Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road
Re: Traditional Navigation

As noted above - find your local Poser Squadron or CG Aux and take their basic Navigation class to start - that gives you the most class for the dollar as the instructors are unpaid volunteers - the Aux text book for navigation is for sale to the public now I think - for charts you want to get charts that match the text - there are training charts available for many areas - a training chart is one that NOAA has frozen all the updates on so the class problems I developed three years ago still work because the chart is the same all the time - District 14 is the CG Aux for your area - I have left a partial link below because I am I think still under the post limit to let me put a full link in a Posting.

Learn your basic Coastal Nav and the basics first before you worry much about the fancy electronics - of the people I know that have gotten it trouble it seems they went straight to fancy electronics and skipped the basics - besides - what happens when the fancy electronics blow a fuse?

Good luck

a140.uscgaux.info/index.htm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsaildude View Post
besides - what happens when the fancy electronics blow a fuse?
Replace the fuse.
SimonV and erps like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-30-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Replace the fuse.
Then there was the couple I met a couple of years ago - their boat had three independent nav systems. They were sailing in Greece and the weather report was not accurate and the wind kicked up to around 40 45 knots as the sun went down and they were in and around a group of islands. No problem with the fancy GPS navigation

Then they took a lightening strike and took out all the navigation systems and most of the rest of the electronics.

At that point they were quite happy they had an old fashioned DR plot on paper - they navigated the old fashioned way to the next port.

Also having been on boats when the electronic systems had a bit of an issue for a while I was quite happy to have the old fashioned plot on paper and a navigation log .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

I knew some folks who had the same bad weather thing, knock out their expensive electronics....but a very strong wind also blew all the paper maps out of the boat and into the water, where they got all wet and soggy and were ruined. The electronics dried out and came back to life....but those wet, soggy maps were ruined forever. They fell apart and sank anyway.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 05-30-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I heard of a captain whose goat ate the chart.Fortunately he was a sailor but he got rid of the goat anyway.
Old 05-30-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
but a very strong wind also blew all the paper maps out of the boat and into the water, where they got all wet and soggy and were ruined.
Charts belong on a chart table (or saloon table). I do not allow charts in the cockpit. My memory is good enough that I can walk up the companionway stairs without forgetting how I should be navigating.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-30-2012

johnweb is on a distinguished road

If you have a gps and a chart of the area you can get a pretty good fix on your position using the lattitude and longtitude. Taking sightings of landmarks such as lights or structures with a hand held compass will also help. Charts also give you depth, channel markers and other info to help you. Have fun.
Old 05-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I can't belive we have a class of SAILOR who thinks of a chart as the "old fashion way"! It's the only way! I'm stupified by the post G.P.S. crowd who actually defend the position of "why learn the basics when I have a gadget" Not only that, but they seem to be proud of it!! I live in Key West and consider myself open minded and I certainly don't mean to offend, but we call those dudes "Gadget Fa%$ets"
.................................Someone had to say it.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-30-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Silly to assume the charts were not inside the boat, on the chart table, and had been taken to the cockpit. That was never mentioned or even inferred. It never even dawned on me someone would do that, take the charts to the cockpit in foul weather.

Thanks for pointing that out though....glad we can learn from your mistakes.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 05-30-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Dangers of Paper Charts

There was a group of 3 boats, each had 2 couples on board. They were heading south, through the ITCZ.

All three boats were loaded with the latest electronic equipment, but only the last boat also kept their position with traditional paper charts and instruments. It was during a very strange, overnight electrical storm, the unthinkable happened. The two lead boats lost communication with the trailing boat. Their expensive electronics failing them, they could not see or contact their friends in the trailing boat. It was a long, terrifying night at sea, lost, separated, unable to watch DVD movies, play Xbox games, even the Kindle was malfunctioning. Their only hope was the last boat, keeping position with traditional paper charts.

The next morning they found the boat, drifting, with torn sails and deck in disarray. As one guy boarded the boat and went below, he was met with a most gruesome and horrifying sight: The man was laying in the cabin floor, surrounded by a pool of blood! There were many, many small puncture wounds in his back, and three bloody pencils sticking out of the body. There was an eraser in his mouth, and a chart had been wrapped around his broken neck.

In the head was the woman, slouched over the head covered in blood. A pair of dividers sticking out of her neck! He heard a sound...click....click...clack...click....and as he looked into the forward v-berth, he saw a parallel ruler, standing on it's end, walking toward him all by itself, maintaining a perfect heading! Click....click.....clack.....click....

He ran from the boat screaming. Leaving it adrift, he told the other cruisers what he had found and the horrible sight he had seen. They reported it to the authorities, but to this day, the boat has never been found. Cruisers in the area report, late at night, hearing a click....click...clack...click of the parallel rulers echoing across the waves.

If you hear this sound and come across a boat adrift: Do Not Board!! You may meet the same gruesome end.
Chris12345 likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional