Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
No offense, sorry to hurt feelings. A couple of points A. What is the force created by a 4 foot rolling wave in 40 knot's of wind while trying to sail out of a tight spot on a 9000 lb boat, when all the forces hit at that horrible perfect moment of impact?. 2. 1/4 doesn't have the weight to lessen the pull on the anchor. I can't say what quality chain the coast guard replaced my heavy chain with only that it was new and 1/4 inch. 3. When droppin in a hury, emergancy under way and out of control, the light anchor and chain won't sink quick enough. and how often do you recomend changing out the chain, " in rust we trust" corrosion happens and I want my 4 year old chain to still have plenty of strength even with a little wear, not be at it's threshold. I'm sure the mantus is a neat an innovative anchor and perfect for normal conditions for hand raising. But conditions go from normal to extreme when we least expect it. If there is a windless on board, than why use light, dainty, sensitve, just good enough most of the time, gear?
Apology accepted! as far as you points go...

I have no argument with your PERSONAL choice of gear nor your personal opinions on what is safe.

But in an emergency you want an anchor that sets right away and all the time... CQR is not really known for that. In a situation when you want you heavier chain bc it hypothetically "sinks faster", do you have the time to practice seamanship to set your CQR?

Take a look at this video:
Old 07-31-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I still don't understand why your tests don't show the difference between Rocna/Manson/Spade and the Delta and the CQR and Bruce that other tests and my personal experience indicate. If I saw the historical differences in your test I'd have more confidence in your product. I'm confused.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hey, I have another suggestion for SailNet. The OP should be able to close their own thread, if they choose.

Nothing new to see here. Posts are just taking sides now.

Capt.a I say put down all the metal you want. You're the captain of the vessel and what you say goes. That's the law. Same as on every other captain's boat.
miatapaul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-31-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, I started in hopes that dudes cruising with little sh!t might say "Hey, maybe I'll upsize a little and prevent a future catastrophy." The ammount of boats I see on the banks and in the mangroves on a monthly basis is unexceptable really..
I agree. When you anchor almost 365 days a year like I and Capt.aaron do it is depressing the number of boats you see drag. It's a lot.
I don't think many crusing sailors relize how common a problem this is, probably because they have perhaps a lot of sailing experience, but much of this has been getting back to marina when bad weather is forcast.

Many crusing boats you benifit enormously by going with larger and better quality gear.
Old 07-31-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I still don't understand why your tests don't show the difference between Rocna/Manson/Spade and the Delta and the CQR and Bruce that other tests and my personal experience indicate. If I saw the historical differences in your test I'd have more confidence in your product. I'm confused.
Dave, what we try to show is that Mantus is the best in its setting ability, to do this we go to find a bottom that is extremely difficult to penetrate to make the point. In most situations there will be good performance from the Rocna/Manson duo. Still there are bottoms this guys can't handle. We show this because if we want safety at anchor most of the time is not good enough.
Greg

PS: Dave, since these tangents are offending people, call me anytime or send me a private message, I will try to answer your questions
Old 07-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Mantus, I believe your anchor and my chain could very well be a good combo and I may try it out.
Auspicious, what can I say, it's the Yachty vs the Commercial guy as always, ( nice name by the way, good name for a boat.)
I didn't start this thread to show off my big equipment, but when fellow cruisers see it in
action there is a degree of "anchor envy"
As for closing the thread, I could talk about anchors a lot longer than this, I'm a sailor.
I'm at sea right now, wait till I get off this tug and can drink and type!
Old 07-31-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Hey, I have another suggestion for SailNet. The OP should be able to close their own thread, if they choose.

Nothing new to see here. Posts are just taking sides now.

Capt.a I say put down all the metal you want. You're the captain of the vessel and what you say goes. That's the law. Same as on every other captain's boat.
I see this all the time. Lots of times a question is answered to original poster's satisfaction and then it drifts off in some other direction.
Old 07-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You're free to believe whatever you want. You obviously didn't start this thread in an attempt to learn anything, but simply so you could tell everyone how big your anchor is. Fine. You've done that.

I'm sure we're all very impressed with the size of your equipment.
On the contrary I learned quite a bit, Most importantly that I want a 45 pound mantus now and thanks to the conversation I'm fixing to purchase one on-line. I also learned how sensitive some of you are about your little gear.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On the contrary I learned quite a bit, Most importantly that I want a 45 pound mantus now and thanks to the conversation I'm fixing to purchase one on-line. I also learned how sensitive some of you are about your little gear.
I think you find the change to modern anchor a big improvement. They set much more reliably in a large range of bottom types. A big, even massivly oversized, anchor will still drag if it does not set, or stay set with change of direction.

One word of warning these anchors set very abruptly. This can be felt setting the anchor and seen diving. The modern anchors set in about 1/10 of the distance of the old anchors. This translates to a rapid stop. Be careful setting them under sail, too much momentum will see a lot of force on your cleats / samson post particularly with an oversized anchor.
Old 08-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Thank's . I've used them on other peoples boats, Not the Mantus but the light Delta, on deliveries and what not. I'm still getting an over sized one and still like heavy gear. I'll be keeping my 5/8 chain. I belive the hype on the Mantus. I think it will reset like they say just by looking at it. I anchor very gently even under sail in high winds but I'll be even more carefull with this fast setting thing. The other thing I like about the Mantus is the price! I think these guy's are in the game for real. I may loose the danforth on the bow and get a small mantus ( the one they recomend for a 28 footer) and keep it stowed away in the laz as a quik deploy. My big boy storm anchor goes where I go and my folding fisherman is a piece of art. I started this thread in the hopes that people will upsize at least one weight class above the recomended to help the dragging epidemic. Your fair weather bay day sailor and summer cruiser who anchors less in 2 years than some of us do in the month of jan. and mostly go from yacht club to yacht club were'nt my target for the discussion but somehow those guy's found the most need to defend their setup's. Judging by how many people actually read the dialogue I bet there is one person out there that will buy some 3/8 chain before they take off to the Carribean or where ever and maybe some people will try out the Mantus. All in all it's a win win, I learned something about moderns and even more about a couple of the gentleman who post here. I stand by my mantra BIG GOOD BIGGER BETTER!

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.