Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do?

If you've ever read the publicly available papers on what "military grade hardened" electronics and systems are, you would understand why no one can afford to put them on a boat. Check out what is needed to "EM harden" a building, you'd have to build a submarine to do it to your boat.

Similarly, why not ground the rudder? Uh, because it is already "grounded" by being fully submerged in the water. Unless you want to run a cable down to an earth anchor grounding rod, that job is already done.

Lightning protection works frequently but never completely. Check out PolyPhaser and install one in your antenna line to protect your VHF. But it won't protect your antenna, antennas are sacrificial parts. If you want to protect the antenna, you submerge the boat before the storm. Honest, that's how it is done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013

peterconway is on a distinguished road

Lightning kills as it passes thru critical tissue, ie the heart and vital organs, fortunately because of its high frequency it is more likely to flash over the body, verses entering and exiting. Many time it's victims are burned at the skin level, their clothes shredded off and they survive.
Any electricity, even small amount can kill if it passes through and disrupts normal heart rhythm. Other tissue is cooked to the point of failure.
The best defense is to avoid, but if you can't avoid, there are things you can do to increase you chances of survival. The MOST beneficial thing would be to crouch, with you ankles touching and not hold with a hand hold. This makes you the lowest possible target, and by keeping you ankles together will allow the difference of potential to be confined to the feet and not travel through the legs. The current, if it is radiating will travel up a foot, cross at the contact point of the ankles, an exit the other foot. Remember, electricity is stupid....it's only goal is to get to ground, the best and easiest way it can.
Old 09-30-2013

sloop.odyssey is on a distinguished road

Lightning scares the hell out of me, but if I stayed ashore every time "scattered thunderstorms" are predicted around Cape Cod in the summer, I'd never sail. I have never been struck, so can't guarantee this works, but fastening one end of heavy-duty jumper cables to the inboard backing plate of my sloop's chain plates, and the other end to the keel bolts, would seem to provide a good temporary solution. (I've also grounded the mast to a keel bolt.)