SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Barnegat Light vessel lost (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/88119-barnegat-light-vessel-lost.html)

DivingOtter 06-01-2012 12:52 PM

Barnegat Light vessel lost

I did this salvage attempt yesterday. Sadly she broke apart due to complications and delays from a party that will not be named. Not the CG, not the owner. Since the insurance company only authorized us ONE hour of searching AT NIGHT, her remains now lie spilling 300 plus gallons into the Atlantic and shores of Island Beach State Park. Im currently writing lengthy reports for the CG, DEP, EPA and insurance and insurance.

6 rescued after fishing boat sinks off NJ | 6abc.com

CarbonSink62 06-01-2012 01:44 PM

Re: Barnegat Light vessel lost

Thanks for the post; I never hear good things about the NJ coast.

bljones 06-01-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 (Post 878885)
Thanks for the post; I never hear good things about the NJ coast.

I blame Snooki and The Situation.

bljones 06-01-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivingOtter (Post 878848)
I did this salvage attempt yesterday. Sadly she broke apart due to complications and delays from a party that will not be named. Not the CG, not the owner. Since the insurance company only authorized us ONE hour of searching AT NIGHT, her remains now lie spilling 300 plus gallons into the Atlantic and shores of Island Beach State Park. Im currently writing lengthy reports for the CG, DEP, EPA and insurance and insurance.

6 rescued after fishing boat sinks off NJ | 6abc.com

Thanks for doing what you do, and sorry about the premium-based bureaucracy that you have to deal with.

DivingOtter 06-01-2012 03:15 PM

Its a three ring circus. To me it seemed my company was delayed so long so that the insurance co would have less to deal with. Now no one wants to claim responisibility, the Ins. Company, CG, DEP, EPA or the state. It makes me sick that no one cares about fuel spilling into the coastline.

jentine 06-03-2012 10:41 PM

The oil will evaporate but the loss of the lightship is a shame.

Jim

ottos 06-05-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentine (Post 879985)

Jim

jen - It wasn't a light-ship - It was a fishing vessel (sport fisher from the looks of it) at Barnegat Light.

According to the local news, it went aground on the north jetty of the inlet - which as I recall becomes submerged at high tide. There is a light at the end of the jetty (and one on the south jetty). Short of engine/steering failure the only reason a boat like that should go aground there is failure to read the chart. If I remember right a sailboat did the same thing last year when he came out of the fog and was disoriented going for the inlet. He crossed the submerged jetty from the north. I believe the captain posted his story here.

Barney's teeth don't suffer fools or mistakes.

CaptainForce 06-05-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentine (Post 879985)

Jim

Maybe, "Vessel Lost at Barnegat Light" would have been a better title.

chef2sail 06-05-2012 03:33 PM

That inlet is pretty straightforward if you follow the "fairway: in from the outer bouys, It is a mess in an outgoing tide as well as eastern wind componenet, but what ocean inlet isnt. The shoals (13 ft or less) extend out well over half a mile and cause the ocean swells to break with rollers across the inlet. Also complicating the trip in the the shoal in the middle to asouth side of the inlet once you get inside the Rockpiles ( Jetties). Forces you to hug the northern jetty. Be that as it may it is well marked.

The sailboat earlier was trying to shortcut the Bouys jn fog and approached the inlet way to close to shore. and ran into the submerged jetty. Sounds like the Sportfisher ( 33 ft) was doing the same. There is no gain from shortcutting any of the Jersey Inlets. There are 4 sets of large bell bouys on the way out of Barnegat. Not sure why anyone even risks taking the shortcut.

We have traversed this inlet over 25 times and always do with respect and from the Outside Bell right down the fairway. That is a difficult enough ride keeping the rollers through the channel from forcing you out. No reason to try and shorten it.

Dave

ottos 06-05-2012 04:49 PM

I've only run Barnegat once, so I am certainly no expert in that location (or anywhere really) ;)

You, Chef are a veteran, and know what to expect, but I'll bet you still pull out your chart and review it, take note of the wind and tide states, and probably check local knowledge via VHF to see if there have been any changes since your last visit. Shifting shoals, you know. Maybe even the LNTM?

It is straightforward if you do everything right.

That's just everyday sailing for the 'bad' Jersey Shore. I bet it would work for southern Long Island too.