Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road
Re: Celestial Nevigation - Book recommendations sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Ok, all discussion of why you would want to learn it, or how much use it is in 2012, aside.........

Maybe not in 2012...but when the zombie apocalypse hits, I want to be ready...The safest place will be the sea..I will roam the Oceans like Kevin Costner in Waterworld ( Yes it was a horrible movie)...Just need to watch out for zombie pirates and smokers...

I learned CN while in the Naval Sea Cadets, of course that was 30 years ago and forgot most of what I learned, but I recently picked up a copy of THE SEXTANT HANDBOOK by Bruce Bauer...I now feel prepared to face end times...OK, I gotta get back to reloading ammo...
smurphny likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

CN is alive and well! I use it every time I sail to confirm that I am in the vicinity of Lake Arthur in western Pa. Haven't been wrong yet! ;-)
Old 06-04-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
CN is alive and well! I use it every time I sail to confirm that I am in the vicinity of Lake Arthur in western Pa.
Me too!! Unfortunately, I'm actually on Santa Monica Bay, in California.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-04-2012

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road

I loved "Celestial Navigation in a Nutshell" by Hewitt Schlereth.

Clear, practical, a little history, entertaining. Easy read.

Gotta love this stuff.

Skywalker
Old 06-07-2012

FoolishMuse is on a distinguished road

Step By Step Sextant Users Guide
http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Sext...%20GuideV6.pdf
It's free and was written by someone who was completely frustrated with the books on the market - Me!
Old 06-07-2012

Over40pirate is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Celestial Nevigation - Book recommendations sought

I too am preparing to learn this dying art. I am a bit intriqued by the whole thing and look forward to it.

There are a lot of nay-sayers out there on the subject, about how useless it is in this "modern world" of ours. But what if you were out on an ocean passage and the ultra reliable government(s) shut the GPS signal off. Or what if the Myans just happen to be right and things crash down (or up) around us and a few are left to re-discover what is left. How will they get around without a signal to lock on to with their useless techno gadgets?

I say good for you Chris. I am going to use the Starpath program; looks very good and has a lot of positive feedback.
Old 06-09-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over40pirate View Post
I too am preparing to learn this dying art. I am a bit intriqued by the whole thing and look forward to it.

There are a lot of nay-sayers out there on the subject, about how useless it is in this "modern world" of ours. But what if you were out on an ocean passage and the ultra reliable government(s) shut the GPS signal off. Or what if the Myans just happen to be right and things crash down (or up) around us and a few are left to re-discover what is left. How will they get around without a signal to lock on to with their useless techno gadgets?

I say good for you Chris. I am going to use the Starpath program; looks very good and has a lot of positive feedback.
I think you got it right in your first sentence. It is an art, to be done for the reason anyone pursues an 'art' for a sense of achievement and self satisfaction. It was for these reasons I pursued it.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say it is useless, I do think the argument for it being a necessary skill for offshore sailing has now passed.

If Mayan end of world prophecy proves true, or if the US government reaches a point where it's military systems are rendered inoperable I am not sure I personally would ever want to find shore again

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

AFAIK, the US Navy still uses Bowditch. The course I took used Mixter. Blewitt's book looked interesting, so I got it too. They all seem to work. Now all I need is my own sextant...
Old 06-10-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
AFAIK, the US Navy still uses Bowditch. The course I took used Mixter. Blewitt's book looked interesting, so I got it too. They all seem to work. Now all I need is my own sextant...
I seem to recall hearing that they recently stopped teaching celestial navigation at Annapolis. If they don't teach it there, I doubt the rest of the Navy does either.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"AFAIK, the US Navy still uses Bowditch."
And they'd damn well better, because they (NOAA, DMA, GSIA, whoever it is this week) still maintain and publish the damned thing. And of course it goes well beyond simple celestial nav.

"I seem to recall hearing that they recently stopped teaching celestial navigation at Annapolis." IIRC at least five years ago it changed from mandatory to optional?

Of course when laser-ring gyroscopes ramped down from a quarter million to a mere fifty cent integrated part, I'm sure that changed the whole field of inertial navigation systems as well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.