SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Offshore Checklist

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  blowinstink 
#1 ·
Here's a checklist I put together a couple of years ago to use before setting out away from shore. Any additions or comments welcome.

OFFSHORE CHECKLIST

Trysail rigged w/ sheets/ready
Storm jib rigged w/ sheets and ready
Floorboards screwed down
Life raft up on deck and secured
Ditch bag stocked (see separate list) just inside hatch
Pail on deck
Jacklines checked and ready
Everything secured down below
Sea anchor accessible, rigged, and ready
Solar panels on mount and plugged in
All hatches/ports closed and tight
Emergency porthole boards accessible and ready
Companionway boards in
Companionway cloth on
Lee cloth on
Normal on-deck stuff up (print charts, food, coffee, GPS, harness, jacket, water, food, clothes, raingear, binocs., etc.)
*see separate list*
Batteries on "HOUSE" only.
Manual pump check, handles accessible
Winch handles up
Elec. pump check
Water check
Fuel check
Rigging check
Anchor stowed
RIB deflated and stowed

See less See more
#2 ·
Thought I had replied to your message but somehow it did not get posted. Perhaps this should be in the general or cruising sections since seamanship seems to get ignored (here and in real life!).

A few comments came to mind. There is not something called 'offshore' since there are variations on the theme. The preps I will make to go to Indonesia in a few weeks (430 nm at around 10°S) are quite different than will be the case when we go from Bali to Mauritius (3000 nm and getting down to around 30°S. For the latter I will have the trysail and a staysail ready to go (it is not much larger than the storm jib) on deck but these will be in the locker for the Indonesia crossing as the biggest problem is likely too little wind. Tropical sun is very hard on everything so why add to the wear and tear. Same thoughts about the sea anchor. We have not used sea anchor, trysail, or storm jib yet, but can if needed, but don't have them on deck.

Other thoughts - you will be in and out of cabin constantly in 90%+ of the conditions you will get so you don't really need to have everything on deck and seal away the interior. Take stuff in and out as you need.

Not sure what you mean by anchor stowed? You do not want to have it inaccessible, especially if you are going to be anchoring where you are going. Conditions outside that anchorage likely will make it very hard.impossible to rig the anchor while it may be too crowded to do so in the anchorage. Our main anchor lives on the roller and is tied down well there.

I would not be happy having the floorboards screwed down since you may have to go under them for routine or emergency reasons. We have a shock cord system that keeps them under control but still removable. BTW, when we were knocked down, the boards were not tied down and did not move. Will have them tied down going to South Africa though.

Not sure what the pail is for? Strikes me as just something else to get in the way.

#3 ·
Since I sail single-handed almost all the time, having things in the cockpit is the only option. Often there is no way to get below to retrieve anything until/if I can get the windvane set. You can imagine why the bucket is on deck:) The anchor would only be stowed below if doing a major crossing. I think getting it out of the way is a good idea so that there is no possibility of it breaking loose and to clear the foredeck to use the sea anchor if necessary. Great idea about the bungee cords on hatches! Think I will do that instead of using the screws. You're absolutely right about it not being the best idea to cut off quick access to the bilge. It has always bothered me to screw them down but I have so much stuff down there that keeping it from getting out and flying around in a knockdown has been the priority. Items on the list can surely be adjusted depending on how far "offshore." I guess my idea of offshore is anywhere out of sight of land where you will be out over night(s). Killarney_sailor, if you use a SSB/Pactor/Sailmail, would be interested to know how your reception and transmission has been way out in the Pacific.

Reactions: AKA44
#13 ·
I am not the one to comment on Pactor. My SSB works fine and I can use the Pactor for weather faxes but no luck with Sailmail anywhere in spite of lots of expert advice. Still working on it.

My bungee setup is to have closed eyes into the bottom of the deck and a heavy cup hook thingy in the middle of the lift up part. Shock cord goes between the eyes and either goes through the hook or not depending on what you want.

I think you are expecting conditions to be much worse than they are. With a reliable steering vane you don't need a bucket on deck and most of the time the companionway is open.

I agree this is a useful discussion.

