Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
Re: Reasons for knowing TVMDCAW

A GPS tells you where you are and where you have been, not where you are going. You need to know how to use a compass to figure out where you are going. I was on a 7 day passage a few years ago. We had 2 handhelds and a chart plotter. One handheld went over the side in a storm, the other had the batteries go dead and we didn't have enough extras, and the chart plotter shorted out during the storm. Without a paper chart and a compass we would mad landfall at the wrong destination.
dacap06 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If we are on a long passage, we record our position every 30 to 60 minutes, confirm it visually if possible and also record compass heading and speed. This way, if we lose the electronics, we are able to estimate our position. I will also check that depth on the sounder is reasonable for where the gps says we are. If we are close enough to pass a nav aid or very notable land feature, we use removable post it notes to mark it and the time on a chart. Pretty simple back up.
eddie nelson likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I have known CPR and the Heimlich for years. Never had to use them. I'm still glad I took the class.
Old 05-03-2012

skelmir is on a distinguished road

Just because you own a calculator doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to perform basic arithmetic by hand (or better yet in your head). Knowing the basics allows you to not just place blind trust in your chart plotter/handheld but to use it as a tool.

Hardware fails, software has errors, people make mistakes. Although I am far likelier than my GPS to make a mistake when plotting my position, I have seen my handheld tell me I travelled 500 miles in a few minutes by bicycle.

Trust no one and keep your phaser handy ;-)
Old 05-03-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspiker View Post
A GPS tells you where you are and where you have been, not where you are going. You need to know how to use a compass to figure out where you are going. I was on a 7 day passage a few years ago. We had 2 handhelds and a chart plotter. One handheld went over the side in a storm, the other had the batteries go dead and we didn't have enough extras, and the chart plotter shorted out during the storm. Without a paper chart and a compass we would mad landfall at the wrong destination.
I'll use your story if you don't mind. Real world is best.
Old 05-03-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If we are on a long passage, we record our position every 30 to 60 minutes, confirm it visually if possible and also record compass heading and speed. This way, if we lose the electronics, we are able to estimate our position. I will also check that depth on the sounder is reasonable for where the gps says we are. If we are close enough to pass a nav aid or very notable land feature, we use removable post it notes to mark it and the time on a chart. Pretty simple back up.
So do we. The only thing I add is:

I draw a vector to the destination on a paper map. I then plot the dot (time, incl GPS coord for LAT and LON) every 30-60 minutes depending on the weather. Ii will actually go two hours or more for long runs in the daylight where the weather is good.

My log has:

Time (military), coord, wind (T), speed (I only use SOG), heading (Mag... that is just me), and sea state. I also put in under a log anything unusual or any changes made. I make my own logs and keep them in those lab looking books that are ral cheap and cannot have paper torn out.

Also, put in where you are going from and where to. Mark completion. It is not that you will forget on the trip, but when makin return trips it is a awesome tool (we used it a LOT) to plan your departure. Believe me, you will forget how long it takes to get from Tampa to FMB or Marathon to Tortugas, whatever... and this is real time. It is important in most of these areas where we go not to make arrival at night, and in some cases (like he Tortugas) I MUCH prefer arriving around noon when we can see Coral heads well.

Just some thoughts.

ALso David, to answer you question, it is good to know because 1) Electronics will fail. 2) THe pure aspect of seamanship.

Great job reaching that stuff. Now what is a compass again and which button on my chartplotter do I press to get it?? (snicker).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-03-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspiker View Post
So you dead reckoned for 7 days at sea and hit the island you wanted? Crap, I couldn't do that. 7 days and I would be lucky to hit the continent of North America (snicker).

I have only dead reckoned once and not for very long on a trip from Tortugas. Crapping electronic cables on my ST6000 (E80 autpilot) came out and just a word of warning, when that happens, the whole system basically goes haywire. Oops. They didn't mention that in the manual.

I finally got the handheld up (which saved a mutiny) and tracked down our issue and got the GPS up, but I found it VERY hard to dead reckon and keep a course. Also requires constan steering. Had my butt puckered. incidentally, we were obviously well outside of sight of land.

Great job if you dead reckoned at sea for 7 days and hit your target. I assume you also used a sextant?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-03-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

OK Fine... I got ther TVMDC part, but what's the AW...??
Old 05-03-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
OK Fine... I got ther TVMDC part, but what's the AW...??

Add Westerly deviation and variation. Subtract east.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-03-2012

redline is on a distinguished road

Add West

(shorter variation of East is Least, West is Best)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.