hard at the mast base and tensioned (per normal), then you will not be able to use them to desend on, as you will not be able to get any slack in them to make a munter hitch, or pass through a rapell device.
So, make it a habit to loosen a couple of halyards, with at least a foot of slack (and make sure the other end is tied off safely.
Practice going up the mast 3 or 4 ft off the ground and pretend to be stuck. Now, do you have the spare equipment and knowhow to transfer safely and descend (and at no time trusting your weight to only one line ( ie no backup).
Old 02-17-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
I think I would have showed the fire brigade a thing or two about sliding down a pole before I would let them sink my boat. I'm sure the rash would heal eventually...
sawingknots likes this.
Old 02-17-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
even though i'm not as young and strong as i once was i believe i could do a controled slide down a bare pole,i believe in my heyday i could have skinnyed up too,a few rub burns maybe but pride intact
Old 02-17-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
Reminds me of the guy who up on his roof doing some work. It was a steep rood so he tied some rope around his waist and tied the other end to the bumper of his car. His wife didn't know what he was doing and at some she decided to drive to the store...you can figger out the rest of the story.
Oh my, that will give me nightmares. In my case my wife didn't know I was hanging there she just happened to come out to see how it was going. Her first instinct was the knife. I was about 20 feet from the ground, that would have made a mark.

Dabnis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.