Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Aaron,how do you lift hose dumbbells out of the bilge and over the gunwales? How do you get them back aboard?
Slowly and infrequently, A lot of sliding, grunting, cursing, And I use my legs, oh. and one at a time of course. Once they are on deck, I roll them to the bow. to get them up, I dive down, un shackle, tie a line and lift in a sitting postion useing my legs and the mechanical advantage of the bow roller.
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

I spend a great deal of time on the sea bottom with my anchors. every day. I know how,what and where they are sitting.. I set them by hand and if I don't like the bottom condition I move. I try to never anchor in deeper than 15 feet, and only use the sentinals when it's 30 feet, which is rare. Yes, I need a windless, but I will say' I'm strong from all the hauling but use more technique than brute strength.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
This thread was my salt fix for today
MedSailor likes this.
Old 07-23-2012

svHornblower is on a distinguished road

I think scope is more or just as important as weight. I coastal cruise and anchor for no more than 3 to 5 nights before moving on. My 25 lbs danforth is my primary. I have never dragged. I do pay close attention to the weather before heading out. That being said I plan on buying a Rocna or Manson this summer before I do more extensive cruising this fall.
Old 07-24-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

I take a good look at the weather as well. Out main anchor is a Delta fast set. Its unique shank profile and ballasted tip make the Delta anchor self-launching. The low centre of gravity and self-righting geometry ensure that the Delta anchor will set immediately. Consistent and reliable in performance, the Delta anchor has Lloyd's Register Type Approval as a High Holding Power anchor and is specified as the primary anchor used by numerous National Lifeboat organisations. Also available in premium grade Duplex/High Tensile stainless. DO YOU LIKE THE COPY AND PASTE???
Old 07-24-2012

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

Oh and by the the way why no motor Aaron??? What about an out board??
Old 07-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We have a 75 lb CQR with 200 feet of 1/2" chain on our 54ft - 20 ton. These anchors do not have good reputations for setting and I do believe that many never actually get them set, but just swing around the chain pile they laid on the ocean floor.

However, we do get ours set, almost always on the first attempt. I've wondered if the heavier CQRs set better than the lighter ones I've seen tested. What I don't trust, however, is that it would reset itself if we spun around 180 degrees in a good blow overnight. One of these days, I am going to upgrade to the newest generation anchors.

When we drop most of the chain, the weight of it all is probably similar to many mooring blocks. It must be pushing 1,000 lbs. Any wind under 10 or 12 knots and she just won't move, set or not. It is impressive to be anchored in 25 knots and see that chain stretched and think of the stress it takes, which I did see just a few weeks ago.
Marcel D likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Well, I just aquired an outboard for my dingy, but it's to small for any heavy weather, I have used it for light wind manuvering on the hip, and to set anchors. Scope is important, very. I oversized my anchor by a fluke ( no pun intended) A friend needed some money so I gave her 100 bucks for the big CQR and the 5/8 chain and fell in love with it. Before that my primary was the 35 pound danforth and the 3/8 set up, but I never slept well, worried while ashore and drug occasionaly. One time in Key West, I was anchored a little too close to the World Cup Ciggerette Boat race course. I had spent the night in town and in the morning, I saw the Coast Guard out on my boat trying to raise my Big anchor, which I'm glad was deployed because it was blowing 30 pluss. They couldn't do it for lack of technique, so they disconnected it and cast off and towed me to a city mooring. I wrote a letter and complaimed and they replaced it with a 25 pound Danforth and and some dinky little chain. They went by some book on size suggestions. The first time I hung that anchor up on something I bent it. When I got it up it looked like a pretzle and the chain links had seperated. I finally located my big anchor the next week on a transect dive. My 15 foot Boston Whaler has a 25 pound anchor as I dive out of it a lot and want to know it's there when I get back. My 40 foot dive boat has 40 pound danforth which has a bent fluke, too small. it's a lunch hook only. Those deltas and such are great untill it really blows and it drags a little and then hangs on some debris or a rock ledge, you'll bend it. I have a versatile inventory of anchors for the different bottoms I encounter.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHornblower View Post
I think scope is more or just as important as weight. I coastal cruise and anchor for no more than 3 to 5 nights before moving on. My 25 lbs danforth is my primary. I have never dragged. I do pay close attention to the weather before heading out. That being said I plan on buying a Rocna or Manson this summer before I do more extensive cruising this fall.
In my oppinion that pearson is a heavy boat and a 25 pounder is seriously under sized by half. I mean no disrespect and to each his own. But I hope you consider up sizing when you are shopping. If you have windless, why buy one of these light, fancy things. I can see if you hand raise why they are popular. In Belize we have these things called Biama's, the wind comes down out of the mountains at 40 knots. It goes from 0 to 40 in a second, and from the side. It's bumper boat night in Placencia when that happens.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We have a 75 lb CQR with 200 feet of 1/2" chain on our 54ft - 20 ton. These anchors do not have good reputations for setting and I do believe that many never actually get them set, but just swing around the chain pile they laid on the ocean floor.

However, we do get ours set, almost always on the first attempt. I've wondered if the heavier CQRs set better than the lighter ones I've seen tested. What I don't trust, however, is that it would reset itself if we spun around 180 degrees in a good blow overnight. One of these days, I am going to upgrade to the newest generation anchors.

When we drop most of the chain, the weight of it all is probably similar to many mooring blocks. It must be pushing 1,000 lbs. Any wind under 10 or 12 knots and she just won't move, set or not. It is impressive to be anchored in 25 knots and see that chain stretched and think of the stress it takes, which I did see just a few weeks ago.
I agree that all-chain anchor rode is the answer with the CQR. Big ships and naval moorings rely on the catenary curve of the chain as much as weight of the anchors - few anchors drag when the pull is straight along the bottom! We have a 45lb Kingston Plow (Canadian CQR copy) with 150 feet of 3/8 chain on our 9 ton Hunter 37 cutter. We used to sometimes have trouble setting it on a chain & rope rode, but after installing a windlass and all-chain, we never fail to get hooked. I also have a 45 lb Danforth and plan to add a Bruce (one of the most popular anchors around our waters).