Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006

keith_williams is on a distinguished road
I would like some follow-up on this thread. One expert tells us that junk rig is difficult to reef because the yard thrashes about during the process and the brails are difficult to gather in...Annie Hill and Hasler/Mcleod claim that reefing is easy, calm and can be done from the cockpit.

Is there a difference here due to the exact design of the sail? Hasler/Mcleod have a nice set of diagrams which purport to show the geometry of a junk sail as it it reefed, leading them to some specific conclusions about the overall geometry of the sail.

Can those of us who have reefed a junk in strong wind - ie lets say 35 knots plus, tell the rest of us of their experience - and tell us the name of the boat or some details of its rig to help us understand what shape of sail it was.

For those without access to Hasler and McLeod's "Practical Junk Rig", Annie Hill used their recommended shape, a parallelogram consisting of a boom and four (foremast) and five (mainmast) battens; this being topped by one angled batten at approx 45 degrees and the yard at 70 or 80 to the horizontal.

best wishes to all (for a calm, informative and open-hearted discussion)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Wow ! People do get quite passionate about their rigs , don't they ? :-)

In much the same way that I love the look of a timber gaffer but would not want to own one I also admire the junk rig when I see one. Having said that, even cruisers have to sail to windward every now and then and often this is to claw your way off from danger. For that reason if for no other I'm sticking with ye olde bermudan masthead.

Blondie Hasler did indeed spend many years racing and cruising with a junk rig but from what I've read that was as much to do with a desire to not have to go out into the weather as anything else. He is quoted as saying that in the first single handed trans atlantic he crossed the ocean without ever having to take of his slippers and dressing gown. Also, in terms of ease of handling, Jester was a modified Folk Boat of 26 feet.

Going into big boats there is a thing out there called the Maltese Falcon that is marginally bigger than a folk boat and has a modified junk rig on three masts. The last article I read about her noted than in order to tack they have to start the engines but she will do in excess of 25 knots on a reach.
mraymus likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-24-2007

aurorahs is on a distinguished road
I have a "modified" junk rig -- technically a Gallant rig aerofoil design -- but basically a junk. Pix at SV Aphrodite -- the Beginnings

I have reefed in 30-40 kts and find that heading into the wind is just as helpful as on a Bermuda rig. The rig "almost" reefs itself since the sails are quite heavy, but the airfoil design allows wind into the sails and that means I have to go forward to pull the battens down. But just releasing the halyard on a sail gives me about a 30 percent reduction in sail area. Then I have to secure the reefs. That's not difficult, even in 30 to 40 kts. The main reef point is somewhat abaft the mast and is easy to tie in. Then there is a single line at the very front of the sail that locks in a camcleat and a reef point at the tail end of the sail.

But the main job on my rig is pulling the sails out from between the battens to prevent chafe. Tying in the reef points is easy. Over all I consider it easier to reef the two sails on my 46 ft schooner than it was reefing the main and roller furling jib on my Newport 33.

As others have remarked, windward performance is not spectacular with a junk rig (and mine is no exception), and I have found it necessary in rough conditions to use the engine when coming about to avoid being caught in stays. Frankly, I don't want to jibe in 30 to 40 kt winds when I'm the only one handling the sails. Just too hard to coordinate, but I'd do it with a crew person to handle the second sheet. Don't know that I'd want to do it above 40 kts though! I should mention that with 30 kts of wind I have one to two reefs in.

In calm seas and 20 kts (typical trade wind conditions for me in Hawaii), I can make 5 kts to windward at 45 deg apparent wind. Trying to point higher than that drops the speed dramatically. And I need at least 4.5 kts to come about reliably.

Cheers,

Carl Bostek
S/V Aphrodite
mraymus likes this.
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Carl-

Are you aware that you're replying to a thread that was dead and buried... six-months dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-25-2007

gyrfalcon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Carl-
Are you aware that you're replying to a thread that was dead and buried... six-months dead.
Why does it matter? Maybe Kenichi Horie will weigh in on this dead and buried thread someday.
mraymus likes this.
Old 04-11-2008

gyrfalcon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
Why does it matter? Maybe Kenichi Horie will weigh in on this dead and buried thread someday.
Or not...
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL.. that was funny.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-12-2013
I'm new.

Globalksp is on a distinguished road
Re: junk rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Carl-

And now you're aware that I'm replying to this loooong dead thread to say that it was still informative, all the way here in 2013.
MedSailor and mraymus like this.
Old 11-11-2013

truewin is on a distinguished road

Keep the thread going. Who cares how old it is. I'm looking at it and now trying to get as much info as I can. New or old - who cares? Wait, the "viewing" information says other people are looking too. I guess I'll click around to see who. Wait . . . Kenichi!?
mraymus likes this.
Old 11-11-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Ming Ming II by Roger Taylor sea trials of his new boat;

Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming
mraymus likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.