Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: USCG 2011 Boating Statistics

If you go into the detailed tables in the accident report, you can get a few morsels of info about sailboats. The best I can get out of that is this is that sailors need to stay on board.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
This is counter-intuitive. How could training NOT improve safety? Presumably to get a license you'd have to do be trained to a certain level.

Next time you fly with an airline, why don't you have one of those untrained, unlicensed pilots fly the plane. I'm sure they'll figure it out on the way, no problem. According to your argument, the entire FAA is just there to empty pilot's wallets.

Nice summation! Tea Party 101. I've always thought that some level of tax, title, license bought a certain amount of civilization. Guess I'm a commie after all.
Old 06-24-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Nice summation! Tea Party 101. I've always thought that some level of tax, title, license bought a certain amount of civilization. Guess I'm a commie after all.
I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., quoted by Felix Frankfurter, The Atlantic Monthly, October 1938
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-26-2012
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Yeah....that's what I want.....more government intervention in my life . Guess what.....I don't look to the government to instill safe practices in me or even be responsible for my safety . To the guy that equated it with flying with untrained pilots , I suggest you acquaint yourself with the seven universally recognized logic errors . And if you can't connect up dots any better then that maybe you should avoid boats as well.....just sayin
Old 06-26-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Erm OK, guess you've definitely won that argument.
Old 06-26-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
Yeah....that's what I want.....more government intervention in my life . Guess what.....I don't look to the government to instill safe practices in me or even be responsible for my safety . To the guy that equated it with flying with untrained pilots , I suggest you acquaint yourself with the seven universally recognized logic errors . And if you can't connect up dots any better then that maybe you should avoid boats as well.....just sayin
Hate to say it, but that statement is nothing more than a "sweeping gerneralization falacy" Government has institutionalized safe handling practices in almost every human endeavor and those practices have been instilled into your psyche at school, at home and at work and in every product in the marketplace. From the toilet to the daily commute, governments have instilled safety practices from which you benefit.
As regards boating education, training and licensing, governments and NGAs have done much good. Even the Coast Guard publishing of accident statistics works to our benefit. Knowledge is power after all. My critique focused on do nothing programs that create the facade of reducing accidents and are not sufficiently comprehensive to accomplish the goal. Pilot education, training and licensing is pretty much a pinacle program of the Federal Government in this regard, and is closely equivalent to the Coast Guard Captain's education, training and licensing program. But how do you expand and apply that kind of program to recreational boaters? There are many interest groups that will fight to the death to stop any such development.
So, I truly want the government to continue developing safety practices, to publish safety statistics and to enforce safety laws so that serious, motivated and interested parties can institutionalize safety practices at every level of our sport and life style. Just think about all the safety engineering that exists in a modern boat and crew and compare that to the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.
Just sayin....(whatever that means)