Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Re: Barnegat Light vessel lost

Well, at least the chart is already marked with a wreck at that site.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dunno, Dave. The nooze story said the distress call was heard at 7:45AM, which would mean depending on wx and tide the inlet could be expecting heavy traffic and that would make any salvage/tow unfeasible. What if a tow breaks and the boat now goes IN the inlet? Not to mention the nooze unclearly said the boat sank--as if that was immediate.

"and get it into clamer protected waters " Thinking, that would involve a TOW of an unstable sinking vessel through an INLET with heavy traffic. Nothing could go wrong with that. Ahem.

The USCG and NJSP both generally want wrecks cleared and waters unobstructed, and if the owner doesn't do it promptly--they do it themselves and mail you the bill. I know this from the widow of an acquaintance who died near another NJ inlet. Well, his boat sank and he was lost, he was presumed dead.

So I'll stick with my guess, that their concern at that point was simply traffic and safety.

I know we're all cheap SOBs, but I can't help wondering, with the number of boats that hit breakwaters, why more of them aren't marked any better. Cost of one marker versus cost of one wreck...it's a no-brainer, bill it to the insurance companies and let them complain about it while they make money by not paying off total losses. (It isn't just the folks who screw up their own navigation who get hurt, their guests/crew are also victims here.)

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-06-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

As I stated before, heavy fog and misjudgment from the crew. The insurance company and its surveyor held us off that wreck until it was too late, we werent even authorized to head out to LOOK let alone mark with buoys. In the interest of the insurance company if no Government Agencies are demanding it salvaged its cheaper for them to only pay the loss and not have it salvaged.
Old 06-06-2012
Señor Member

FWIW - a story with some first person account...but not much meat.
Old 06-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

From the charts...that whole area looks outright dangerous for a boat that size. Or for anything bigger than a bass boat.

And it looks like a 4nm run from the point where the channel exits Barnegat Bay to the inlet itself, so unless the USCG put up a couple of picket boats THAT far in to turn back traffic, they'd really have a cluster(ahem) of boats trying to get down the channel and turn back, if they closed the inlet to allow salvage or survey. Looks like a real nasty run in even the best of wx.
Old 06-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
And it looks like a 4nm run from the point where the channel exits Barnegat Bay to the inlet itself, so unless the USCG put up a couple of picket boats THAT far in to turn back traffic, they'd really have a cluster(ahem) of boats trying to get down the channel and turn back, if they closed the inlet to allow salvage or survey. Looks like a real nasty run in even the best of wx- Hellosailor
The route to Barnegat Bay is a narrow winding one, but looks much more imposing on the map that in reality. It is a little over 2+ miles.

A lot of the boats transiting the area also come from behind the island. The boat hit outside in the ocean and hot the submerged rocks of the the north jetty and slid off them when the tide came in and san outside the jetty.

Barnegat like all NJ inlets is not a picnic. It being one of the most trecherous but staill passable. We have been in and out it many times, but if there is a lrge NE or E componenet of wind over 25 we jusrt pass it by.

dave

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

Honest, Dave, the little ruler on the computer said 4nm from the channel mark out to midinlet, ignoring the significant curves in the channel. Either way...I would hate to see a parade trying to turn around on that run. I'd be more afraid of the inevitable bozo, broadside and drifting in the wind, than an empty channel. And if there was a string of them (what IS the plural for bozo, anyway?) the way they collect at simple bridge openings...Nuh uh, I can see the USCG wanting very much to avoid any chance of that.

No doubt in coming weeks someone will bump into the tower and find that boat. Or some enterprising folks with a Whaler and a fishfinder will go out and find it sooner. The charts don't show TOO many Greyhound busses parked out there, and the water isn't really deep enough to hide them for long.
Old 06-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ha...thats the difference between the ruler and someone who has done it in person a few times. That ride from the Bay to the inlet is not a fun one in a sailboat as you are steering in very shoaled area ( 1 ft on either side) in a narrow ( 30 ft) channel for about 25 minutes swatting greenhead flies ( New Jersey state bord) and hoping the PB wakes dont knowck you onto the flats.

I think you are right in your call that the CG didnt want to close the inlet down so as not to impede other boats since the boat it the outside of the north jetty ( ocean side vrs the inlet side) and was not a hazzard to navagaition. Anyone wanting to slavage or rescue would have had to fight the breakers and surge against the rocks as well as other hidden rocks and boulders ( stated in the news article). The CG station is in the back of the oinlet and had a bords eye view of what was happeneing. That CG station handles a lot od distress calls in the inlet as it is a tricky one that people and commercial fishermen use ( Atlantic City, Cape May and Manesquan are the only "good" NJ inlets. This one however is still possible with local knowledge.

Just know that you are in for a suprise in this inlet Barneget) when you come in from the ocean. Its a white knuckler comming in, but stay down the fairway from the sea bouy ( gong) all ways out 1.5 miles. 12 ft shoals on eaither side 1/2 mile out cause the swells to break and the rollers can go sideways through the inlet. You normally can relax once you get in between the jetties as in most inletsbut not here, as there is a shoal which takes up the whole 1/2 of the south side of the inlet meaning you have to steer slose to the rocks ( jetty) on the north side....then a further suprise awaits you. at the rear of the inlet passage when the rocks end you have to do a severe 90 degree dogleg to port and cross perpendicullary across the back of the inlet ( tide hits you broadside from whatever direction for this little 250 yard jaunt. This s well marked but confusing to a first timer.

Once across the back of the inlet you have a choice...go to Barnegat Bay ( 25 minutes of the barrow channel with Greenheads or stay close to the island (Gas and marinas) There is one of the prettiest anchorages just after the turn to go to Barnegat Bay with a beautiful lighthouse view and cool ocean breeze with no greenheads. , but you have to proceed a few hundered yards before turning in. How do I know ( At low tide the birds are standing in the sand ). When we anchor here we dingy over to Barnegat light to the best custard stand I have visited by the lighthouse

There is also a nice YC ( HIghbar) if you go further back behind the Island.

When we go to NE and the LI Sound every year we stop in this anchorage and go in this inlet unless the seas are 10 ft in the ocean and the wind componenet is over 20 from the E or NE. When the condition are like this the rollers are to large through the inlet and transiting is to dangerous IMHO. Safe to stay outside and proceed down to Atalantic City or up to Manesquan.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-06-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2012
Señor Member

It's not that bad....really

Last edited by ottos; 06-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

"Ha...thats the difference between the ruler and"
Not really, chef. I was just using the ruler to check the distance, and routing it (instead of a ruler) from R40 through Oyster Creek Channel, which is the preferred one on my chart since Double Creek would force a shoal crossing, actually gives a run of just under 5nm from the R40 mark to the outside of the inlet.
Add the notices about shoaling, changes, marks being moved...It's easy to know what to expect, if you're comfortable with maps and charts. (I actually know someone who swears they can't read a road map, the image makes no sense to them.) My only confusion was over the remarks about a submerged jetty, since the chart shows only one of those, to the south of the inlet. The main jetty forming part of the inlet on the north side shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone, unless wreckers moved the light on the end.
Why do I think those fellows are going to take up golf next month?