Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

datswite is on a distinguished road
Sailor Training

Hey, folks. I'm looking for some opinions from those with more sailing experience than me. I started sailing 2 years ago by enrolling in an ASA 101 Basic Keelboat course in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I "bought into" a Hunter 27 at the same time, and I needed to learn how to sail the darn thing. I latched on to sailing immediately, and I my interest has only deepened. I sail every chance I get and spend my days reading and daydreaming about my next adventure.

As I mentioned previously, my current education consists of an ASA 101 class. My experience is well beyond what they taught in that introductory course. I've been around Smith Point in conditions that were way beyond my skill level, and I've learned a lot over the past 2 years. I've spent up to 1-week aboard gunkholing around the lower Bay with several multi-day trips added in for good measure. While they Bay can get nasty, I'm sure it pales in comparison to what I'll experience offshore.

My long-term goal (i.e. next 5-7 years) is to trade-in my current lifestyle for that of a full-time cruiser. I'd like to spend a few years farting around the Caribbean and then take off on a circumnavigation. Aside from the logistical considerations about how to do that (i.e. money, different boat, etc.), how do I best prepare myself for the skills required to tackle the adventure?

I intend to sail my current boat as often as possible. But I need more training. In your opinion, what route should I take to gain that experience. I plan to enroll in the next several ASA courses, 103, 104, 105, etc. Is that a reasonable plan? Will those courses really prepare me for crossing an ocean? I have the textbook from the next level ASA course. After reading the text and looking at the curriculum, I have reservations about whether I'll learn anything in that class. However, I need to spend the money, take the class and get the t-shirt as a prerequisite for the next level courses.

I have no dinghy experience, but I've heard it's a great way to learn. Should I make dinghy experience a priority?

Any input will be appreciated.
1981 Morgan 382, Hull #257 - Cobb Island, MD
Our Cruising Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Sailing a dinghy will make you more aware of the interactions of boat, waves, and wind than a keelboat and you could some dinghy sailing for that purpose but it is unlikely to be a big deal in preparing you for extended cruising. What you could do is really pay attention to how your boat feels and experiment with adjusting your sails (eg traveller or outhaul) one thing at a time in consistent conditions to see what effect it has on boat speed, heeling, general feel of the boat - approach this very systematically and keep notes.

Don't know the curriculum of the courses in the US, others may comment on this. One other way to improve is to crew for people who are knowledgeable - for example, crew on a trip to or from Bermuda to get some offshore experience. Different skippers, different boats, lots to learn and you will get different takes on how to approach the whole experience - again keep notes.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 02-17-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I do 2 kinds of sailing:

1. Relaxing chill out sailing - I just get out, set sail and sit back to enjoy. Tack when I need to but try to trim up and sit back as much as possible.

2. Training - I go out and try stuff. Different trims, main only, jib only, heave to, MOB drills, stopping, starting, slow speed, pinching; you name it I go out and try what I've read about until I can do it in a repeatable and fluid manner. I even sabotage myself by releasing lines, sheets, whatever I can think of to see how I react and recover. I'm sure people are watching me and wondering what the hell is this guy doing.

Depends on my mood and what I want to accomplish that day....also how many people are also out on the lake. I tend to keep training days to the times I'm one of the only ones out there.

From what you post, sounds like you're well on your way to your goals. The extra classes you're looking at will serve you well, and then just go out in your boat and do the things you're learning about. For something new, see if you can go out with an experienced sailor on his/her boat as crew in exchange for being taught. (bring a gift, like a bottle of booze) I'm waiting for a buddy to get his boat ready because it's rigged for a chute and I've never personally flown a spinnaker....

You'll be just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 02-17-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
It sounds like you need to gain some experience in long distance ocean sailing. Taking courses is always good, but there are alternatives. I suggest you look for an opportunity to sail around Delmarva, either on your boat with the assistance of an experienced friend, or as crew for someone else. Every year there are people who sail around Delmarva in groups, and it's a great way to get a little offshore experience and to see if it's to your liking. You'll learn about on-board living, sailing, weather, and navigation in unfamiliar waters, and you'll gain self-confidence.
Old 02-17-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Instruction, with a good instructor, is valuable. You can learn from their expereince (read mistakes, incidents, etc..)

As someone who certifies instructors I tell prospective ones that being able to say "and when that happened to me ..." provides credibility.

Get experience between courses. Practice what you have learned.

Many experienced sailors are crappy teachers; they do not know how to reflect on their practice. For them it is natural and easy. Good instructors have both the experience and the ability to transfer their knowledge and skills to others.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-17-2012
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Combine instructor lead training with crew experience ...

I think you are starting to see a common thread of advice. Your way forward should include a combination of training with an instructor and on-the-water experience.

Your goal should be learning vs. achieving a “certification” from one organization or another. That certification only indicates to others that you passed a written test and demonstrated that you could perform tasks you were taught out of a book at some time in the past.

Most people take ASA 101/103/104 as a bundle to avoid the exact situation you find yourself in now. You took an introductory class and bought a boat. Yes, the materials covered in ASA 103 will be redundant at this point and likely some of ASA 104 by this point too. You can take a bypass test for ASA 103 and/or 104 to reduce costs. What I’m trying to say is formal training with an instructor is important but it doesn’t have to be in a certification awarding program.

Learning on your own is not a good idea for the plan/schedule you have laid out for us. You need to sail/learn with others. You need to see how things are done and ask why. We tend to learn from our own mistakes but we often learn more from those made by others when we can observe.

You are in a sailing rich area of the country. Locate a yacht club near you that has a juniors program and get involved. Additional resources can be found a local college/university that has a sailing club or a municipal sailing center.

Most yacht clubs have regularly scheduled “social” racing during the week. Skippers are often short on crew and would be willing to take on a beginner that knows the difference between a line and a rope. This would give you an opportunity to learn while gaining experience. Nothing helps translate sail trim theory, you read about in a book, into practical experience like racing “around the cans” or distance “day races”.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.