Let's talk about anchors some more - Page 12 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 184 Old 08-01-2012

Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Got home tonight to my new Mantus anchor on the door step... Will begin using it this weekend.. Thanks Greg!!

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 184 Old 08-02-2012

I did buy a 5' chunk of 3/8 bbb the other day to put on my new 9lb Delta fast set, only because it was and end cut, cheap etc. At some point in time, I will upgrade teh 1/4 ht on my main anchor to 5/16HT, and 30-40' vs 15', maybe upgrade the 7.5 bruce to a 10kg or equal. These were in the cards/thoughts before this thread.

I hold a 6500 lb bobcat, 3000 lb trackhoe on a trailer with 1/4HT and 5/16HT chain, have for many years, many stops, starts, E stops etc, not broken links as of "yet" knock knock knock......... My boat is 6500 lbs too, so not sure that these types of starts and stops are much worst than a boat at anchor in a storm I will get into here in puget sound any how.

You may change someone who is heading to the the south seas per say. Then again, if I was, the anchors I have would probably be a bit different due to other reasons. I more chain length to deal with coral etc. A heavier/larger displacement anchor for a hurricane if one showed up. Figure it would, along with a larger chain potential, and a larger length diam rope for that time too. maybe even a way to hook up a large and two smaller anchors to help hold me if need be. Not sure I would go to 5/8 down to 3/8 then rode and a 50 some odd lb anchor for normal use. Storm/hurricane use, potentially. For normal weekend up to 40-50 knots. My boat is not much bigger/smaller size wise than Aarons. altho his is heavier, so it would need more weight/anchor surface for an equal wind, which should be accounted for, along with width, frontal surface area etc as to how heavy ones ground tackle should be.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #113 of 184 Old 08-02-2012
Banned

At the very least oversized might make up for bad technique or short scope etc.

I dont see how going heavy will hurt.
post #114 of 184 Old 08-02-2012 Thread Starter
KNOT KNOWN

It's relative. My big chain is huge to some, just right for me. I have squalls, northers, full moon tides, commercial boat wakes, freak waves from the south, all happening while I'm at sea on another boat and when I get home, guess who is sitting right where I left her, The Knot Known, my beefed up little tank of a sloop that my Grandfather left me. I can take corrosion, chafe, idiot prop hit's, which my neighbor informed me of today, and who know's what else. I like big chain, it's probably the main reason I still have her.

" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-02-2012 at 01:27 AM.
post #115 of 184 Old 08-02-2012 Thread Starter
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
At the very least oversized might make up for bad technique or short scope etc.

I dont see how going heavy will hurt.
It will only hurt your back if you don't handle it correctly, but that's why most of you have a windlass,

post #116 of 184 Old 08-02-2012

I like big chain and I cannot lie
You other sailors can't deny
When a boat drags down, really makes me frown
Makes me want to scream and shout
I like big chain

Capt A, I would anchor down wind of your boat any time. I like sleeping well at night.
post #117 of 184 Old 08-02-2012 Thread Starter
KNOT KNOWN

Thank you, And as a courtesy I would never anchor up wind of you, or too close (Unless you were the only boat in a really big, beautiful and secluded anchorage, then I would anchor two boat lengths up infront of you with my dinghy anchor which has 30 feet of 1/4 inch and 15 pound danforth. The guy at west marine said it should be fine. Then I would run my generator all night for the a.c. and microwave, (gotta have popcorn) The generator is quiet and I can barley hear it below !! And thank you because some rendition of that song was forming in my head all week but I could'nt get past the first verse!..... I like big chain da da da da da......

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.
post #118 of 184 Old 08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Got home tonight to my new Mantus anchor on the door step... Will begin using it this weekend.. Thanks Greg!!

Looking forward to your feedback on the Mantus

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #119 of 184 Old 08-02-2012
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Thank You Maine Sailor! Let me know what you think...
Greg

Anchor Purveyor
post #120 of 184 Old 08-03-2012

Got my Mantus on the boat. It went together fine except for the roll bar, which required a little muscle to get the holes lined up.

Greg ships these in a beautiful plywood box and the packaging was very good. It assembled easily.

It also fits in my anchor locker which was my primary concern as I don't leave my anchor on the roller when on a mooring. The fit is tighter than the ROcna but it fits.

The real deal will be how it performs but then again I have a 100% track record with my Rocna dn my Manson Supreme but why not try another one..

If you thought the Manson Supreme or Rocna were unsightly anchors the Mantus will take it up a notch, but who cares if it performs...

Rocna 33 & Mantus 35

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.