#4 ·
I had a look at your check list and found it a bit over the top,

OFFSHORE CHECKLIST

Trysail rigged w/ sheets/ready stowed but ready as it always is
Storm jib rigged w/ sheets and ready stowed but ready as it always is
Floorboards screwed down Not screwed but secure
Life raft up on deck and secured stowed but ready as it always is
Ditch bag stocked (see separate list) just inside hatch stowed in its usual place and ready as it always is
Pail on deck Bucket with fishing gear in cockpit
Jacklines checked and ready This is a given
Everything secured down below This is a given but stuff still moves
Sea anchor accessible, rigged, and ready stowed but ready as it always is
Solar panels on mount and plugged in If its not permanent it shouldn't be here
All hatches/ports closed and tight Given
Emergency porthole boards accessible and ready If you have them
Companionway boards in Why ?
Companionway cloth on stowed but ready as it always is
Lee cloth on Given
Normal on-deck stuff up (print charts, food, coffee, GPS, harness, jacket, water, food, clothes, raingear, binocs., etc.) Don't you have a cabin
*see separate list*
Batteries on "HOUSE" only. ?
Manual pump check, handles accessible As it always should be
Winch handles up
Elec. pump check
Water check
Fuel check
Rigging check
Anchor stowed leave it where it belongs on the bow but lashed
RIB deflated and stowed Given

#7 ·
[/COLOR]
I had a look at your check list and found it a bit over the top,

OFFSHORE CHECKLIST

Trysail rigged w/ sheets/ready stowed but ready as it always isI would like to have and try a trisail. If I had to guess the vast majority of offshore cruisers don't carry one these days. The Pardeys and others make a great case for one however. All who use them say you want to have a dedicated track on the mast
Storm jib rigged w/ sheets and ready much the same issue. With furling headsails, your storm jib is going to be an ATN. Rigged with sheets? I dunno how you do that. This is a sailing offshore list, not a prep for heavy wx once offshore list, right?stowed but ready as it always is
Floorboards screwed down Not screwed but secureI agree secure is probably the standard. Goes for battery boxes and everything else on the boat. Watch those crash test dummy boat vids on youtube
Life raft up on deck and secured stowed but ready as it always isI think there is a good case to be made that your life raft ought to be stored off-deck. that is a different discussion. Mine is currently on deck, but I may move it so it is more easily accessible from the cockpit, less vulnerable to boarding waves and "where I want it when I need it"
Ditch bag stocked (see separate list) just inside hatch stowed in its usual place and ready as it always is
Pail on deck Bucket with fishing gear in cockpitdon't understand this?
Jacklines checked and ready This is a given
Everything secured down below This is a given but stuff still moves
Sea anchor accessible, rigged, and ready stowed but ready as it always isAgain, this is the Pardeys' territory. Make sure you know how to use that equipment if you have it high on your "go to" list ICE
Solar panels on mount and plugged in If its not permanent it shouldn't be hereEvereything on deck has to be secure and in a place where it won't be a liability to the security of the boat and rig . . . doger, bimini, panels, jugs of fuel, dinghy, extra ground tackle, etc
All hatches/ports closed and tight Givenadd duck tape where sheets can engage hatches - tape down hawse pipes etc
Emergency porthole boards accessible and ready If you have themadd have a second set of companionway boards or something to suffice as a second set - on my "to do" list
Companionway boards in Why ?
Companionway cloth on stowed but ready as it always is
Lee cloth on Given
Normal on-deck stuff up (print charts, food, coffee, GPS, harness, jacket, water, food, clothes, raingear, binocs., etc.) Don't you have a cabin not sure what is offshore about this? I have a "go bag" that has all the sailing stuff that comes to the cockpit whenever I move. Charts I make extra effort to protect offshore
*see separate list*
Batteries on "HOUSE" only. ??
Manual pump check, handles accessible As it always should be
Winch handles up
Elec. pump check
Water check
Fuel check
Rigging check
Anchor stowed leave it where it belongs on the bow but lashedI don't take my anchor off the bow - when I need it, I want it there. I don't even lash it down until I am safely offshore
RIB deflated and stowed Given
dinks dictate where they go - unfortunate reality

I'd add check your spares list; do what your boat requires to manage through hulls and potential syphons; check batteries for ditch bag and emergency items; float plan / notify ICE contact; it seems like there is a lot more, but I tend to work from trip specific lists. Overall, I don't think your list is over the top, but maybe focused a little differently than I would. That's a little sloppy, but most of my comments are in blue above. -) Matt

#5 ·
Hey smurphny, Thanks for your insight on your offshore checklist....not everyone who participates in these forums has had the opportunity to sail offshore. They "glean" whatever they can from those of us that do have specific knowledge to share. SimonV, I agree with you to an extent about the checklist being a bit excessive, but in fairness, singlehanding has it's own set of rules of engagement, so to speak.

