Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By casey1999
  • 2 Post By MedSailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Amazing Pair of Sailors

You may be interested in this site. An amazing pair of sailors. Read their logs, especially the one on Antarctica.
http://taonui.com/
tdw likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Well found Casey .... good looking site and that cruise is one I'd love to do. Thanks.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-15-2012

JSailer is on a distinguished road
Wow.
Well, that's very humbling to read.
I guess my Gulfstream crossings seem like a pretty small thing after reading what they've done...

Do you know if they've written any books?
Old 02-16-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSailer View Post
Wow.
Well, that's very humbling to read.
I guess my Gulfstream crossings seem like a pretty small thing after reading what they've done...

Do you know if they've written any books?
My search has found none. They might be too busy to write a book. Their web site has a wealth of information. This is all I found:
Storm Tactics For Sailboats At Sea From Tony And Coryn Gooch
Old 02-16-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
You may be interested in this site. An amazing pair of sailors. Read their logs, especially the one on Antarctica.
http://taonui.com/
True.

True.

I would have just left it at "An amazing pair...." Bigger than mine, that's for sure!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Three paragraphs and three lifetimes worth of sailing for most. I especially like the "instead of battling unfavorable winds we just went offshore for 3,100 miles!!!"

As for the second excerpt: I read it to my wife who exclaimed, "That's an entire book not a paragraph!"

MedSailor

Excerpt from their blog:

---------------------------------------------------------
1996 ANTARCTICA
Our plan was to get to Antarctica by the end of the year. A bit ambitious, but worth the try. We made a late season crossing to Trinidad arriving on June 12 th, two weeks before the first hurricane of the season. After repairing the roller furling, which broke half way across the Atlantic, we took our time cruising the offshore islands of Venezuela. We were through the Panama by August 12 th and down to Salinas, Ecuador by August 19 th. Rather than battle the contrary wind and current down the coast of South America, we opted for a 3,100 mile offshore passage looping around the High and taking the westerlies into Valdivia, Chile. Two days before we reached Valdivia, we witnessed a full eclipse of the moon. What a treat.

The trip down the Chilean Canals was a pleasure. We spent 7 weeks covering the 1,300 miles south to Ushuaia, anchoring in many of the same bays and notches we had visited in Maistral. The weather was kind and the scenery spectacular, particularly in the Beagle Canal. After loading up with food and excellent Chilean wine, and with a whole lamb hanging in the rigging, we set off for Antarctica.

On January 18 th we passed Cape Horn and headed south across the Drake Passage. We made landfall on a gray and misty evening at the Melchior Islands off the Antarctic Peninsula at around 64 S. It seemed like another world of rock, ice and mist. Two days later the weather cleared and we moved down the Peninsula. The grandeur and scale of mountains and glaciers was breathtaking, especially in the Straits of Lemaire.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just another paragraph from the blog........

The weather was fair on the way back across the Drake Passage, but a front caught us on the last day giving us a real struggle to get to an anchorage behind the islands to the north of Cape Horn. After some R&R at Puerto Williams and Ushuaia, we set out for Buenos Aires, where we planned to leave Taonui for the winter. On March 27 th we were holed up deep inside Caleta Hoppner on Staten Island while a very deep low passed over. It was 950 at the center and 2,500 miles across. The wind howled for four days. After the barometer climbed back to 1003 we left in calm conditions. Another low caught us and this time we were unlucky. While lying ahull to let the storm pass we were caught by a fluke wave and slammed upside down. The mast was broken and Tony was thrown overboard. Coryn scrambled on deck, threw Tony a life ring and hauled him back to the boat. We cut away the mast and motored 200 miles to the Argentinean coast, and eventually shipped Taonui back to Lymington, UK for repair. Not a good end to an exciting trip.
casey1999 and rugosa like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-17-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Incredible journeys!

I liked the part about sailing around Iceland to test the equipment!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-22-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After loading up with food and excellent Chilean wine, and with a whole lamb hanging in the rigging, we set off for Antarctica.
Gee, you know the weather is bad when you catch livestock in the rigging
Old 02-22-2012

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Gee, you know the weather is bad when you catch livestock in the rigging
It's been a rough couple of days at work, for the first time in several days I have a smile on my face. Barquito, that really does crack me up.

Thanks to the OP for the original link, excellent reading for a Canadian sailor suffering thru February.

John

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein