Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Traditional Navigation

A structured course is not a bad way to learn, Sail and Power squadrons have them as DR mentioned, I hear that they are very good. ASA has a course. If you learn from an instructor in a class, you will pick up tips and tricks, and form good habits.

If you prefer to study on your own. I happen to like Mike Pyzels book alot. I think he has a companion DVD with it now. ASA sells the set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Join the "United States Power Squadron".
Formal courses start with the basics, and progress all the way up to Celestial Navigation.
You'll make a lot of friends, while being challenged to the limit.

Dick
Old 05-24-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Doing coastal nav with hand compass and charts is easier on a boat than doing similar on land because you almost always have a clear line of sight to your "nav aids" (buoys, towers, etc). So, if you can do it on land, it should be very easy on a boat.
I agree, noon sights with a sextant is easy. I have lost my sight reduction tables for lon and lat evening sights (do they still print them?) but am sure they are online somewhere.
Old 05-24-2012

superiorvoyager is on a distinguished road

I haven't done any Celestial Navigation since '86 (did it at the Legos Yacht Club in Nigeria when I was doing the single young male in a ripped t-shirt and cutoff jeans) and am always thinking I would like to refresh myself on it. I have looked at a couple of books on the subject but they were all about "why" it works and the theory behind it. I am just looking for either an online resource or book that talks about the simple "how". Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2012

tony9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilAW View Post
...I am not here to stir that pot, but to ask what the best way to go about learning traditional navigation skills, from taking sights, to celestial navigation. A book? Try to find a person skilled in such and ask for some instruction?
Neil
Hi Neil,
I'm in a similar situation. While I have GPS in my cell phone and marine GPS and a marine navigation app on the phone, I'm still interested in learning traditional navigation skills. I haven't found course yet but have found a wealth of info on the Internet and in books. It seems coastal navigation would be the place to start before getting into celestial navigation. I'm finding for celestial navigation, I'm having to read quite a few references to get a full explanation. Most references tell you what to do, but not the why. As another poster mentioned, different people have different learning styles. I prefer to understand the why over rote steps.

For practicing with a sextant on land, you might find this discussion interesting http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...tant-land.html

Last edited by tony9; 05-25-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2012
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

I think I will learn this too, just as soon as I finish chipping the stone tools i need to skin the beaver I clubbed to death earlier today for dinner.
WGEwald likes this.
Old 05-25-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post
Hi Neil,
I'm in a similar situation. While I have GPS in my cell phone and marine GPS and a marine navigation app on the phone, I'm still interested in learning traditional navigation skills. I haven't found course yet but have found a wealth of info on the Internet and in books. It seems coastal navigation would be the place to start
There are so many people that are in this boat, push a button, follow a cross track heading & hopefully end up where you want to be.

Chapmans is an excellent resource. It is a good stepping stone so that when you take a basic coastal navigation course you get it right out the gate. If you're good with a compass & topo map, charts are a piece of cake. Same principals, just need to wrap your head around tides & currents.

I think in todays world, very few people can actually plot out a DR route.
IMHO, until this task can be mastered, you shouldn't be using a GPS.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 05-25-2012
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
I think I will learn this too, just as soon as I finish chipping the stone tools i need to skin the beaver I clubbed to death earlier today for dinner.
I agree. This is a sarcastc, unhelpful post, from an an uncharitable mind. We can do without this sort of thing on here.
Old 05-25-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree. This is a sarcastc, unhelpful post, from an an uncharitable mind. We can do without this sort of thing on here.

Geeze, Cherp, don't ya think you're being kinda hard on old Cherp? Maybe he was just being witty and tongue-in-cheek.

'course, you may know him better than I.... ;-)
Old 05-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I reckon your saying "why learn to navigate when we have gadgets to do it for you"? Do you realize how fragile your electronics are to moisture, movement, and how many people have to get out of bed in the morning to make sure all those systems stay up and running? I can only immagine how lonely it must feel to be out there, have your systems fail and not know where you are. First they invented the engine and people who couldn't sail went to sea, then they inveted radio and people who couldn't navigate went to sea. What we have now is a whole bunch of people on the sea who really should'nt be out there...... Oh, and boil that beaver first or it will be too chewy to masticate.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.