Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I know when I sail in and drop my big ass anchor and heavy chain I'm doing the right thing. Working in the commercial side of boating I see a lot of force and see big things snap. I've been anchored out for well over 20 years and pretty much the whole time. True, I have'nt read a lot of what other people do, Haven't had to. I've been using big ground tackle and it's been working great. I have a nice selection of anchors for pretty much all conditions. Yall think I should study up on anchoring so what, I can start using dinky sh!t. If the metal on a chain link is smaller then my pinky finger, it's to small. Not just for it's working load strength, but the ability to hold it in my hand, and weight. I guess we are beating a dead horse at this point, You guy's go on and use what you learned in the book and I'll keep using what is probably overkill, but that's the point, leaving the boat on the hook to explore the area your cruising for a day or two and not having to wonder, but knowing you are more than prepaired for what ever mother nature dish's out. The live aboard anchorage in my area is huge and year round, seen a lot dragging and snapping and a lot of "Well the book said it was big enough'" but on the 14th day of back to back northers, gear is in a different state of fatigue. Things start to happen. Sh!t starts breaking and boats hit the bank.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-30-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Capt.arron, I was wondering if you could take a couple of photos of your gear? (Preferabley in "action".) I'm having a hard time imagining how you manage all that gear on a 28 foot boat. I'm especially interested in how you keep your bow and forepeak organized. Like they say, one picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

certainly, I'm on a tug boat now but I'll be home this week. It's not a lot, The chain sit's in my Chain locker, 100 feet of 5/8, it has a devider and on the other side is 30 feet of 3/8 and 100 feet of 1/2 inch line. The 35 danforth sit's nicely on the bow roller and the Big CQR sits on the Danforth like it was made for it. My big boy anchor s in the aft laz sitiing low and comfy, and I have a northill in my starboard cockpit laz and on the other side a folding fisherman in a bag. I'm inspired to make a video of how things look and work on deck and below the water. I usaully use the CQR and the chain. set it and forget it. Drop and let it feed out. EZPZ. The divider is set up in a way that a good amount of the 5/8 is under the 3/8 set up.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-30-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing we are also discussing a permanent type anchor system vs temporary as most of us use our anchoring system as, IE less than 24-48 hrs vs 24/7 for how long?

Reality is, if you boat is anchored in what most of us would call a permanent place, one needs a different setup for ea. I personally see and saw the difference when setting bouy's for permanent anchor setups, then again, the anchor itself was different shape size etc also. A 250 lb mushroom makes a great permanent anchor once dug into the soil vs say a danforth or Gregs Mantus. Frankly, I really doubt the mantus was ment to me in one place for a long time, ie more than say 30 days a stretch! much less 48 hrs.

At the end of the day, we need something that is reasonably light, strong in such a way that our boat does not drag, etc. What you have would hold a freaken tank! I'm having a hard time imagining that setup unless hooked to 200-400+ lbs of blob concrete, or mushroom with a bouy at the surface, with max a 2-1 scope/depth ratio with some extra for wave height. IF I DID DO a mantus for a permanent system, I would probably have 3-5 of them in equal distance around in a circle, so I was pulling on two of them at any angle to the bouy, with some kind of shackle such that the main anchor chains did not cross up. Hence where I might actually use a Bruce/claw as this is the actual design usage but for oil rigs!

I have to admit, your anchor system to me any how, is ANYTHING but permanent in nature. It is not going to be used by someone floating about, here and there etc.

marty
Old 07-30-2012

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I don't have an engine so motoring out of situations isn't an option, and often sailing out isn't a good option but I do always anchor with sailing out in mind of course.
Can you describe anchoring without a motor, or point me to an article that describes it? I've only been sailing three years, and rarely use the outboards on our club boats (J/22s). I've sailed in/out of the marina and slips; though if it's busy I will have the motor on and idling when I come just in case - not pressing my luck with only three years of experience and a few dozen powerboats fueled by cheap beer and testosterone.

I've thought about anchoring without a motor - I took sailing lessons because I like thing that move without motors. Do you lower from the bow and then let the main in/out to control your speed as the boat swings around? How would you set two anchors under sail?
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Listen, I sail all over the Caribbean with my 100' of 5/8 chain and my 48.9 pound CQR. I sail into what ever anchorage, point into the wind and stall, drop the CQR., lower the main and let the wind take me as I let out the chain, take a turn on my cleat, and done, boat sit's there and I'm anchored, the links on the chain are big enough for me to use some decent sized 3 strand as shock absorber so I put about a 3 foot snubber or what ever. When I leave I raise the sail. pick up the chain as I sail up on it, when I pass a certain point I take turn, which causes me to tack and continue pulling in the chain, anchor comes up, raise the jib and I'm off. It's the easiest thing in the world. I do it, and have been doing since 1989, before that I had a couple of 35 pound danforths with 30 feet of 3/8 and some 1/2 inch line as primary's. I'm a Merchant Marine and I like big ground tackle, My permanent system is made up of 2 150 pound home made anchors. I leave my boat anchored on them in a creek with a hard bottom in Key West 2 week's at a time while I'm at sea. When I'm cruising, I don't drag, it doesn't happen, ever. My boat is as secure as it can possibly be, I can leave the boat. One time in '92 I ran low on funds, left the boat anchored in Belize for a month on my system to fly to Miami and work a little saved up a grand and went back. Not worried about chafe, dragging, nothing. I've rarley met people who be-bop around as much as I do with no engine and a big ass anchor, so no it's not, and yes it is a pemanent system, it's a permanent system that travels well.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-31-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

As for setting 2 anchors, Sail off in the direction I want the second anchor and drop it when I'm there , or set it from the dink, either way, pends on the conditions and my mood.
Old 07-31-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I know when I sail in and drop my big ass anchor and heavy chain I'm doing the right thing.
You're free to believe whatever you want. You obviously didn't start this thread in an attempt to learn anything, but simply so you could tell everyone how big your anchor is. Fine. You've done that.

I'm sure we're all very impressed with the size of your equipment.
SVAuspicious and cupper3 like this.
Old 07-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

No, I started in hopes that dudes cruising with little sh!t might say "Hey, maybe I'll upsize a little and prevent a future catastrophy." The ammount of boats I see on the banks and in the mangroves on a monthly basis is unexceptable really. It's such a problem in the key's that the law is coming down on all of us out there because periodicly boats are dragging in to power lines and up on to private property giving all the anchored boats a bad name. Unfortunatly, yall are free to anchor with what ever size you want.
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

If just one cruiser out of the over 2,000 that have veiwed this thread decides to get some bigger ground tackle, and one incident is avoided, and or one guy get's to camp on the valcano with his wife and leave his boat on the hook with out worrying about the squall that rolled in last night, Then it was worth it.
Andrew65 (07-01-2013)