Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice Sought for minimalist coastal navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
Tempest... thanks, that appears to be my missing link and if I'd fired up the MapTech package before posting I'd have had my answer. Thanks again.

Henry, No problem. I've been meaning to test it myself, ever since garmin stopped supporting real time tracking in Mapsource, your post just gave me the incentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2012

klem is on a distinguished road

Sailing out of Salem, you should be good doing this. Salem sound has a lot of shallow water but the buoy coverage is excellent and they don't tend to move around. The places where the buoys move a lot tend to be the ones on the North side of Cape Ann like Annisquam, Essex Bay, Ipswich and Newburyport.
Old 06-19-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
I use OpenCPN for setting waypoints and then free program called "EasyGPS" (also free) that dumps the waypoints onto my 76, so I don't have to punch them in. That used to be a killer. So, I sit at home or work, set my waypoints (you will use routes once you see what OpenCPN can do) and then hook my 76 to computer at home or work, send the waypoints over using EasyGPS and then walk out the door to go sailing with only my 76s. Very nice and all I need. No computer on board. No chartplotter, other than the basic route screen on the 76, following a black line with no map on it. No PC on board. Works great. See you out there.
Greg
EasyGPS is great and it also easy to enter waypoints directly into the EasyGPS screen if you are not using OpenCPN or similar. But do make sure you are using the same degrees/minutes settings on EasyGPS and Garmin. My Garmin defaulted to hddd mm.mmm (which I prefer) while EasyGPS defaulted to hddd mm ss.s

I entered hddd mm.mmm waypoints into hddd mm ss.s fields and, once I realized, I had to change the setting in EasyGPS and then enter them all again (couldn't find an easy way to convert). I'm glad I decided to check them against the chart before I set out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.