cape hatteras in february what gear should I bring? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
2 year old thread guys!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
LOL...see what I mean.
Old 01-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
UGH.... why do they do this cam??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2007

sail2001 is on a distinguished road
Coondogger, at the very least use a weather router service like Herb (Southbound II), and be prepared to dart into the closest shelter, Charleston SC or Beaufort NC south of Cape Lookout, and wait for a weather break. You will have about a 12 hour window before is gets really crappy. Keep in mind that northerly winds against the Gulf Stream build immense seas, steep and close-together, breaking indiscriminately. You will have winds on the nose, so this is going to be a beat in every sense of the word.
We
Old 01-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sail2001-

You are aware that Coondogger hasn't been back on the board since sometime in late 2004, and that his most recent post is over two years old... as Cam has kindly tried to point out, right??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-15-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm.....he wanted to make the passage in Feb O4 and he hasn't posted since then! Maybe his trip didn't go as planned. I have kitesurfed down there and it can be a very scary place. One time i was surfing and my leash broke. The rip current sucked me away from my board...maybe 2-300 feet in a very short time. By the time i got to shore it was almost out of sight!
Old 01-15-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcald
Would it be possible to take the intercoastal waterway and avoid offshore entirely between Florida and Virginia?
I think so, but could you do it in a 47 foot sailboat? My guess is the masts would be too tall for some of the fixed bridges.
Old 01-15-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
2 year old thread guys!
So until the guys who write the forum software come out with something automatic...Maybe the mods should just start locking threads that have gone more than six months without a post being added to them?
Old 01-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
HS...Mods can't do that but maybe Admins can! I like the locking idea when a thread is over a year or so old.

Midlife...I have done it on my boat quite a few time at 52'...as long as yer mast is 64' and your draft is 6' or less you can still do the whole thing as long as you are willing to wait for tidal help in a couple of places in SC and GA.
Old 01-15-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
HS...Mods can't do that but maybe Admins can! I like the locking idea when a thread is over a year or so old.
Actually... I think it should rather be when a thread is inactive (no new posts) for six months. A thread might be over a year old, but if it is still active, there is no point in locking it.

Telstar 28
New England