Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Info. for Guests Aboard

The reason I included the radios and motor is in case I am incapacitated in some way or fall overboard. Have had a couple of disasters with the head resulting from people failing to read the nice, LARGE, laminated fluorescent instruction sheet posted directly beside the crapper. A physical "dry" demo, however embarrassing this topic is to discuss, is necessary.
Old 03-27-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

The cooler is there. Be sure to leave at least one in there for the Skipper.

Nah, not really. I point out the fire extinguishers, the floating things to throw near someone if they fall off and basically tell them that if I ask them to do something that they do it, and in return I promise to not kill them. PFD wearing is up to them, but if they leave the cockpit they have to wear one. Basically sit back and enjoy the ride. Oh, and unless I look scared, there's nothing to be scared of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

If you haven't eaten it don't put it in the bowl,dammit and I'm watching RRRRh.(so much easier now that I've got power flush) Just press #1 or #2. Also sit to pee, dammit and I'm watching. Training the world, one passenger at a time.
smurphny likes this.
Old 04-27-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

I tell people to bring a hat, sunglasses, chapstick, maybe a light jacket or sweater, and an appetizer - we have everything else on the boat. I also encourage them to wear deck shoes and not flip flops because you will stub your toe.

Our marina is about 25 miles from our house and we generally tell people to ride out with us. That gives us some time to brief them on everything – our sailing 101 lesson is: watch out for the boom, you can’t sail directly into the wind, and the sails have to be on the opposite side of the boat than the wind. I also assure them the boat won’t tip (though I still have a dose of healthy skepticism despite what everyone says) because of the keel and ton of lead down in it.

Once on the boat, I stress the importance of the head and how unfun a clogged one is. If it didn’t come out of your body, it should go in the head – TP aside. Show them the fire extinguisher and life jackets. Give them a drink while we’re leaving the dock – easier to have the sitting when casting off lines and avoiding pilings. On the way out of the harbor, I tell them the MOB basics.

If they’re interested in learning to sail, I’ll explain to them what I’m doing and why. If not, I let them enjoy the ride.

Also throw in there that the boat is old, things break, and when they do, I get grumpy and they should ignore me. Ha.
Old 04-27-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I email a sailing instruction for each outing with timelines, packing lists, meal plans, crew mainfest, navigation notes, and other pertinent info. When new folks come on board, I give an orientation/safety brief that covers using the head, location of safety gear, PFDs, bilge pumps, Mayday calls (I keep a laminated MAYDAY call format to refer to), and what to do if I go overboard. About half the folks read the sailing instruction. We also have a detailed SOP onboard that covers standing orders, how to use everything on board, and so on.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-27-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
I email a sailing instruction for each outing with timelines....
Good call on the timeline - I usually encourage them not to have any hard and fast plans that afternoon / evening, just in case.
Old 04-27-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Yeah - I give them a window of time to board the boat and specify when we are casting off. As for getting back, it usually reads "anticipated return to dock" or "no later than time".

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Except for the "This is not your home toilet," instructions, the hardest thing for people to internalize ahead of time seems to be the flexible nature of schedules; that on a sailboat the schedule is absolutely determined by wind and weather and "No we will not be sailing in that tropical storm so you can get to your appointment". People are so stinking scheduled these days with minutes all planned out on their handy pocket computers, they have a really hard time dealing with any uncertainty. You get almost a blank stare when they are confronted with the reality of not being able to plan down to a fifteen minute window. Does this say something about our culture? (by the way, that's a rhetorical question.)
Old 04-27-2012

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Info. for Guests Aboard

1: The beer is in the icebox
2: the rum is in the cabinet
3: you can change into your bikini below.
Old 05-20-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

I have a short email I send to guests, where the boat is, bring food, being warm cloths, how to get onto the dock, my cell phone number etc.

When we are getting ready to leave the dock I have a short safety thing, where the equipment is, radios, my cell phone, safety equipment. I also ask them to find a life jacket they will tolerate that fits (I am a please have the life jacket on by the time we leave the dock boat) - I go over starting and stopping the engine and the throttle and shifter lever. How we plan to leave the dock and how we plan to return to the dock, complete with which cleat the dock line goes onto (I have a fixed length stopping strap so there is less confusion where the boat goes)

The whole demo and talk runs about 6 to 8 minutes and is done while the engine is warming up.

If someone really really has questions ahead of time I will answer them and sometimes send them a link to a boating etiquette article if they are real worried about doing something wrong.