#6 ·
Simon, the nature of a checklist is to double-check that, as you say, the things that are "ready as always," are in fact ready. It's the same as on an aircraft: you know things are ready but you check them anyway. Without a checklist, it is almost a given that something essential will be forgotten. You shouldn't have to ask, going offshore why the companionway should be closed with at least enough boards in so the wave that surprises you and rolls into the cockpit does not get below but can exit through scuppers. Some may find checklists like this over the top but I do not. We'll just have to disagree about getting the anchor out of the way, and the hawser pipe closed off.

#9 ·
Sheets inspected and led properly
Spare lube oil
Shaft lubed
Gas for stove
Outbgoard fuel, securely tightened down
Test instrumernts and radio
Weather forecast
Time of HW and LW
Chart on board, Track on chart for departure
Cell phone, ID, wallet properly stowed
Cruise plan left with someone, USCG other authotity
Engine, belts OK, strainer clear, operating normally after starting
Crew instructed on
Lifejackets, harnesses, liferaft, fire extinguishers, man overboard, flares, how to make VHF emergency call, location of thru hull vlaves, reefing arrangement.
Advised of ang med conditions meds on board

#11 ·
No one has mentioned emergency supply of water? I also like to carry a PLB whenever I leave sight of land. A separate hand bearing compass is nice. Rigging knife and extra line is a must. Handheld VHF and GPS in pocket at night in case I go over and have to cut loose from the tether.

#16 ·
My trysail is made from 9 oz., triple stitched nylon with huge corner patches. I sewed it up from a kit from Sailrite. The idea, to me, is to get the center of effort way below that of any of the other sails. I've used it to test it out but never had to use it in a storm yet. With my "tender" hull design, keeping it from heeling too far and getting the resultant weather helm is most important for maintaining good control when the wind pipes up. Just by chance, my liferaft fits snugly down in front of the pedestal where it gets tied in. It significantly displaces a lot of potential water weight and is accessible at a moment's notice. I don't have a dedicated storm jib but use a 100% working jib right on the furler that is 8-9oz. and can be rolled up very small. Agree that ATN type sails seem to be a bad idea. One of the things on my to-do list is to put a mast hound on with running backstays and build a small jib with integral Dyneema halyard that can be hoisted right from the cockpit.

Keeping a lot of stuff on deck IS a PITA but singlehanded, it really is impossible to go looking for stuff sometimes. Looking at that PBJ sitting down there just out of reach when you need to keep both hands on the wheel in a following sea is a real TRAGEDY:) I have one of those milkbox-type containers that keeps it in one place.

For normal anchor-anchor day sailing, I have a list of stuff to get up on deck pasted right next to the companionway. Things like charts, binoculars, compasses, etc. are on that.

A little off topic but one thing that might be helpful to other singlehanders is a little gimballed propane stove. I have a mount right on the pedestal so I can make hot coffee without having to get below. It works pretty well as long as the wind is not too strong. Thermos bottles just don't keep coffee hot for very long.

For offshore, a good idea is a watermaker. I got a surplus manual unit that is one of the things that goes in the ditch bag along with a small jug of water. One thing I've also thought about is filling up some soda bottles with water and putting them right in the main tank. I don't have a split tank and worry about losing all the water from the main tank. I also keep three 5 gallon drinking water containers, lashed down. Running out of water is one of the scariest things to me.

Killarney, that's interesting about your SSB. What kind of counterpoise do you have? Have heard that the counterpoise is the key. I ran 4" copper through the hull, picking up every metal part I could. It seems to work well. I can pick up stations 1500 miles away and use them to transmit/receive over Sailmail. I don't have a Ham license to use Winlink but the Sailmail seems to work well. If I get to head across the Pacific, will be depending on it.

