Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Re: Barnegat Light vessel lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
My only confusion was over the remarks about a submerged jetty, since the chart shows only one of those, to the south of the inlet. The main jetty forming part of the inlet on the north side shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone, unless wreckers moved the light on the end.
HS - are we looking at the same chart? Yes there is a sub. jetty to the south, but the north inlet jetty does as well - right under the wreck that is marked.

(Image courtesy of Active Captain)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Yes, same chart. I'd expect the northern jetty to be partly awash or possibly submerged there, but the line from the inlet, the extension from the northern part of that jetty, and the linear run out to the light, would all make it look fairly hard to miss the northern jetty. As opposed to the one on the south side, cutting catty-corner from the light to the shore. That looks like it wouldn't be as obvious to locate, from the water.

Maybe if they built an amusement and fishing pier on top of it, and put Disney in charge? And they could bring that Italian cruise ship alongside, for a real tourist attraction?
Old 06-07-2012
Señor Member

Jon Eisberg did a very informative post last fall. I'll copy it here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
So much for Local Knowledge, I suppose... (grin) My apologies, I did a rather poor job of describing what I meant, there. I'll plead the excuse of the lateness of the hour of my posting, and the fact that I had raised a glass or 2 too many last night, to the memory of Indy Champion Dan Wheldon...

The outermost portion of the north jetty has been reduced to somewhat of a pile of rubble by the wave action over recent years. For years the light on the jetty had been a more substantial tower, which eventually was at risk of toppling over, and was eventually replaced with a light on a single pole driven into the bottom, rather than mounted on top of the rocks... But, if you look closely at the pic below, you can see it is placed slightly to the outside of the rocks...

Add the fact that the channel normally favors the N side to a considerable degree - there is usually a lighted green buoy just inside the jetties, often placed about 2/3 of the way across the inlet towards the N side... From there on in, the channel run quite close to the rocks, generally closer than the red course line below would indicate...

My impression has always been that as the end of the jetty has been broken down, there is a significant amount of underwater obstruction from the debris extending a bit more to seaward... It can certainly appear that way from the visible wave action there in certain conditions, and friends who fish around the rocks there believe there are rocks that extend slightly further out... I'll take their word for it, I've no inclination to investigate that any more closely...
And lastly the image from the Coast Pilot -

Old 06-07-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

Upate. Found the boat and going through the motions to claim the salvage on her. Since go figure, the insurance company thinks they are just going to let it sit as is. Its lying on a shifting bar with air inside her bow causing her to be light on her feet, that being said it is far to easy for her to be drug out into navigable waters. Since the insurance company is against salvage, I notified the State Police Marine division as well as the Coast Guard to let them know it will be a hazard if it hasnt already.
Old 06-07-2012
Otter

At low tide those "submerged" rocks are just visible. At dead high they are below the waters. More than a fair share have fallen victim to those rocks.
Old 06-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Otter, if they don't want to salvage it, then doesn't that mean they've abandoned it and the boat is up for grabs?

Not to mention, that's gotta be a MARPOL violation and a dozen other fines for dumping that big a chunk of plastic inside the 3-mile limit and not even trying to recover it.(G)
Old 06-07-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Upate. Found the boat and going through the motions to claim the salvage on her.
Good luck, Otter!

I don't know anything about it, but with a full tank, wouldn't DEP mandate that it be raised?
Old 06-07-2012
Otter

Yes it technically is up for grabs but if i claim salvage rights my company assumes ALL cost of salvage which I cannot do. By informing the marine police and coast guard it SHOULD force them into a legal mitigation and force them to have the vessel removed. Ottos, it has been leaking fuel since she first went down and sadly the agencies say its not a big deal. " only a few hundred gallons". Unbelievable, throw a cigarette or piece of trash on the ground and get a 55 dollar fine, let 350 gallons of fuel spill into the ocean and consider it not so bad..