SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Bump in the night (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/88507-bump-night.html)

davidpm 06-11-2012 11:06 PM

Bump in the night

We stayed aboard Fri night at our exposed mooring.
There was no wind and only 6" waves and for a couple of hours at slack tide the mooring ball and dinghy kept banking the boat. From topsides it was just a touch but from the forepeak it sounded like drums.
Other than setting an anchor which has it's own side effects I didn't want to deal with do you have any ideas of how to kill the sound?

Fenders would not help as the bumping was from various places.

CalebD 06-11-2012 11:43 PM

Re: Bump in the night

Some people at our club routinely disconnect the mooring ball from the chain/loop and bring it up on their boat. Boats in our area routinely sail up on the mooring ball.
Might require a little bit of extra hardware and effort but should do the trick.

jackdale 06-12-2012 12:01 AM

Some standard solutions for the dinghy.

Bring the dinghy along side and put fenders behind the boat and the dinghy.
Bring the dingy on deck
Lash a spin pole abeam and attach the dinghy to the spin pole. (actually done ij reverse order.)
Buy an inflatable.

Caleb's solution for the ball sounds good.
What kind of bow do you have? If you cinch the mooring ball right right up tight, will it stay off the hull? That will not work with a plumb bow.

SlowButSteady 06-12-2012 12:54 AM

Is it possible to rig up a mooring whip to the bow to keep the ball away from the hull?

davidpm 06-12-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 883612)
Some people at our club routinely disconnect the mooring ball from the chain/loop and bring it up on their boat. Boats in our area routinely sail up on the mooring ball.
Might require a little bit of extra hardware and effort but should do the trick.

Not sure how that would work.
The chain comes up through the hole in the ball and has a shackle that connects the pennants at the top of the ball. The shackle will not drop through the hole.

If I haul enough I will start pulling chain aboard but the ball stays in the water.

If I disconnect that shackle I could easily drop the chain.

I think your guys have the pennants connected to the bottom of the ball.

davidpm 06-12-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 883617)
Caleb's solution for the ball sounds good.
What kind of bow do you have? If you cinch the mooring ball right right up tight, will it stay off the hull? That will not work with a plumb bow.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...o-short-2.html

Second page has a picture of the boat at the mooring.
It it not dead plumb but close.

In my case I have no automatic way to cinch the ball as it is free to slide up and down the chain.

erps 06-12-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

f I haul enough I will start pulling chain aboard but the ball stays in the water.
On our boat, we haul up on the chain so about a foot of chain is out of the water. The chain hangs straight down and keeps the ball away from the boat. The ball will slide up and down on the chain, but it will be straight up and down. We have enough overhang that this works. As Jack said, this won't work with plumb bows.

hellosailor 06-12-2012 09:32 AM

You're sure it wasn't an amorous sea lion? (G)

Sometimes a small riding sail on the backstay will help. But when the air is still and the current reverses, or wind blows you back against the ball...it is just going to bump.

Throwing out a smaller stern anchor and pulling back from the ball might do it.

For dinks, there was a post online some year ago about using two pieces of heavy wall PVC tubing over a "V" bridle off the stern. The idea being that the dink can only get so close, and then the "V" (pointy end at the dink) keeps it back off your transom. Two or three bucks for a stick of PVC pipe to slide over existing lines, if you want to try it. Recommended at that time for towing, so the dink wouldn't surf up and keep hitting the transom.

But you're sure it wasn't an amorous sea lion? You know, especially if you have a gray inflatable....(G)

erps 06-12-2012 12:05 PM

We had a baby seal nursing on our boat last summer. Woke us up early in the morning. When we pulled anchor and left, it was crying. Silly seal.

CalebD 06-12-2012 04:05 PM

I looked for a diagram that would show what I intend to describe but no luck. On our mooring the chain is shackled to a large metal ring (6" dia. x 1" stock). The ring is the attachment point for our pennants AND the ball. If we wanted to take the ball off we would attach the pennants as per normal, then pull the pennants up to the ring and disconnect the shackle for the ball. Viola!
We don't do this but many others at our club do as they don't like the mooring ball chafing their finely waxed hulls. My boat is 45 years old and a little ball chafing is to be expected at that age!
We also use a soft inflatable ball, not a hard one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 883684)
Not sure how that would work.
The chain comes up through the hole in the ball and has a shackle that connects the pennants at the top of the ball. The shackle will not drop through the hole.

If I haul enough I will start pulling chain aboard but the ball stays in the water.

If I disconnect that shackle I could easily drop the chain.

I think your guys have the pennants connected to the bottom of the ball.