#18 ·
Keeping a lot of stuff on deck IS a PITA but singlehanded, it really is impossible to go looking for stuff sometimes. Looking at that PBJ sitting down there just out of reach when you need to keep both hands on the wheel in a following sea is a real TRAGEDY:) I have one of those milkbox-type containers that keeps it in one place.
Needing to keep both hands on the wheel and unable to go down below even to grab a sandwich suggests a problem with self steering systems. Either windvane or an AP that can handle significant following seas would be a must, IMO.

#17 ·
Isn't funny how there is always one or more folks need to degrade another for some reason. Would it be more human to say "thanks for your insight and input ". Next, here is MY list and what myself and/or loved ones use when we go sailing. I believe he is sharing his personal insight on what he uses and what works for him. This is not written in stone and is not forcing anyone to abide by his checklist.
Maybe in post your personal or professional checklist for us to read and share with our community for our safety and future benefit.
Thank you all for your personal input and shared experiences.
Hope you all have an awesome day !!!

#21 ·
Thanks Chiquita. I start these things in order to get a discussion going that will help others and myself by combining the collective experience of people on this board. There is a ton of knowledge here and many people willing to add to the knowledge base. Disagreement leads to a dialogue. When people respond negatively just to start an argument, it is usually detected by this group for what it is. It's really all about learning more about sailing with a good dose of entertainment thrown in and often some good humor.

#25 ·
Re: Offshore Checklist--Companionway Drop Boards

Something I have not seen mentioned is the need to have a reliable manner of securing the companionway drop-boards in the event of a knock-down, or capsize/roll-over during bad weather. In the Fastnet ('79) a significant number of yachts that were knocked down or capsized lost unsecured drop-boards that "fell out" and allowed major flooding even though the boats quickly re-righted themselves. Our drop-boards are heavy 3/4" in. thick teak plywood. To secure them we use 1/2" shock cord that attaches to pad-eyes on either side of the base of the companionway and can be pulled over hooks on the interior sides of the boards. The cord is strong enough to prevent the boards from dropping out under their own weight, but not so tight that one cannot free them reasonably easily. When off-shore, we generally keep the lower drop board in place, and secured, against the possibility of an errant wave coming aboard, which has happened from time to time. In the night, we always have both boards in place, and secured, although the hatch cover, under the dodger, may be left open for air circulation.

FWIW...

#26 ·
Re: Offshore Checklist--Companionway Drop Boards

Something I have not seen mentioned is the need to have a reliable manner of securing the companionway drop-boards in the event of a knock-down, or capsize/roll-over during bad weather. In the Fastnet ('79) a significant number of yachts that were knocked down or capsized lost unsecured drop-boards that "fell out" and allowed major flooding even though the boats quickly re-righted themselves. Our drop-boards are heavy 3/4" in. thick teak plywood. To secure them we use 1/2" shock cord that attaches to pad-eyes on either side of the base of the companionway and can be pulled over hooks on the interior sides of the boards. The cord is strong enough to prevent the boards from dropping out under their own weight, but not so tight that one cannot free them reasonably easily. When off-shore, we generally keep the lower drop board in place, and secured, against the possibility of an errant wave coming aboard, which has happened from time to time. In the night, we always have both boards in place, and secured, although the hatch cover, under the dodger, may be left open for air circulation.

FWIW...
I do the same, keeping the bottom of three drop boards in. Even if the cockpit area were to fill, it would keep most of the water from running into the boat. And, yes I have also had an occasional weird wave break into the cockpit. Never filled up to the boards, but it is definitely possible. The bungee idea seems like a good one. Might be worth mentioning that there is a much larger danger of losing them/it in boats with tapered drop boards which come right out as soon as they are lifted a couple of inches. If a boat has this type, it would be even more important to devise some way to assure it can't escape. One suggestion above is to have a second emergency hatch. It probably is a good idea to have backups for any hatch/portlight/dorade, etc. One thing I left off the original list is the dorade vent plugs.
I have pieces of plywood for all openings, including sidelights. They have long carriage bolts/wing nuts with wood blocks to span/catch on the back side, all pre-drilled and ready to go.

#27 ·
Along the same lines as the hatch boards are cockpit locker lids. The issue is down-flooding and how to make sure the boat is tight. If you are inverted, or in a 90'+ knockdown, will you cockpit lockers open up and flood the boat? There are some books (one of John Vigor's books comes to mind) that have good discussions of modifications and (more importantly?) ways to think about preparing your boat for offshore conditions and risks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.