Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice Sought for minimalist coastal navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by b40Ibis View Post
Also train your dog to bark at buoys, specifically at buoys w/gongs. I am serious, I mean sic'em! Even in fog, a dog can hear better than we can. Plus they have a better sense of direction especially on well traveled routes.
The dog will bark strait towards it.
I call it DOGDAR.
Dog Originated Go Dog And Range, you just line up the yapping!
Now that is funny.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post

My wish list items are radar and an ais on one plotter, with overlay. But if and until that happens the above has worked for me.
You may want to get a separate AIS screen. In areas with heavy traffic the AIS targets are obscuring crucial information. Check out the English Channel on MarineTraffic.com.
Tempest likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-18-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Do not rely on MarineTraffic.com, it is NOT real time. I have also used it on my smartphone, but it does have a caveat on the web site.

If you want to know where big ships are, listen to your local Vessel Traffic Services on VHF.

Thanks Jack, To clarify. I don't rely on any single tool exclusively. The times that I have used Marine Traffic.com it's been useful. While it's not real time, It does offer me the opportunity to see the vessel's name, and it's most recent course and speed. Having the name, helps in contacting them directly. Ships are more likely to answer a direct call, than a general securite.

The Last time, I needed it, it came in quite handy, it picked up every big ship of concern..and I was able to communicate with them.
Old 06-18-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Thanks Jack, To clarify. I don't rely on any single tool exclusively. The times that I have used Marine Traffic.com it's been useful. While it's not real time, It does offer me the opportunity to see the vessel's name, and it's most recent course and speed. Having the name, helps in contacting them directly. Ships are more likely to answer a direct call, than a general securite.

The Last time, I needed it, it came in quite handy, it picked up every big ship of concern..and I was able to communicate with them.
The times I have used in the PNW it has been pretty good. I still rely on VTS in heavy traffic areas and at night or in fog.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-18-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Henry,

I just pulled out my 76csx and cable, opened up Offshore Navigator lite on my laptop and hooked up the unit and it recognized it. I threw in few quick routes and waypoints saved them and it was able to upload them to the garmin unit.

So, with that, I think you have the tools that you are looking for, and I know now, that I seem to have real time tracking with my laptop, garmin, and Maptech.

Last edited by Tempest; 06-19-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised open CPN and active captain haven't entered into this discussion.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Henry, onceuponatime not so long ago, that's how a GPS was used, waypoint to waypoint, no chartplotters. SO by all means, yes, it can still be done.

I'd be surprised to find any GPS that didn't let you upload waypoints you created on your computer, but with most (all?) Garmins there is a small stumbling block. You may have to set the Garmin into "NMEA/NMEA" communications protocol for it to work with your AIS and displays, and then RESET that to "GARMIN/GARMIN" in order to upload or transfer waypoints and other information with the computer. No big deal--unless you're not aware of the need to switch modes every time. Maybe your model is smart enough not to need that, check the manual.
Old 06-19-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

Tempest... thanks, that appears to be my missing link and if I'd fired up the MapTech package before posting I'd have had my answer. Thanks again.

Hellosailor... my point is that I'll have no AIS, radar or chartplotter. All I want are a depth sounder and the handheld GPS sending to a NMEA 0183 slave display showing SOG. I plan on line-of-sight navigating with chart and hand-bearing compass close at hand when/if needed. The handheld GPS with pre-loaded waypoints of my cruising grounds is for navigational assistance only if I'm in fog or hopelessly lost.
Old 06-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

If you have not done so already, take a coastal navigation class, such as, ASA 105. I would say the knowledge gained in this class is more important than a chart plotter.
Old 06-19-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I have not taken the class, but have studied the course textbook (and others) extensively and understand the principles. All I'm looking to do is sail the same way they did 40 years ago, looking out over the bow instead of looking at an LCD screen. (Remember the Valu-Jet crash where the pilots were so distracted by instrument problems they flew the plane right into the ground?)

But... one would also be foolish not to avail oneself of the the safety margin afforded by modern developments.

Thanks all for your advice.