cape hatteras in february what gear should I bring? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
cape hatteras in february what gear should I bring?

There are fixed (non-opening) bridges under which your mast must pass. I have not yet done the "ditch" but I have heard that some of the published heights aren''t all correct, either.

Duane
@@@@@

Bawgy: why cant you sail ICW with a mast over 65 ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2004

Bermuda is on a distinguished road

Having tasted Hatteras'' wrath aboard my 32 during a nor''easter in 2000, perhaps whether you are Catholic or not, a set of rosary beads might be in order?

We narrowly (and luckily) escaped disaster but eight others were air lifted off their boats.

Cap''n Bruce
http://www.boatskipper.com
Old 01-28-2004

Bawgy is on a distinguished road

Where is a fixed bridge at on the ICW that you cant go under with a 65 foot mast ?
Old 01-28-2004

Bawgy,

I did a quick search and found this from right here on the SailNet site. It''s an excerpt from an article by Sue and Larry:

**** start excerpt ****
Bridges and Locks
An important part transiting the ICW involves the passing under or through many bridges. Both fixed and opening bridges need to be approached with certain knowledge and a modicum of respect. The fixed high-rise bridges on the Waterway are designed to provide a free vertical clearance of 65 feet. The actual bridge clearance however can differ from its design and from what''s shown on your chart. Tides, wind, and even rainfall can all affect the actual clearance of a fixed bridge. It''s common to see bridge clearance gauges that indicate less than the intended 65 feet. Boats with tall masts need to approach high-rise bridges carefully and proceed underneath only after confirming that the rig will fit.

Cruisers with mast heights between 63 and 65 feet are faced with a dilemma: Do you continue down the ICW approaching each bridge with trepidation, or turn around and sail offshore for the rest of your trip? Neither is a great option. If you find yourself in this crowd, you''ll will need to confirm each bridge at arrival, occasionally wait for low tide, and sometimes be forced to either heel the boat to one side, or turn around and backtrack to the next offshore inlet.

Our mast on Serengeti extends 60 feet above the water. This places the tip of our VHF antenna at 63 feet. We''ve never touched our antenna on any bridge structure, but we do know of several taller-masted boats that have sheared off their masthead tri-colors on the underside of bridges. How''s that for a close shave? Our experience tells us that all masts shorter than 63 feet will not pose a problem on the ICW. Take notice that the Julia Tuttle Causeway bridge in Miami somehow ended up with only 56 feet of clearance. A mistaken inversion of numbers, perhaps? Who knows? But boats with masts taller than 56 feet must go out the inlet at Fort Lauderdale and re-join the ICW at the Miami inlet.
**** end excerpt ****
Old 01-28-2004

I really meant 65 feet around the Cape Hatteress NC /VA area.
Old 01-29-2004

Sorry, Bawgy. That''s one of the problems with reading the "daily" posts; you don''t have the context of the entire thread to go on.
Old 01-29-2004

No problem I will be more specific in the future
Old 02-15-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, dis er pirate will tell ye to bring plenty of chlorine to clean up your frozen puke and your sense of humor, along wit a lot of rum. Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-17-2004

coondogger is on a distinguished road

Ok, an update. I berated my friend until he listened to reason and made several changes to the aforementioned passage. First, we are going in March instead of February. Secondly, we will not go outside of Hatteras but will duck in to the ICW just north of Cape Fear. Thirdly, the beginning of the trip will include a side trip to Bimini from Fort Lauderdale. So the worst part would actually be crossing the Gulfstream in a month when winds are predominantly from the north. In fact, if the winds are from the north and exceed 20 kts, we won''t go. How does this sound? I know I''m feeling better about it. By the way, downloading a copy of your posts and showing them to my friend helped. thanks.
Old 02-17-2004

aflanigan is on a distinguished road

I think the fact that you seriously considered the opinions of everyone from armchair offshore skippers like me to experienced, bluewater cap''ns instead of trying to dismiss peoples'' concerns is very commendable. Deep down, perhaps you had some reservations you may not have been aware of. Bravo to you for listening to that inner voice and adjusting your plans to put yourself more at ease. Healthy respect for Nature''s power and an appreciation of my own and my boat''s limitations is probably the last thing I''d want to leave shore without. In my opinion, you''ve already become a more seasoned and competent sailor without even leaving the dock!

Allen Flanigan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.