Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Let's talk about anchors some more

I like big, what most consider "oversized" anchors. My boat is 28 feet, my primary anchor is a 50 pound CQR, with 100 feet of 5/8 chain. I don't drag, set it and forget it. My second anchor or "lunch hook" is 35 pound Danforth with 30 feet of 3/8 chain and 100 feet of 1/2 inch, 3 strand. My storm anchor, that is stored in an aft Lazzerette is a 70 pound Danforth that I put on the 5/8 chain. I carry 2, 100 pound dumbells that I use as sentinal's if I anchor deep. I carry dive gear and a lift bag for dealing with this ground tackle. I also have on board a 30 pound folding fisherman (my fav.) and this claw, plow looking thing, and a 35 pound northhill. I have all these on board and use all of them all the time. I've even made some money renting some of this gear to ill equiped cruisers when a blow is coming. I don't think you can have too much ground tackle on board. I'm writing this because I want people to look at their ground tackle and consider if it's actually big enough, or do they just have what the boat came with, or what they read was the right size somewhere.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I under stand 2 anchors but many as you have and all that chain? I would hate to have that much weight just for anchors
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Well the only chain I have is the 5/8 and the 30 feet of 3/8. It's in the Chain locker and it gives me a little weight in the bow. The other anchors are in lazzerette's and the dumb bells are in the bildge. I trade out anchors on the chain depending on the bottom. I don't have an engine so motoring out of situations isn't an option, and often sailing out isn't a good option but I do always anchor with sailing out in mind of course. The northhill actually has 10 feet of chain and some line on it cuz it's my stern emergancy anchor, quick deploy.
Old 07-23-2012

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road

My boat came w/a 45# cqr, hinge worn out, and rusty but never any problems w/moderate anchoring w/tide changes for a couple of years now.
I just bought a 45# Manson supreme as primary anchor.
Also, I want to get a bigger anchor for trop stroms/h-canes if I have to move from the dock and can't relocate the boat out of the way. My boat is a 10ton 40'er, thinking about a bigger rocna/manson 55#,65#...but kept off the boat, used in emergency.
On the other hand, I am thinking(hoping) the 45#er Manson would be fine on 200' of chain in a protected area(mud sand bottom), even for the worst blow.
Old 07-23-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

why don't you have a motor aboard? Also i just have a 30lbs plow and a 15lbs danforth. about 30ft chain and 200' rope
Old 07-23-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I like big, what most consider "oversized" anchors. My boat is 28 feet, my primary anchor is a 50 pound CQR, with 100 feet of 5/8 chain. I don't drag, set it and forget it. My second anchor or "lunch hook" is 35 pound Danforth with 30 feet of 3/8 chain and 100 feet of 1/2 inch, 3 strand. My storm anchor, that is stored in an aft Lazzerette is a 70 pound Danforth that I put on the 5/8 chain. ...............

Have you considered using the new generation anchors... you know, Mansons, Spades or perhaps even Rocnas now that they have officially downgraded their steel and will build it to that classification?
hypex likes this.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
why don't you have a motor aboard? Also i just have a 30lbs plow and a 15lbs danforth. about 30ft chain and 200' rope
I started out as a broke sailor with a broken engine and then evolved into purist. Once you've sailed as long and far as I have with no engine it becomes almost like an addiction. And a healthy ground tackle supply is essential. It's been my insurance for over 20 years. I don't drag, I used to, but I haven't in a long long time. and Ive been anchored out for about 8000 day's! in all conditions, all over the Caribbean and the Bahamas and Fla.
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Have you considered using the new generation anchors... you know, Mansons, Spades or perhaps even Rocnas now that they have officially downgraded their steel and will build it to that classification?
I've thought about it, I remember when the fortress came out, I like some weight. A 60 pound fortress won't fit in the back of my pick up truck.
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by b40Ibis View Post
My boat came w/a 45# cqr, hinge worn out, and rusty but never any problems w/moderate anchoring w/tide changes for a couple of years now.
I just bought a 45# Manson supreme as primary anchor.
Also, I want to get a bigger anchor for trop stroms/h-canes if I have to move from the dock and can't relocate the boat out of the way. My boat is a 10ton 40'er, thinking about a bigger rocna/manson 55#,65#...but kept off the boat, used in emergency.
On the other hand, I am thinking(hoping) the 45#er Manson would be fine on 200' of chain in a protected area(mud sand bottom), even for the worst blow.
See that's what I mean, I think 45 pounds is to small for a 40 footer, I think you should have 60 pound danforth on your bow with 100 of 1/2 inch chain, you'll sleep better, and so will the dudes down wind of you.
Old 07-23-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Aaron,how do you lift hose dumbbells out of the bilge and over the gunwales? How do you get them back aboard?