Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012

BrianFortress is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
No disrespect to the Fortress Team, I keep a FX-37 on my boat for a rainy day
I think in looser bottoms it is a clear winner.
Greg
Thanks! And be sure to permanently install the Mud Palms, as they will improve the setting performance by lifting the back end of the anchor up so that the flukes will take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom.

Best wishes for success with your product!

Sincerely,
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFortress View Post
I agree. E.S. "Mac" Maloney, 90+ years young and long time author of Chapman's, has used a CQR successfully for decades. Tom Neale, another noted boating author, has cruised and lived aboard since the late 70s, logging several thousand miles per year, and he has also used a CQR successfully during that time.

If I were to suggest to them that their CQR was a bad anchor because it performed poorly in a controlled anchor test with 5 or so pulls, then I suspect their response would be one of disbelief, and possibly even hysterical laughter.

I have heard similar accolades from Bruce owners as well.

Do the "new generation" anchors offer improved performance over the older models? I believe so, but those older models certainly have earned a loyal following over the years....even up to this day. I still see them mounted on the bows of many different types of boats by a vast majority at the shows.
I think Brian makes THE fundamental point. The availability of better anchors doesn't make older anchors less good. It simply gives those of us in the market for an anchor better performing alternatives.

I've spent a lot of nights hanging on a CQR or a Bruce and many many nights on a Delta. I'm much more comfortable now hanging on a Rocna. I'd be just as happy on a Spade or Raya. Although I haven't used one, I'd probably be just as content on a Mantus or Manson Supreme.

If I had a 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang I'd be content with the drum brakes. If I was buying a new vehicle I darn well would be sure to get four wheel disc brakes. CQR = drums; Rocna/Spade/Mantus/et al = disc brakes.
killarney_sailor likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
No disrespect to the Fortress Team, I keep a FX-37 on my boat for a rainy day
I think in looser bottoms it is a clear winner.
Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFortress View Post
Thanks! And be sure to permanently install the Mud Palms, as they will improve the setting performance by lifting the back end of the anchor up so that the flukes will take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom.

Best wishes for success with your product!

Sincerely,
Brian
Now for those of you that remember the ego filled competitor bashing ways of Rocna, THIS is what buyers like to see.

Congrats to both of you.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 08-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If I had a 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang I'd be content with the drum brakes.
Your post brought up a painful memory. I did have a 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang convertible, my first car. After I wrecked it, I think I got $40 for it from a salvage yard. Today it would be worth....

I still have the original hub caps...
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 08-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Now for those of you that remember the ego filled competitor bashing ways of Rocna, THIS is what buyers like to see.

Congrats to both of you.
cupper3,

Thank you! I have to say, that whole debacle was very out of the norm for us anchor manufacturers. I have met and regularly talk with the guys from Manson, Rocna (new team), Spade, and Ultra at the boat shows, and there is nothing but respect between us, as it should be.

I am sure that Greg's and my paths will cross one day soon at a boat show and I look forward to meeting him as well.
Old 08-05-2012
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

I love reading peoples take on anchors. So important! I have spent a lot of time researching the different types and have had the luxury over the past 4 years to observe and test from the Great Lakes to the Med, Africa, Canaries,and the length of the E.Caribbean.
First, if you use a CQR for anything other than a paper wt dump it!! It is the most popular really bad anchor ever invented. Only good thing about it is how nicely it hangs on the bow roller.
If you tend to stay in one area you can go with an anchor good for that bottom type but otherwise a solid all around is a must. Wt. really is more about penetrating weed, grass, and firm bottoms. Holding has little to do with wt. For example the Spade aluminum has the same holding power as the steel.

Bottom line, go as big as you are comfortable with. If you have a windlass carry as much chain as practical for the boat. Go with something like a Spade, Mason Supreme, Rocna, etc for primary anchor. Deltas still good anchor as well, I have one as a secondary along with a fortress secondary.

Great sailing all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Ok, I am going to try "disk" brakes vs. my old "drum" brakes. Just placed an order for a Mantus 35 lb. anchor....we'll see how it works out. I don't anchor out much, but the thought of anchor failing when I do is not good. I'm not abandoning the tried and true Bruce and Danforth types. I plan, initially, use the Mantus to supplement the others so that I more fully cover the range of bottoms I may encounter, and as a storm anchor. I debated getting a 45 lb. anchor, but at 73, I have to watch out for things that are too heavy. A few years earlier, I would have gone with the 45 lb. anchor just to be sure. I chose the Mantus because I can disassemble it and store it below. Fortress has this same capability, but I my case, I feel that I cover the range of bottoms more widely with this anchor given the anchors I already own.
Old 08-06-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
First, if you use a CQR for anything other than a paper wt dump it!!
I've seen a couple of really nice mailbox stands made from CQRs. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-06-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I thought of this thread this weekend, when anchored in a full bed of grass at Cuttyhunk. I put the 75lb CQR down and knew it wasn't set. I would back against it, go to zero SOG and then it would jump and back to zero again, etc. I was clearly getting hung up in weeds and then ripping them free and repeating.

We had just arrived from a 4 hour passage in 100 foot of visibility and were a bit shot, so I dropped about 100 feet of 1/2" chain in 10 feet of water and took a break. I would go back and reset later. With only about 10 of wind, I wasn't moving, despite not being set properly. People started filling in around me and having equal trouble setting. All gave each other plenty of room, for obvious reasons.

About 5 hours later, I checked the Ipad Anchor Watch app, which tracks your swing trail and you can visibly see if you're dragging. We hadn't moved an inch. Not one inch. So, with winds forecast to drop even further over night, I just stayed put.

The following morning, we had swung about 20 degrees on an arch (just as forecast winds suggested) and never dragged.

Perhaps this wasn't my best form, but I'm certain this only worked, due to the shear weight of the gear sitting at the bottom and the low wind. Would you say that the anchor and chain weigh roughly 900lbs?

Bigger just may be better after all.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-06-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

BIG GOOD BIGGER BETTER. There a vareity of anchors to carry for a variety of bottoms, and I'm looking forward to checking out the Mantus, but all of them should be on the smart end of some big ass chain!