Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: wind conditions and reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasNYC View Post
I think my question was not so much about my sailing skills but about technical specifications and how to interpret them.
I added it to my profile, but for the record
I have an ALOA (no H) 34 its from 1974.
I am more trying to figure out what to do when overall wind is below reefing speed but there are gusts that go above. There are of course ways I can adjust the rigging so less wind his the sails, or I can head up-wind in a gust to keep from getting blown over.
Do you think the boat would get blown over in a 30 knot gust? Or just heel some more?
Andreas
I have a 34 footer draws 6 feet with 5,000 lb lead in the fin keel. I put a reef in the main when the wind hits a constant 20 knots (with gust to 25). and reef the furler jib a little. At 30 knots I would have two reefs in the main and the jib in more. was sailing like this once when gust hit over 40 k and suddenly started to lay the boat down more than I liked- quickly released the main sheet and boat came back (a little scary when single handing). I would set the sails for the largest gust expected. I'd rather be going slow and in total control.
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

The misnomer here is that a reef or two slows you down. In my experience, a properly reefed main with good sail shape will actually help you sail faster, all else equal. Excessive heeling is what slows you down.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrizzo View Post
The misnomer here is that a reef or two slows you down. In my experience, a properly reefed main with good sail shape will actually help you sail faster, all else equal. Excessive heeling is what slows you down.
I think the problems come when say the wind varies from say 10 knots to say 35. I would reef for say a 30 knot wind and be able to handle the 35. But at 10 knot, I'm going to be going slow, and if I got a big sea, getting knocked around a lot with no power. It is a predicament.
Old 07-26-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I think the problems come when say the wind varies from say 10 knots to say 35. I would reef for say a 30 knot wind and be able to handle the 35. But at 10 knot, I'm going to be going slow, and if I got a big sea, getting knocked around a lot with no power. It is a predicament.
Seriously? When is the last forecast you saw that was 10 kts, gusting to 35? The OP asked a question about being in 15-20 and being hit with a 30 kt gust without a reef. To your point...I wouldn't reef a sunfish in 10 kts even if you could reef a sunfish. Come on.
SVAuspicious and msmith10 like this.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrizzo View Post
Seriously? When is the last forecast you saw that was 10 kts, gusting to 35? The OP asked a question about being in 15-20 and being hit with a 30 kt gust without a reef. To your point...I wouldn't reef a sunfish in 10 kts even if you could reef a sunfish. Come on.
Come out my way and I'll show you 10 knots gusting to 35. I do not generally pay much attention to forcast. I have heard forcast here calling for 15 knots and I'm sailing in 35 at the time.

What's the sunfish got to do with anything?

Last edited by casey1999; 07-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised so few focused on heal instead of weather helm and rounding up in the gusts! In the skipjack I reef the main at 15 , at 20, I reef the jib, for gusts to thirty i want to be relaxed so probably would reef the main again. With that set up my tiller is easy and boat is up to hull speed. In the Morgan Id half reef (fishermans) an furl the genny to the mast. BUT my primary guide is helm pressure aka who is steering the boat and that is not atechnical calculation but a balance of boat sea and sky.
Cod
Old 07-26-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Cruise w/ your sails set for the gusts. Racers set their sails for the consistent wind and just deal w/ the gusts.
Singlehanding I am very conservative and don't hesitate to reef or even double reef at the dock before I even raise the sail.
But first I'd find someone to go out sailing w/ you on a day like that and see how the boat handles and reacts to gusts. EVERY boat is different and even the same models can be different depending on how they are laid out and how much load they have.

AND... reefing is just one option (and usually the only option some sailors think of). You can tighten the cunningham (or the halyard if you have more room to raise it), tighten the outhaul, vang and sheet and use the traveler... lots of options if your boat has all those pretty little strings to pull.
HDChopper and Jimmy E like this.
Old 07-26-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Well, whatever the conditions were 6 hours ago, I hope he gets off the river before 8 because all hell is probably going to break loose in an hour. T-storms are moving in.
They lost a J-24 last year in one...went right to the bottom.
Old 07-26-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Captrizzo
Less than 5knots close to zero with gusts 20+ are not uncommon July and August on the Delaware River, sometimes you can see them coming; ripples on the water, cloud banks, change in temperature. They don't last long but I still try to reduce sail before it hits or ride it out. Gust in 10knot winds to 35 are common in the summer.
When its all over I check the wind at PHL, my marina is under their landing approach.

THis was just a few minutes ago:

AT 735 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER
SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS
WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM NEW HOPE TO KING OF PRUSSIA
TO COATESVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...
WISSINOMING...TACONY...SOUTH PHILADELPHIA AND PHILADELPHIA
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT BY 745 PM EDT...

TULLYTOWN...CROYDON AND BRISTOL BY 750 PM EDT...

Last edited by Ulladh; 07-26-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

If you think there are going to be 30 kt gusts you should have a reef in main (and maybe reduce the headsail too, I guess that depends on your boat).

If you have reefed sails and are in 15 kt winds you will go a little slower than if you have full sail up. But, if you have full sail up and get hit with 30 kt winds, you will be on your ear and you can break things too.

Since you asked, if you do have full sail up and get hit with a gust you have two choices. You can pinch the boat up into the wind and feather it there. The sails will flog a little or a lot (depending on how high you point) but the but will be mostly upright and probably not too uncomfortable. If you were on a beam reach and get hit you can ease sheets and run off downwind. You better have a lot of sea room in that case because you will need it.

Barry
SVAuspicious likes this.
Mt. Sinai, NY