Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I must admit that I have no first hand experience with these devices, but those that I have seen have the transom of the dinghy fixed one a couple of hinge-like devices to the back of the "mothership" and the bow free to move up and down. It seems that you would be placing a lever matching the length of your dinghy available for great forces of waves to pry the mechanism apart. I would think of these as only inland or protected water devices; however, as I said, I've never used or closely inspected these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I think that varies from boat to boat. I carry my Caribe L9 upside down between the mast and inner forestay. The storm staysail is hanked on and bagged atop the dinghy. The dinghy provides a great step and seat for working at the mast. There is still plenty of room to move past it on both sides. When I do have to work on the bow the dinghy proves to be great to wedge against.
I was talking about 36ft and smaller. What size has your boat?

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-27-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I was talking about 36ft and smaller. What size has your boat?
Only a little bigger - 40' x 12.5' x 5.7'
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
A real pooping isn't just a bit of foam from astern It can hit like the many tons of fast water it is. If the dink was on davits ,it's gone.Now it's too late to lash upside down on the deck.But if you are a fairwheather, a few miles from harbour, with an eye on the weatherfax, towing the zod is easy. I often find them drifting in the Salish Sea.
Old 02-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The strain that's on the painter when we have towed the dink in fairly tame seas is amazing. I have towed them behind a bareboat and only taken comfort that I didn't own it!

I can't imagine being in a blow, surfing down a wave and pulling a dink whose line probably goes through the following wave to the dink behind it. I think you would need anchor chain to keep it attached. If you did, it would also become a drouge that is careening all over and changing it's force on you at the worst moment.
tdw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-27-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I have an arch which doubles as davits. I have 3 large solar panels on top of the arch.

While I can lift my dink so the base is just about level with the deck I only do so on sheltered passages. Any passages where it could be rough I strap the dink upside down on the foredeck.

Why well like another poster I have seen two boats arrive with missing dink plus davits, one of which had large holes in the deck.

On the other hand I have seen quite a few boats arriving after a transatlantic passage with the dink on the davits, sometimes with the OB still in place.

Cats don't count.

I am
Old 02-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Have to agree with Minne. I hate towing an infltable dinghy in any weather other than when moving a very short distance. Even in harbour I'll tend to pull the inflatable on deck. Hard dinghy not so bad to tow but don't like doing it under sail.

Mate of ours keeps his dink in davits even for coastal passages but I'm not a fan of the arrangement.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Tags
davits , safety at sea

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.