SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Video on effects of cold water / lifejackets (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/86034-video-effects-cold-water-lifejackets.html)

MarkSF 04-11-2012 12:09 AM

Video on effects of cold water / lifejackets

I found this interesting video on cold water incapacitation and why life jackets extend life expectancy. I did not know that in near freezing water, there is such a difference in your survival without a lifejacket (10 mins) and with (1 hour).

The implications are that, in cold water, any MOB is likely to result in retrieval of an incapacitated person. Safety gear needs to take that into account - you need a way of lifting a person aboard.

jackdale 04-11-2012 12:38 AM

Re: Video on effects of cold water / lifejackets

The Cold Water Boot Camp website is worth checking out.

Barquito 04-11-2012 11:40 AM

Jackdale - good info on Boot Camp website. So, it looks like obese people can survive much longer in cold water. Awsome, I think I will have another donut! Seriously, I wonder if closed cell foam lifejackets preserve body heat better that inflatables.

MarkSF 04-11-2012 12:04 PM

Yes I think they do, I have a kayaking one that is particularly warm. But inflatables are so comfortable that I'm happy to wear mine all the time, even on hot days, while I wouldn't be happy to wear a closed cell. That's the big advantage of inflatables, they get worn.

jackdale 04-11-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 857137)
Yes I think they do, I have a kayaking one that is particularly warm. But inflatables are so comfortable that I'm happy to wear mine all the time, even on hot days, while I wouldn't be happy to wear a closed cell. That's the big advantage of inflatables, they get worn.

I do agree that people do tend to wear inflatables, rather than the foamies. In Canada, if you are not wearing it, it does not count as a pfd.

justflie 04-11-2012 02:22 PM

This would have never crossed my mind. Thanks for the post.

ottos 04-12-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 857216)
In Canada, if you are not wearing it, it does not count as a pfd.

In the US also ! (An inflatable PFD, that is)

jackdale 04-12-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottos (Post 857784)
In the US also ! (An inflatable PFD, that is)

Thanks for that information

Barquito 04-13-2012 04:45 PM

I was thinking, on my boat SOP would be foamies when water temp is below, say, 45 F, and inflatable above 45 F.

rgscpat 05-31-2012 08:40 PM

For me, float coat when air and water temps are both chill.