Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Barnegat Light vessel lost

Absolutely I pull the charts. Barnegat specifically doesnt chart the inner markers as they can be moved due to shifting shoals. I also call the Coast Gaurd Station there before entering the inlet to get updates and ask about conditions.

Our SOP when we come in an inlet is main sail up ( in case the engine fails we can sail back out of the inlet,) and life jackets on with protable VHF attached. This is not to be an alarmest, but it is a highly intense time for me when we traverse the inlets.

In addtion I watch the other larger boats transiting to see if there are any nuances or conditions they appear to go through before I travel it. sually there are many larger power boats.

dave
eherlihy, dnf777 and ottos like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

BTW Chef - 9th Street bridge is done!
Old 06-05-2012

Wow great to hear,,,that road was so dangerous and how many hours did those people wait in line in the summer to get from the maoinland toOC. It should help the businesses and access in the middle of the island by water

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-05-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

No offense Jentine, but not all the oil evaporates. Any man who's been degraded by having to use a loofa sponge to get tarballs off his feet after walking the beach will testify to that fact!
Old 06-05-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Wow great to hear,,,that road was so dangerous and how many hours did those people wait in line in the summer to get from the maoinland toOC. It should help the businesses and access in the middle of the island by water

Dave
But better yet, no waiting for bridge openings! - by sailboats or cars!
Old 06-05-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
BTW Chef - 9th Street bridge is done!
Help me please. Where is this bridge? I've carried 54' feet through Barnegat Bay before and I'm returning soon. What's the clearance of this new fixed bridge?

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 06-05-2012

No need to worry Captain Force

Ottos and I were referring to the 9th St Bridge leading to Ocean City NJ from Sommer Point NJ. he lives in that area and I lived in Ocean city NJ for 18 years before moving to Maryland.

All clear in the Barnegat inlet

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-06-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Otter, I would think the diesel fuel is the least of their worries, considering the vast amount of tonnage sunk off that coast during WW2 which is STILL leaking fuel. In the 60's it used to be normal to go to the beach and use "tar remover" to get the tar balls off, coming from the same fuel.

Allowing diving or recovery IN THE INLET during daylight hours would seem far more dangerous, as traffic would no doubt be coming through with no idea the inlet was closed and then, where do they go? Not a good thing. So yes, I can see their logic, limited opportunity, least danger.

The boat? If it is like many other inlets, the wreck would be pulled out with the outbound tide and rapidly go into deeper water outside of the inlet. Might be more appropriate to use a RIB with sonar, even a fishfinder, to locate the wreck.

Really, the authorities there are probably more concerned with safety, for traffic and for divers, than anything else. And as long as that wreck doesn't obstruct navigation--they're not going to get all hot and bothered about 300 gallons of fuel.
Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Really, the authorities there are probably more concerned with safety, for traffic and for divers, than anything else. And as long as that wreck doesn't obstruct navigation--they're not going to get all hot and bothered about 300 gallons of fuel. -hellosailor

Good point

The grounding occured outside the actual inlet on the sunken part of the jetty marking the entrance. It is an area of consideral p[eril from rocks as well as breakers so the chances of the boat survuvung and staying there whole are minimal.

I think the was what the original poster was refering to. Had he been allowed to just pull the vessel off the rocks and get it into clamer protected waters before the possible breakup it could have avoided ANY fuel spill, The governement bueracrycy of it maybe contributed to a situation which could have been avoided had logic prevailed.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-06-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Help me please. Where is this bridge? I've carried 54' feet through Barnegat Bay before and I'm returning soon. What's the clearance of this new fixed bridge?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, Cap.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.