Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats

As far as lobstermen & crabbers splashing their gear, remember that those pots are easily dragged. If the tide is high and line has not been added to compensate it can be light enough to drag in a current, or lets not forget vessels snagging them unknowingly and dragging them about. As a former lobsterman the last thing they want is to lose those pots. Sometimes it is a risk when placing them but sometimes dragging happens.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just wondering if crabbers consider having their lines caught around props and cut the cost of doing business?
I know a lot of commercial crabbers here in Puget Sound. They do lose a lot of gear and it's not uncommon that they run over their own gear or the gear of a neighboring crabber. They typically grab their buoy and hook it in their power block and then just let the boat turn circles while they tail the line, sort crabs and re-bait the pots. No one is driving during this minute or two, the boat just circles which puts their neighbor's gear at risk. It's not uncommon to see a crabber lying on the swim step clearing a fouled prop. The commercial guys at least use a leaded line. The darn recreational guys will often use a floating line. That's just a hazard.

I carry a shorty wetsuit and snorkel gear on the boat in case I ever have to clear a line on my boat. I hope I never have to use it because the waters here are too cold to use a shorty comfortably, but I think I could do it if I had to. I never want to find out though.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 06-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Just wondering if crabbers consider having their lines caught around props and cut the cost of doing business?
Boy, I don't know, but it certainly seems logical that they factor that in.

Old 06-21-2012

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Sail drive and a folding prop. We'll see.
Old 06-21-2012
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road

I've seen a few boat while shopping that have installed cages around prop/shaft. Not sure how well they work to avoid lines.

I've run over a few lobster floats so far, but haven't become fouled on one yet. Then again, I haven't sailed anything with an inboard yet either....
Old 06-21-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to think of a mechanism that would work to drop a pot with a submerged float that sits 7' below the surface, perhaps with a 10# monofilament leader and a bobber to the surface. Then you'd pick it up with some kind of a rake assembly. The crabbers would lose fewer pots, and the boaters would lose fewer props.
Old 06-22-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

DM- I have actually worked on boats that have those. They may work they may not. When the line DOES get fouled its a real hassel. Since theres no room to get a knife or blade in there to work. Therefore it needs to be removed before working which ups my time and ups my pay.Good for me bad for the owner.
Old 06-22-2012

klem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcMaine View Post
I've seen a few boat while shopping that have installed cages around prop/shaft. Not sure how well they work to avoid lines.

I've run over a few lobster floats so far, but haven't become fouled on one yet. Then again, I haven't sailed anything with an inboard yet either....
As DivingOtter said, cages can be a nightmare. Very few are closed on the aft end so they are still susceptible in reverse. I have seen the whole works bent up more than once with the actual buoy inside the cage.

In Maine, I think that a lot of buoys could be saved if they put their toggles much closer to the pickup buoy, like 4' not 30'. They would be slightly harder to pick up but you wouldn't be forced to run between the buoys and toggles. A timed release of the buoy could be cool. The low tech way of doing this is bags of salt but that would be a whole lot of salt.
Old 06-22-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post

In Maine, I think that a lot of buoys could be saved if they put their toggles much closer to the pickup buoy, like 4' not 30'. They would be slightly harder to pick up but you wouldn't be forced to run between the buoys and toggles. A timed release of the buoy could be cool. The low tech way of doing this is bags of salt but that would be a whole lot of salt.
In Maine we'd be better if they just stopped using the useless toggles all together. They serve NO PURPOSE other than "my grandfathers, grandfather used them, so I do too." Toggles are a completely and utterly useless float that only INCREASES lost gear. Some guys are smartening up others are still stupid is as stupid does... Toggles are getting less and less used and are now only really used East of the Muscle ridge with a few stragglers left in Muscongus..

It would be nice to have a state ban on them but no legislator wants to take on the lobstermen as they are the last cowboys and someone would get their house burned down.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-23-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

fangjangler and davidpm like this.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.