Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
My boat has had 2 lightning strikes over a 10 year period and I was glad my policy covered equipment replacement without depreciation. Not all policies--including BoatUS, last time I checked--would pay for full replacement.
Two lightning strikes in the past 10 years? Am very curious as to what lightning protection/grounding systems you employ, if any.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I personally don't stand in water or hold golf clubs in the air during electrical storms.
I don't pee on cow fences or jam knives in electrical outlets either.
This is just common sense and that boy might still be alive if he was not in the water.
That being said that family was struck point blank and lightning is unpredictable.
There was no negligence on their part as they bet they could get to shore and under cover before lightning hit. They bet wrong is all.

For lightning protection I use a tin foil hat and a magic fuzzy ball at the masthead.

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 09-04-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I got a follow-up question to all you folks in the know... I have a deck stepped mast, on a trailerable boat. I am not an electrical newb, having an EE background, but mathmatically speaking "cone" notwithstanding, I don't think it'd be pleasant to be on a boat struck by lightning grounded, but ungrounded as is the case on my boat, particularly unpleasant (thinking holing the boat to get to the keel for grounding).

I know of no grounding between my chainplates, and my keel, therefore in freshwater as I am and mine being the tallest mast in our club (or one of them), I figure my boat is MOST likely to get struck. I've considered running a heavy gauge wire from my chainplates to my keelbolts. Anyone ever considered this "special case?" Is the freshwater neutral enough that lightning will avoid masts on freshwater, and prefer a tree?

PS: I've always been told that a keel stepped masted sailboat was safer than being on shore/beach/near trees in a storm. These pop-up t-storms can come up quick and wondered if there was a "procedure" or preventative that can help prevent a tragedy.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 09-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Even though it was "fresh" water, it still conducts. And when lightning is about one of the rules is STAY OUT OF WATER because any strike in your area, will spread through the water and that's going to hurt or kill anyone in it.

Opinions about lightning safety vary, but storms rarely just happen.

The most productive thing might be to wait a while, and then hold some lightning safety classes. Including the most basic one: If the sky is gray and the forecast, which you DID listen to, call for storms? GTF off the water. Now, not later.

Some docks also keep a weather radio going all day, at the dockhouse, for the benefit of folks who have showed up without checking the weather. That's not expensive either.
Old 09-04-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
I got a follow-up question to all you folks in the know... I have a deck stepped mast, on a trailerable boat. I am not an electrical newb, having an EE background, but mathmatically speaking "cone" notwithstanding, I don't think it'd be pleasant to be on a boat struck by lightning grounded, but ungrounded as is the case on my boat, particularly unpleasant (thinking holing the boat to get to the keel for grounding).

Ungrounded or not There is no real proof either way as to safety.

A lighting bolt with several million volts does not act the same as 12 dc.

What there is proof of is the Faraday Cage Principle.

You are unlikely to get physical hurt sitting down inside a FG boat especially with an alum mast. But Lightening strikes are each unique and unpredictable.
Old 09-18-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

What about steel sailboat?? if your inside would they act as a giant faraday cage? and if your on the outside of the boat? would the electricity run through the hole boat or hit the mast, shroud and stays and then use the shortest path to water??

Pierre
Old 10-04-2012

contrarian is on a distinguished road

Here is a quote that I find quite interesting and pretty much sums my analysis of the question at hand.
Quote:
have a friend who survey's boats for a living and was previously in the boat repair business. His exact comment to me was I would never tell a client to ground his boat. So I asked him - "so you advise against it" and he replied " I would never tell a client not to ground a boat." He said he defers the question becuase its too much of a liability.
Same would go for the Stay in the Boat or get to shore.
Myself I stay in the grounded boat in spite of and because of the grounded boat having the same potential as the water.
Old 10-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
... My boat has had 2 lightning strikes over a 10 year period ...

Jesus, that is not really very bad luck? Strikes on boats are common there?

This year in Greece I made acquaintance with a Scottish couple on a cat that had been hit on the beginning of this year. They repaired the boat on Cleopatra marina that is a big marina, not on the water but on land, I mean that’s the place where many sailors leave the boat for winter and they had said that in many years they had only another boat hit by lightning.

Regards

Paulo
marktrigg likes this.
Old 10-04-2012

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

I'm of the non-bonded school of thought, I do disconnect my VHF antenna and have everyone stay inside.
Old 10-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ok..we were side sturck by lightning this summer on a mooring in Back Creek Annapolis surrounded by 900 other sailboats. Our boat is grounded to a plate on the hull. The lightening hit a water tower next to us...came through the water up the shaft, melted the Yanmar engine panel, traveled through the engine ground back into the panel, Indescriminately fried instruments ( chartplotter, depthfinder, red LED in two way ficxtures shore charger, VHF ram mike, went up the mast, blew off the windex and wind instrument and hopped to the mast of the sailboat moored next to us. When the charged hit the panel in the cabin there was a blinding ball flash, our hair stood up, oozone smell. I pad, Mobile VHF, TV anannne and radar, white LED in two way fixtures were not affected. All in a milli second. We are bonded and have one of those burr things on the mast top.

1 million volts will go where it wants...give it a path out so it doesnt blow a hole through something looking for it. Can you prevent from being hit. Yes...dont own a sailboat. You can maybe incvrease your odds, but there are no sure remedies or cloaking devices here.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.