Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
SF Bay at it's best/worst yesterday

Just seemed to be an odd fluky day, for sea state and wind.

We went behind Treasure Island to the slot. We got about 1/4 mile across to Angel Island and turned back. A nasty chop, contrary current, and wind 22 gusting to 30 now and then.

So back to the south bay, and we decided to have a go at crossing the slot again, this time near Alcatraz. It was quite nice until we got behind Alcatraz and, wham, wind gusted to over 32 (not sure the exact speed as the wind indicator didn't have time to respond). That's the closest to a knockdown we've been, boat heeled to about 45-55 degrees.

At this point decided to go somewhere more sheltered, and headed west over to the SF shore and beam reached south all the way down to Hunters Point. This segment was the highlight - 7.5 knots and smooth water all the way.

Back home and I've never seen such a nasty sea state near to the Alameda Estuary entrance. A very confused chop and gusty winds making it hard to steer. Particularly so for the Catalina 31 behind us who was doing a good impression of a plane with it's tail shot off.

Never been so glad to get back in the slip and have a cup of tea.

What was going on with the sea state? High tide was 2pm. But the worst conditions seemed to be around high tide and for a couple of hours after. Simply wind strength vs. time? There seemed to be some interaction with the current but contrary to my understanding.
Old 07-05-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Re: SF Bay at it's best/worst yesterday

Seems like a pretty normal summer day on the Bay. Wind amplies, and remember that current doesn't change uniformly. You also might have found some nice rips as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012

br3nt is on a distinguished road
South of there was a bit fluky on the 4th. Up until high tide it was quiet then heading back to Coyote Pt from Hunters Pt all the sudden it kicked right up. According to the charts it went from about 5-7 and flat at the airport to 18-20 with a lot of chop. After a few minutes of 18-20 the wind died down so much near SFO that we motored in. It was a no wind - little wind - good wind - lotta wind - little wind day. Rarely a dull moment.
Old 07-07-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Been a long time since I was on the Bay. IIRC, your desceiption was "business as usual" for summer time conditions, all or more wind than you want, and nasty steep high chop. We sailed out of Sausalito and just about anywhere we went presented an "uphill" trip home. In the summer we reefed before we left the slip.

Paul T
Old 07-08-2012
Yarr!

Sailmon is on a distinguished road

I was in Emery Cove plugging away on my varnish. I heard several reports of harrowing experiences on the bay that day. The guy next to me in a Catalina 38 came back with his hair standing on end and he's done quite a bit of cruising. "I've never seen it so bad" he said. We all know it gets worse but i hear the chute was ripping!
Old 07-08-2012

Ahhhh, I feel vindicated!
Old 07-08-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

At least ya don't have to deal with eight foot standing waves like we do here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2012

Ahh yes, that is something to be grateful for! Well I know how lucky I am to live next to SF Bay, even if she isn't always in the best of moods
Old 07-10-2012
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a typical summer day on the bay to me! For years I taught sea kayaking out of Sausalito and made daily runs to Angel Island and longer runs around Alcatraz. On my own time out under the Gate and such. Now I've lived around the Salish Sea for a long time but other than the Straits of Juan de Fuca itself, I've never seen rough water here like in the throat of the Bay. So much of our water here is protected, which is one of the magical things about it, and our wind is benign much of the year.

Charlie is right about the 8 foot standing waves near tidal rips like Deception Pass, but that is small compared to what I've seen under the Golden Gate Bridge!!!

Scariest time I've had in a boat was in a Coronado 22 on a beautiful summer day on the Bay, while it was blowing snot against an ebb and all hell was breaking loose around Alcatraz. Absolutely white knuckle terrifying, but lived to tell the tale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Mark, we were out the last couple of weekends and our experience was the same – The Bay was in all its glory. Last weekend, all the winds south of the Bay Bridge seemed to be concentrated at the entrance to the Estuary which I attributed to that big high moving slightly westward. This was a more typical wind pattern for mid winter, with the exception that the wind machine in the slot was opened full throttle. There had also been some exceptional large tidal fluctuations and their resulting currents made the usual tidal rips that more strong and exciting.

A couple of weekends ago during the HDA-2 race we came close to broaching a couple of times in the big rip zone just to the east of the Golden Gate. I think we were the only boat in our division not to wipe out there and we hung on to sail at 10+ kts all the way to Red #2 (not bad for a 47 year old Cal 40!) Years, years ago I had the distinct displeasure of sailing my little 22 for twenty minutes to get from the west to the east end of the South Tower’s bridge pier. It didn’t matter that I had near twenty kts of wind behind me when my boat was battling against a 4-5 kt ebb current. Good times.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.