Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore Checklist

Thanks Chiquita. I start these things in order to get a discussion going that will help others and myself by combining the collective experience of people on this board. There is a ton of knowledge here and many people willing to add to the knowledge base. Disagreement leads to a dialogue. When people respond negatively just to start an argument, it is usually detected by this group for what it is. It's really all about learning more about sailing with a good dose of entertainment thrown in and often some good humor.
Old 07-11-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I agree with smurphny. Disagreement and civil discourse can go well together. That is quite different from those who choose to argue for the sake of argument itself.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Well said, I could not agree more. [are you back in Moreton Bay ?]

My 2c are to really learn to know your boat, minimalise clutter and obtain the 'mind set' of looking after yourself and your boat first, second and third.
Not down Brizzy way, its to cold. At the moment we are at the Low Isles, Port Douglas.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 07-11-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Not down Brizzy way, its to cold. At the moment we are at the Low Isles, Port Douglas.

I'm not jealous at all.
Sydney is cold, wet, dark and well Sydney.

Who would want to be anchored off a coral cay anyway.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 07-12-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore Checklist--Companionway Drop Boards

Something I have not seen mentioned is the need to have a reliable manner of securing the companionway drop-boards in the event of a knock-down, or capsize/roll-over during bad weather. In the Fastnet ('79) a significant number of yachts that were knocked down or capsized lost unsecured drop-boards that "fell out" and allowed major flooding even though the boats quickly re-righted themselves. Our drop-boards are heavy 3/4" in. thick teak plywood. To secure them we use 1/2" shock cord that attaches to pad-eyes on either side of the base of the companionway and can be pulled over hooks on the interior sides of the boards. The cord is strong enough to prevent the boards from dropping out under their own weight, but not so tight that one cannot free them reasonably easily. When off-shore, we generally keep the lower drop board in place, and secured, against the possibility of an errant wave coming aboard, which has happened from time to time. In the night, we always have both boards in place, and secured, although the hatch cover, under the dodger, may be left open for air circulation.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-12-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore Checklist--Companionway Drop Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Something I have not seen mentioned is the need to have a reliable manner of securing the companionway drop-boards in the event of a knock-down, or capsize/roll-over during bad weather. In the Fastnet ('79) a significant number of yachts that were knocked down or capsized lost unsecured drop-boards that "fell out" and allowed major flooding even though the boats quickly re-righted themselves. Our drop-boards are heavy 3/4" in. thick teak plywood. To secure them we use 1/2" shock cord that attaches to pad-eyes on either side of the base of the companionway and can be pulled over hooks on the interior sides of the boards. The cord is strong enough to prevent the boards from dropping out under their own weight, but not so tight that one cannot free them reasonably easily. When off-shore, we generally keep the lower drop board in place, and secured, against the possibility of an errant wave coming aboard, which has happened from time to time. In the night, we always have both boards in place, and secured, although the hatch cover, under the dodger, may be left open for air circulation.

FWIW...
I do the same, keeping the bottom of three drop boards in. Even if the cockpit area were to fill, it would keep most of the water from running into the boat. And, yes I have also had an occasional weird wave break into the cockpit. Never filled up to the boards, but it is definitely possible. The bungee idea seems like a good one. Might be worth mentioning that there is a much larger danger of losing them/it in boats with tapered drop boards which come right out as soon as they are lifted a couple of inches. If a boat has this type, it would be even more important to devise some way to assure it can't escape. One suggestion above is to have a second emergency hatch. It probably is a good idea to have backups for any hatch/portlight/dorade, etc. One thing I left off the original list is the dorade vent plugs.
I have pieces of plywood for all openings, including sidelights. They have long carriage bolts/wing nuts with wood blocks to span/catch on the back side, all pre-drilled and ready to go.
Old 07-12-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Along the same lines as the hatch boards are cockpit locker lids. The issue is down-flooding and how to make sure the boat is tight. If you are inverted, or in a 90'+ knockdown, will you cockpit lockers open up and flood the boat? There are some books (one of John Vigor's books comes to mind) that have good discussions of modifications and (more importantly?) ways to think about preparing your boat for offshore conditions and risks.